• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Worgen Icons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
Worgen/Werewolf, Gnoll and Troll Icon Workshop.

Hi guys, I am after ideas for some worgen, wolf, gnoll, werewolf icons. Any ideas, concepts or sketches for icons or such are appreciated.

I have already created afew icons in various styles, I am running out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:
Trolls added, general reskins for textures possibly considered. :)

Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

Here's mine, But I need someone to convert it to a Digital painting version, with a better details and stuff on my Drawing, It's based on my Old notebook, but my camera is a bit Blurry. :<

pwia.png

Level 14
Your icons seem to be centered around wolf showing teeth, with few about their claws.

Wolves are so psychologically diverse! Look at some wolf videos on youtube. They are animals that show a wide range of emotions - from dominance and anger (showing teeth), through fear (showing teeth and keeping its ears low), through happiness and curiosity (just look at THIS).

Also, you have quite different wolf imagery through different cultures, both in pop and folklore. Look at this album artwork, for example. Something similar can create a great image.

Of course, you are talking about worgens, which are basically Victorian-England themed werewolves.

Werewolves are present throughout almost every culture in which wolves played a central role, especially Europe. Would you go with Slavic vlkodavs, which are more wolf than men, or Caribbean, where werewolves are the guardians of the afterlife? Of course, you need to fit in the Victorian theme that WoW follows.

As for more influence, I recommend watching Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola's version). Yes, it is about vampires, but it has such strong imagery, including wolf, that it's sure to have some influence on you.

Just look at this scene, for example.

However I should warn you that the film is quite erotic at times.

With that said, a more concrete suggestion is to go for a half-human, half-worgen face, or a worgen face that has more human expression. Currently all of you icons look too beastly.

Level 45
Here's mine, But I need someone to convert it to a Digital painting version, with a better details and stuff on my Drawing, It's based on my Old notebook, but my camera is a bit Blurry. :<
Sorry Roland, but I am not taking upon the task of redrawing peoples entire works into digital paintings, but merely taking upon ideas/concepts for icons :/

Your icons seem to be centered around wolf showing teeth, with few about their claws...........

I understand, however, I have great affinity for beastly creatures or demons. Teeth, eyes and claws are a fascination I have had since childhood, and can be present in nearly all my artworks. However, there are 2 things I do not like about certain types of Werewolves, that is the "Wolf-man" and the "feral Werewolves. I despises werewolves that take upon the appearance of a standard wolf, or a person changing into wolves, and I really despises Wolfmen (Flat nosed/wolfy humans). I find them to be insulting to the beastly Werewolves, the Wolfmen look like hairy bipedal monkeys.

The Worgen is a very tricky form of Werewolf, a feature they contain is that their top canines are at the front rather than behind the bottom canine teeth. My capabilities on drawing werewolves have already varied, I have trouble keeping a distinct style since I tend to explore different ones unintentionally each time, even with my personal character/persona who is a demonic werewolf like creature.

Thankyou for your references and your tips, will take them in :)
---------------------------

Here is something I have been working on since the creation of this thread. I am trying to do a more worgen like Werewolf,
Worgenrunshow.jpg

inspired by this:
http://blog.weflyspitfires.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Curse-of-the-Worgen-e1290118285615.jpg

Roland

R

Roland

Well, My drawing can be a concept for your Upcoming Icon makings C:

Level 14
However, there are 2 things I do not like about certain types of Werewolves, that is the "Wolf-man" and the "feral Werewolves. I despises werewolves that take upon the appearance of a standard wolf, or a person changing into wolves, and I really despises Wolfmen (Flat nosed/wolfy humans). I find them to be insulting to the beastly Werewolves, the Wolfmen look like hairy bipedal monkeys.

I don't think we mean the same think by "wolfmen". Worgen ARE wolfmen, just like Slavic werewolves. It is actually the Germanic werewolves that are either more "feral" or more "human".

Werewolves-2.jpg

And, if you despise the concept of men changing into wolf... well... ehm... they are called werewolves? I haven't heard of any other type of a werewolf.

Level 45
I don't think we mean the same think by "wolfmen". Worgen ARE wolfmen, just like Slavic werewolves. It is actually the Germanic werewolves that are either more "feral" or more "human".

d, if you despise the concept of men changing into wolf... well... ehm... they are called werewolves? I haven't heard of any other type of a wolf.

No, I mean Werewolves, like these:
445.jpg

I despise monkey "Wolfmen".

I do not despise the concept of the werewolf, I despise the that men change into a feral/natural wolf, not a Werewolf, an anthropomorphic wolf, a unity of man and wolf to create a beastial being, I personally enjoy animalistic/beastly Werewolves like this:

319750.jpg

Werewolf-werewolves-7315437-689-707.jpg

Level 45
Heh, I guess my sense of Werewolf is quite illogical and bias. I do not know much of the history of Werewolves, but I have an affinity for ones "own inner werewolf" we are all capable of. Personally, I follow these ideals of the way of the Werewolf (fictional):

-A transformation of physical nature into a anthropomorphic bestial wolf being.
-Bloodlust, rage, hunger and freedom to let loose.
-Animal like nature and instincts, wanting to attack, eat, consume, maim but with a sense of sadistic nature. A killing machine.
-An elongated snout with large fangs, it is a A+ for me :D
-Longer, grasping claws is a plus too :)

OR...

If we are talking more literal here, in the sense of what can be more so achievable in the "Real life" perspective....then:
-The transformation of ones inner psyche to represent that of what a presumable (if real werewolf) was to be born into ones mind. Eg. A socio/psychopath with a more bestial instinctive nature.
-A human who is given wolf-like blessings, skills and powers given to those who have a human form, but with the mind of a werewolf/bestial being, eg. Heightened smell, bloodlust, hunting capabilities and insight etc

My personal tastes for Werewolves has been a fascination of both bestial fascinations, and that of my own inner demons or as one would call "Werewulf" (that's the spelling of his name). Deep down inside, as crazy as this sounds, we all are werewolves, its a matter of what you want to call your inner "form" inside your head. Physically we don't change, but we have the capabilities of being "another person" "evil" "sadistic" "a bad person" or such. This is why, the red werewolf I keep drawing, is symbolized as my own inner werewolf (Although he is actually more so a demon).

Sorry, starting to get abit off topic here X(....

---------------------------------------
But anyway, any other ideas? :)... Any concepts would help, I might try what you linked before, of a wolf infront of a moon. I tried to draw it on a smaller scale awhile ago, but it turned out horrible X(...I'll see if I can make it a bigger resolution.

Roland

R

Roland

I really Like your Icons, But it's really better when it's in the Larger version of the Image ^^ You made a good work done Kim! :D

Cool stuff. I really like the moon concept. I don't really have recommendations for it--I like it the way it is.

One thing that would be interesting (although, possibly a bit difficult to portray in an icon) would be the movement of a worgen. I always found the running wild icon to be a little strange. I bet you could top that.

Another interesting scene could be the transformation of a worgen. When Cata was first released, I would always transform in and out of worgen form just because the animation was so cool. :p

Roland

R

Roland

Thankyou Roland :)

Here are some more I whipped up, but as stated, im having trouble shading due to my laptop lagging photoshop/the brush.
WorgenDeathKnightshow.jpg
icons_16855_btn.jpg

WorgenAlphashow.jpg
icons_16854_btn.jpg

It seems to be a Creepy artwork, but The shading needs more work, I understand your problem you're having. Anyway, Make more Icons if you want ^^

Roland

R

Roland

Wow, I really like it! How about a Roar Icon? but much more tribal theme? Anyway, Keep up the good work!

Level 45
Roar Icon? Hmm, sounds like a good idea :)
=============

More done/added:
icons_16861_btn.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btngnollbloodlust-243576/

icons_16862_btn.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnworgenbloodlust-243577/

More to be added to the icon section once things are sorted/less spammed:
BTNGnollLeap
BTNGnollLeap.jpg
GnollLeap.jpg

BTNWorgenLeap
BTNWorgenLeap.jpg
WorgenLeap.jpg

======================================

Another one, this one will have a guide connected to it :)
A more detailed Worgen icon, this one followed a process I will discuss later on when I have time.

A PSD VERSION IS ATTACHED FOR YOU TO FIDDLE WITH (jaw unfixed psd version)

16.jpg

BTNWorgenCommand.jpg
ATCWorgenCommand.jpg
PASWorgenCommand.jpg
DISBTNWorgenCommand.jpg

ITS GOOD TO BE BACK ON MY DESKTOP COMPUTER!! FINALLY... A NON-LAGGY PHOTOSHOP :D

Attachments

• GnollLeapIcons.rar
    33.2 KB · Views: 77
  • WorgenLeapIcons.rar
    33.2 KB · Views: 80
  • WorgenCommand.psd
    2.5 MB · Views: 302
  • WorgenCommandIcons.rar
    29.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.