1. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

(WIP) Curse of River's End

Discussion in 'Dota 2' started by invalidnick, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Wow, you've made some great progress, and it is definitely looking great.

Looking forward to more news from you!

2. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    So my friends, the time has come: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=381995351

The DotA version of CORE is out, thanks to everyone that helped playtest it!
    We will continue to work on the PvP version (and I will keep on updating this thread as we make progress)

I just started on a interior props set, which will feature beds, shelfs, ovens, tables, chairs, lamps, desks, stairs, lights, books,...etc,

This is the updated paintover, the sword now also has correct textures in game!
    [​IMG]

3. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

One more concept, the Graveyard in CORE

4. Noya

Noya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Stats when? :D

I really want to see how many people are playing it ^^

5. Fang

Fang

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ďang is this wc3

6. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:

What subforum are you in...

7. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Lovely concept, waiting for more :)

8. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    All the major cover art for core is unofficially over :)
    We got some more map updates coming in a few weeks, I'd say around end of April when I'm back home in NYC, will also try to wrap up the PvP version (that we've been working on soooo long...errrk)

In the meantime I've started to work on something else,
    It's really to early to give it a description unless you can tap into my brain, but will hopefully be pretty cool once it's done...

[​IMG]

9. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Interesting, my votes on the first DotA 2 map with a dynamic field.

10. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    Something like that, hopefully it will be a fresh new palette :)

11. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    Been a while since I posted anything...
    Core is still going strong with somewhat 30' subscribers, and we are super eager to fix all the issues we have found so far!
    If you haven't checked it out, here is the link to the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=381995351

This is the list of issues and bugs we've got so far:

Bugs:
    - Music stops when the game starts
    - Top lane does not meet exactly in the middle
    - Bottom lane does not meet exactly in the middle
    - Buildings near top camps (by the cliff) needs FoV blockers
    - Mid T2 Radiant tower is destroyed by a few hits
    - Can see outside the map at a few places along the border
    - Ward spots need to be tweaked (right now they are pretty useless)
    - Trigger_no_wards does not work
    - No water sound/effects when walking in the water

Suggestions waiting to be implemented:
    - Increase size of team bases
    - Move top T2 towers closer to T1
    - Create custom minimap
    - Update night lighting (too dark)
    - Delete a tree near Secret in Radiant base (should only require 1 tango to access Secret Shop)
    - Add homeshop trigger to ESEX mailboxes in the town
    - Clean up some goddam trees
    - New models for grave stone
    - New signs for town-shops (blacksmith etc...)
    - Remove/move skylight above Secret on Radiant side

Future (wish list):
    - Animate Lamarr
    - Animate G-man
    - Custom soundtrack
    - Custom skybox
    - Custom creeps
    - House/ground destruction when destroying towers
    - Secret event (secret)

Some of the issues seems to be out of our reach, but we will do our best to clean up as much as possible!

Also, wanted to share a little update on our next project, which still is in it's creative cradle, when we are ready to start working on it I'll most probably create a new thread, and keep this thread for CORE :)
    Here is a early material and setting test by Daskaren

[​IMG]

12. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
  13. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJI5TT8fGa0

1 hour time lapse movie combining (almost) all raw footage I've captured during the development of CORE

14. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sooo...milords,

We are back in business, hopefully we will have a pretty decent update of core_dota this weekend, here are some things that we have worked on,

Iterated on the layout, especially around the graveyard, it felt a little cramped. Moved the secret shop and added some more ancient camps, in addition G-man is now (also) a secret shop reachable by blink or similar ability, the esex mailbox is now a side shop,
    Updated the (previously useless) ward spots, they can now be used as intended,
    Increased the team bases and added some new art for grave stoned and town signs, also fixed a bunch of scripting bugs with the towers...

Stay tuned :)

15. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    CORE dota Update #1

New content:

Added some more variations to the gravestones, in time I hope to add some destruction to these objects, might be "fun"

[​IMG]

The Alchemist has a new sign, when we get time we will add some proper joints to the new (and old) signs to make them sway,

[​IMG]

The town Armory has been updated with a new sign,

[​IMG]

The Blacksmith house has been updated with a new sign,

[​IMG]

Gameplay updates:

The G-man is now a secret shop, at some point in the near future we will add some small idle animation to him

[​IMG]

The ESEX mailbox in the town now serve as a proper Side shop

[​IMG]

The Secret shop has moved (replaced by Ancient camps on each side)

[​IMG]

Wider space at the crossing near middle, also a little re-shuffle in the graveyard area, mostly cleanups,

[​IMG]

A big issue in the previous release was the poorly made ward spots, all of them have been updated, these are the new ward spots:

Dire side - middle T2 ward spot, removed the neutral camp is this area and cleaned up some trees

[​IMG]

Dire side - bottom T2 ward spot, secret shop has been removed and replace with a Ancient camp

[​IMG]

Radiant side - middle T2 ward spot, removed the neutral camp in this area, also cleaned up a few trees

[​IMG]

Radiant side - bottom T2 ward spot, cleaned up some trees, moved Secret shop and replaced it with a Ancient camp,

[​IMG]

Additional updates:

- Increased size of team bases - or rather, pushed back the Ancient closer to team fountain,
    - Tweaked placement for T1 and T2 top and middle (both teams)
    - Cleaned up some trees and unnecessary decals around in the map, will hopefully make movement more smooth
    - Fixed health bug with Radiant middle T2 tower (only had 150hp)
    - Tweaked brightness during night (was too damn dark)
    - Removed ceiling and lowered the walls around Roshans pit (might need to be lowered even more)
    - Various material tweaks on the ground
    - Fixed a few issues with Fov blockers at top
    - Fixed some pathing issues around in the map
    - Fixed a few areas where the camera could see outside the map
    - Changed the spawning properties to random in all Neutral camps

The most obvious bugs left to fix:

- The trigger_no_wards does not work (so players can place wards in areas where it's not intended), think it might be a SDK related issue
    - There is no water sound/effect when walking in the water (might be related to a issue where custom blend materials does not create walkable collision - or its something else that I yet haven't found)
    - The music stops when the game starts, super annoying since I love the dota2 music, kills the immersion for me, but might be considered a small issue,
    - The creep waves does not meet perfectly in the middle, a tweaking issue I will fix when I manage to find where the properties are set for the lane creep spawning - might be hard coded

Waiting to do a few more run-troughs of the map before it will be pushed out, also need to update the overview images, hopefully I'll have time to update the workshop version Monday night,

If anyone in my friends list on steam want's to take it for a spin; you find the latest version of the map here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377641582

Sorry for the low res pictures and poor graphics settings, I'm on my potato computer,

Have a nice weekend!

:goblin_boom:

...ooh, almost forgot! Had a friend help me update the lore to CORE, here it is:

The Curse of River’s End

The monastic town of River’s End had always been quiet, even after the fall of the Mad Moon. From time to time, merchants brought news of skirmishes and bandits, but they seemed always to be far from the sleepy township. Instead, life in River’s End revolved around the production of the beers and cheeses that had made the town famous.

The processes responsible for Brother Dom’s pungent cheeses and Brother Tom’s potent ales had been honed over generations. The two were enjoyed by the natives and visitors alike, and the village at River’s End had become slowly grown into a town. As demand increased, the nearby Freeman’s Inn sprang up to accommodate merchants all year round.

At the height of its popularity, River’s End played host to a visit from the Secret Shop itself, its lone attendant hawking rare artefacts like none the townsfolk had seen. The Secret Shop attracted the attention of heroes from far flung regions, searching for ways to augment their strange powers and unnatural strengths. Far away, curled in his rocky nest, Roshan sensed the gathering power and stirred.

Reaching River’s End in the dead of night, Roshan found the Secret Shop unattended, its wares strewn hither and thither across the countertops. Buried among the relics, there pulsed an ancient power. He raked a claw across the treasures, scattering swords and precious stones, revealing the Aegis of the Immortal. Satisfied with his theft and with the sun rising, the ancient beast retreated to the basement of the town’s chapel, where the cool stone walls reminded him of the pit he was spawned in.

As the sun rose, the secret shopkeeper rose and repacked his bedroll, readying himself for another day of explaining basic economics to the Ogre Magi. When he saw that the shop had been plundered while he slept, he flew into a rage and cursed the town of River’s End. He swore on any gods that would listen that he would strike down whoever had raided the shop.

The sky darkened as he made his oaths, a thick layer of cloud dimming the morning sun. Thunder pealed and lightning rent the air, but he continued, invoking names and creatures that none of the townsfolk had heard from, calling on debts and favours in languages long since extinct.

The gods answered his prayer, a vast blade fell from the sky, tongues of flame creeping up its leading edge. The sword cleaved through the chapel, missing the sleeping Roshan by inches. Though he escaped crushed by the blade, he was bound to it, destined wait in the shattered chapel for death to find him.

Despite their innocence, the curse left none of the inhabitants of River’s End untouched. A tide of avarice turned friends and neighbours into enemies as looting and pillaging swept the town.

As a wandering hero, you spawn outside River’s End…

Shopkeeper:

“Ahhh, a new customer.”

“Welcome to River’s End, the journey to your hero starts here.”

“The creature Roshan has stolen something precious to me... “

“Retrieve it, and I will see that you are properly rewarded.”

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. Noya

Noya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Now take 5 minutes to add stats before you release :p

17. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah will try and add that today :)

18. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
  19. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    After some serious play testing we collected some serious feedback, most of will hopefully make it into the next update, here are some preview pics...

During our play test we saw that much of the team fights gravitated towards the bridges, if you are on a opponent team you can cross the bridge without having the tower shoot at you, the bridge is now high ground:

[​IMG]

Added high ground to areas behind the houses overlooking the bottom rune spawner:

[​IMG]

Added high ground to team bases, outside every tower there is a decent area for team fight:

[​IMG]

Special thanks to Team Leviathan!

20. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    Small preview, while the vanilla Dota2 rocks are super cool and awesome we wanted to add our own touch

Might need some additional cleanup/and -or fixes, this is just a preview of the mesh, it looks way better when they are placed properly in the map

[​IMG]

Daskaren has been trying out some cool tools to generate models from photos, will need a little cleanup, but it looks good!

[​IMG]

Will be included in the next update!