• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Working on a new Map, first ever since childhood - need critique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So when I was a kid I used to mess around with the editor with my brother, but we didn't even have internet access back then, and we certainly had no knowledge of triggers/coding.

I have a very basic strategy map that I've created. It is not completed, I plan to add 3 or 4 more races, and things need to be fully fleshed out. I wish I had better access to icons/models, but I use what I can.

I still was wondering if this is the right place to get my map critiqued. Even with my "excuses" about models/icons, I still want to be told why something is bad or how it could be improved. I would also like my map itself critiqued, like the terrain and such, but only within the confines of the original World Editor (as I am aware there is an 'advanced' editor out there that many people use/recommend, but I am unsure if jumping straight into it is correct).

Anyway, the map does use gold mines/lumber as the means to attain resources. I understand that sticking to the base game principles feels bad to people, and they prefer CPs or Income resources but I feel both of those eliminate skill from the equation quite frequently, and encourage snowballing/rush strategies that cause games to feel bad at times. I do, however, think that resource management can be a plus, and so I created a game where gold mines exist as the primary income source. It has all been adjusted for how I want the pace of the game to go, however, and I would like that critiqued as well.

I wanted an "Azeroth Wars" feel to the map, with my own world and custom races, but without the CP system. This does mean I intend to add events, and one idea I really want to implement is somewhere in the area of 4-7 custom NPC controlled areas, that are ESSENTIALLY CPs, but the overarching income system in the game itself is still not a CP system, I just want to give players places to fight over and give them a strategic edge. That level of triggering, however, is still above me and I am still reading and learning to attempt to do that. But if anyone has a advice or help on that, I would greatly appreciate it.

I also have extensive lore planned for the map, it is not random. I have a lot of background lore already written, and in some tooltips you can see where I attempted to integrate it, but realized that was probably futile as nobody is reading tooltips during playtesting, haha. I wanted to include an introduction, like Azeroth Wars has for it's races, that tells you who you are, what you're playing as, and some ideas of how to start, but that has also been a challenge, despite the elementary level of the trigger usage, and if anyone can help me with that I would greatly appreciate it.

This is the map, or even better, if you would add Kogor US East in game, or look for a map called "Fantasy Wars ALPHA TEST" or something to that affect, I am almost always hosting at every time of the day (unit doesn't start for another 3 days) and often it is impossible to find help. But the few times I have found help I got amazing critique, and some horrible comments as well, but people tend to enjoy the map.

Thank you for your time, english is not my first language so I apologize.

Kogor

Link to Hiveworkshop upload: Fantasy Wars ALPHA v0.02

Last edited:
Level 2
Hi there. A nice concept. I like it, and gave it a try. I see it is ealry alpha, so i wont comment on the large unfinished areas. there is a lot of work to do and you know it probably. but keep working on it. The models of the units i saw so far are really nice, and the tech tree is realy interesting. ( played as the dwarven facrtion)

A few points that i realized not working as intended.

-I was not abel to buy items from the Dwarvern Forum with my hero.
-Axe throwers projectile is buged, and not shown
-Town hall description says it recieve gathered resources, but it does not.

Regards
Cookie

KPC

KPC

Level 7
Why outrider has mana points? Also why he has info that he is 7 lvl and other units don’t have it? Many units have the same problem (centaur/murloc race). Why can I upgrade workshop to shipyard?
Order March hot key letter should be written same as order attack, I mean: [T] not [t].
What about DISBTN icons? Javelineer portrait? Sockers abilities should be put up properly.
Upgrades (8 tier) have many same icon, u can various them by adding more. Thaladorian Justice should have passive icon. Things in the market should be put up better. Surging Mist, there is MIst, should be Mist, albo icon should be autocast not BTN. Also other icons position in every build should be static. High Priest portrait? Headshot icon is weird choice coz shows hammer. Cleave icon as an upgrade should be BTN. Many centaurs collision size is wrong. Between the eyes icon upg should be BTN. Fortress collision size is wrong. Swordsman, Ice Giant portrait? Ice Giant, Celiae Garden icon is not cool as it can be. Training Grounds and Hunters Hall selection size is wrong. There should be a description as others for Rest, Mortal in Hero Abilities selection. Hero can gain lvl 25 and descriptions are up to 3 lvl? Chimera should be puted as last not as first unit. Swordsman run animation speed is wrong. Snow elves should looks more like snow elves not like high elves. Ice thrower, what about ice bolt attack animation? Mounted Hunter selection size is wrong. Death Tower ground should be changed. Barracks contain chaos with icons in there. Boiling Concoction should appear earlier. Infernal Juggernaught collision size is wrong and it should be as last unit, not the middle. Diabolist abilities icons messed up. Sky Barge collision size. Is diabolist flying? Infection icon in select abilities should be BTN and contain description.Tiderunner name contain his description. Huntsman collision size. Poisonous Claws passive icon. Kings Hut is strange. Primordial Shrine when is building there is nothing also disbtn icon. Necromancer collision size is wrong and abilities from should be put from worst to best. Murlocs race will need more work. Tidesage icon is strange also collision and selection size is wrong. Loca collision and selection size wrong. Den of the Dark Arts icon is strange. Exorcism is strange by name looking on its usage, icon could be passive. Summoner icon is strange. Altar of the one strange model choice is strange. Seer icon strange. Obliterate position and hotkey. Broken Stronghold selection and coalition size. U can do more with terrain. The whole area is flat. Ramps also could look better. There could be more doodads to make the game more interesting. There cant be grass next to the ice. Centaurs/Naga continent should has entrance from the north. Also grass for naga or murlocs are not the best choice. U can add some custom items. Income timer should appear after introduction. There can be more creep camps, creeps should drop better items and more often. When I order units with hero group to move and I change the point to move everyone instead of hero normally go there. Only hero was still moving to place I order him at last order. High Priest master train requires: fortress, how to do that? And their sound set is strange. Wild Warrior model does not disappear when he dies for long. Guardsman collision is wrong. Waves of justice have strange name looking on its effect, it also heals enemy. I'm not sure if the items cost is balanced. Spyglass should has same description as other abilities. Enemy shop choose your hero to trade with. I’m also not sure if units cost is balanced. Ex. Mortar team. Grudge is too small and run so funny. Change his move animation speed. Game Data Set is old.

I like the idea of the map despite the fact that there are a lot of them. I saw something original in yous. It has the potential to become a good map. I like the idea of snow elves, they are original. Ritual is also very nice idea. The map is interesting and nice to explore. Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.