• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] World Editor Not Opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello everyone,

As you have read the title, my World Editor does not open, and my Warcraft version is 1.29. It only opens after computer boots for a short amount of time. Same case with Warcraft 1.24. Strangely, World Editor from Warcraft 1.31 can be opened fine without any problems. No windows error popped up when I tried to open World Editor. I tried deleting "WorldEdit" folder in Registry Editor but that didn't work either. Does anyone know how to fix?

Level 29
The main problem is that 1.31 World Editor no longer uses MPQ.
This might be reason the old WE isn't working because it was looking for MPQ file.
The only possible solution was to delete older versions of Warcraft 3, including its registry keys.

Level 6
The main problem is that 1.31 World Editor no longer uses MPQ.
This might be reason the old WE isn't working because it was looking for MPQ file.
The only possible solution was to delete older versions of Warcraft 3, including its registry keys.
I want to use older Warcraft versions because my friend's computer isn't strong enough to play Warcraft 1.31, but their computers run smoothly below that. So I wanted to keep older Warcraft versions. But deleting old registry keys might work. Do you know where I can locate that?

Level 29
I want to use older Warcraft versions because my friend's computer isn't strong enough to play Warcraft 1.31, but their computers run smoothly below that. So I wanted to keep older Warcraft versions. But deleting old registry keys might work. Do you know where I can locate that?
They are located in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment".

Attachments

• Regedit W3 2.jpg
    Regedit W3 2.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Regedit W3.jpg
    Regedit W3.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 164
Level 29
I tried deleting "WorldEdit" and "Warcraft III" folders but it still didn't work. WE remains unopened.
This is very strange. Some people said you have to delete the registry, but not for you.
Also, you mean "World Editor 1.29 or 1.24 not open, but not for 1.31"? Please read the statement (I don't know if this might be the reason):
Blizzard is only supporting the latest official installed release (1.32.8 as of this writing), along with any current PTR (1.32.9 as of this writing) afaik. Any other setup of whatever combination of any previous versions is a FrankenInstall, that might lead to unexpected results.
Corrected Reforged version: 1.32.10 is the latest version of official install (as of this writing).
It's recommended you DON'T use multiple versions if you want World Editor because having both versions of Warcraft 3 can lead to World Editor issues.
Your best choice was to completely remove the game and registry. Follow this guide:
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

Level 6
This is very strange. Some people said you have to delete the registry, but not for you.
Also, you mean "World Editor 1.29 or 1.24 not open, but not for 1.31"? Please read the statement (I don't know if this might be the reason):
Yes, WE 1.31 can be opened without any problems, but it's not the same case for 1.24 and 1.29. They can only be opened for a few seconds after the computer boots up. After 3 minutes, WE 1.24 and 1.29 cannot be opened, which I thought one of my programs caused the problem, but I don't know which
Corrected Reforged version: 1.32.10 is the latest version of official install (as of this writing).
It's recommended you DON'T use multiple versions if you want World Editor because having both versions of Warcraft 3 can lead to World Editor issues.
Your best choice was to completely remove the game and registry. Follow this guide:
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files
I think this only works for Patch 1.31? Either way, I have tried it and WE 1.24 and 1.29 still failed to open up.

Level 29
I think this only works for Patch 1.31? Either way, I have tried it and WE 1.24 and 1.29 still failed to open up.
Sorry about my badass question, but I would say there is no MPQ in 1.31.
If you have both versions (like 1.24 and 1.31), opening WE 1.24 won't work because the program tries to load the MPQ that 1.31 had (which isn't available).
Maybe your problem should be related to this one:
Unable to load War3.mpq

Level 6
So I have decided to reset my computer to see if the problem is solved. The problem is solved, but I still could not find out why WE 1.29 will not open after 3 minutes after booting the computer up. The reason remained unknown.

Last edited:
Level 29
So I have decided to reset my computer to see if the problem is solved. The problem is solved, but I still could not find out why WE 1.29 will not open after 3 minutes after booting the computer up. The reason remained unknown.
Okay. I hope your World Editor is fully worked without problem after several opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.