• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor is rather...slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Greetings, I have been having a bit of a problem with my World Editor, and it has been a problem that has persisted since my model moderating days (after my return six months ago). And quite frankly...I am rather tired of not opening my World Editor and doing anything because of this problem:

Problem said:
My World Editor is rather slow, and laggish.

I am running an XP Desktop and yes I can run Warcraft 3 on max, etc, etc.

When I open the editor it takes a 'laggish while' to open the default map, and when I am on that map it lags when trying to open the various tags like "Object Editor", it takes forever to edit the stuff inside, and quite frankly its a bit of a pain to try and do anything in the editor due to the sloth of it. It also likes to spike my CPU usage, for no apparent reason.

this is one reason I did not like moderating models, since it took forever

It did not do this before, and until recently (recently being when I came back about six months ago) the editor was fast and didn't lag.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

I have reinstalled warcraft 3 several times, it is legitimate, and I've patched it, etc. I do not have the wc3 CD in the drive if that has any bearing on the situation.

Thank you for your time, and patience.

-Elenai Lefein-

Level 19
It always spikes CPU usage which is normal
You may get maximum performance from game which doesnt show that you have good performance on CPU and thats because games require graphics card to be better rather than CPU

Suggestions:
-Clean your CPU
-Clean your registery in a good way and turn off the services you dont need and remove cpu spamming applications)
-Format

And like the Blooddancer said
If you get lag when Creating-Renaming-Changing Icon of Unit-Ability etc
You need to close Brush List from windows menu

Brush List doesnt affect the opening time of object editor and tabs in it

Level 7
Where is this "brush list" you people are talking about and how can I get rid of it? I've had my editor defaulted to no new map created when its opened for a long time already. But my main problem with editing is whenever I change the tooltip for any unit it takes a good 15 seconds or something (this is not for ability tooltips though). Any other reasons or help?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Brushlist is on the main map view window under one of the menues.

The reason it makes a long delay is it updates the entire brushlist which consists of all units available. Removing it stops it doing that so it runs a lot faster. Naturally, when you change something it should spike your CPU usage as it has quite a lot to update. Even changing web pages can load a CPU noticably so it is not a worry.

Level 12
World Editor will always be a bit laggy because the limits of an old program do not scale with hardware. I'm running a ridiculous system and it still lags for me, to load maps or even edit a few names. It lags because that's how the editor's functions were made.

And the object editor will always lag upon loading for the first time, even without the brush list. You just have to deal with it in your own way.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
World Editor will always be a bit laggy because the limits of an old program do not scale with hardware. I'm running a ridiculous system and it still lags for me, to load maps or even edit a few names. It lags because that's how the editor's functions were made.

And the object editor will always lag upon loading for the first time, even without the brush list. You just have to deal with it in your own way.

WE can not truely lag if you have a multi core system. It might have delay on some actions but as it is single threaded it should not cause your PC to lag and your mouse and other programs should run normally. This kind of delay is not due to it being old, it is due to structure of programming that was used.

To get rid of any such delay, the program would have to be written where by changing a field alters as little as possiable and any prolonged changes are brought about over time (eg building the brushlist is a background task so would not delay your actions a bit but changes in it would not be noticable insantly).
As this is a editor, such delays are not of real importance and are best ignored.

WE does not lag on map load. You may think it does, but so does WC3. Basically, the entire load bar thing is just the loading of the map data. After that is complete it then displays the map which requires the loading of all the model and icon data to be displayed. In WC3 both those loads were fused into the map load so it can start imediatly while in WE the main view window handles the model loading and so it is done after the initial map load.

If anything they should have included that into the loading process by adding a progress bar on how many game files have to be loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.