Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.Dismiss Notice
Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.Dismiss Notice
A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.Dismiss Notice
The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.Dismiss Notice
The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!Dismiss Notice
The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!Dismiss Notice
Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!Dismiss Notice
Check out the Staff job openings thread.Dismiss Notice
Winter Hunters [v2.6]
Submitted by Rampant_Chicken
|My first WcIII map|
Winter Hunters [v2.6]
Read just the following green text for a quick overview to save reading time
Infection is the main (and currenly the only) gamemode of Winter Hunters. Each player starts with a Survivor and will have a short time to find a team mate, find somewhere safe to start building their hold to make their stand against the hordes. Hordes of necrotic monsters.
In a post apocalyptic world set in desolate frozen tundra. You take the role of a Survivor, grab a trusted buddy. seek suitable grounds, build a wall and begin the re-building of civilization. Unfortunatley the worst isn't over. You will be fighting for your life as the Infection is hunting for you. Your trust will need to be carefully placed as your fellow survivors may be a carrier of the infection. Fortunatley for you, symptoms are evident early on. To win, all infection must be eradicated.
As infected it is your job to find where Survivors are building, Stalk them from the shadows. remain unseen. Once taken by disease you will be reborn once more as an all powerful overlord of the necrotic horde. Use the 'Tracker' to hunt them down. Seek and destroy. To win, all players Survivors must be Infected.
- As each round ends, either side can win, another round will begin automatically
- Take the role of building and defending a hold against Hordes of necrotic monsters
- Earn gold with a unique cultivation of livestock
- Build a offencive force to seek the source of the Infected
- Take control of 1 of 4 custom heros
- Choose how you stat and arm your hero with unique armour
- Choose what warriors acompany your hero in battle
- Hunt the Survivors down with a unique 'Tracker' unit
This map has little focus on shiney visuals and custom spell effects, so don't expect much from the screenshots I have uploaded from one of my replays.
I have yet to upload gameplay of Winter Hunters to Youtube
I occasionally steam over Twitch, not very offen as my system is far from adequate to do so
I host this game occasionally via Garena using Entbot, if you care to play this map multiplayer, my name on Garena is [Winter_Hunters]
|Version [v2.6] Notes
- Units now become 'Dazed' (40% slow) when attacked while fleeing
- Added 'Production Line' upgrade, which causes Farms to auto produce animals, and farmers to kill animals without an order
- Lumbercamps are free again, but you're limited to only have one
- All units damage increased by 30-40% and Life increased by 100%
- Priests mana regen increased by 100%
- Deserted buildings now die (Temporarily)
- Killing a Chicken now heals the killer by 30 health
- Killing a Sheep now heals the killer by 150 health, from 30 health
- Killing a Pig now heals the killer by 500 health, from 100 health
- Starting lumber increased by 160
- Farm lumber cost increased to 185, from 145
- Barricade lumber cost and repair cost increased by 100%
- Barricades now have a 'Deconstruct' ability
- Players are warned when they have deserted buildings
- Players are revealed when they have no Lumber Camp
- Towers can now call in an Axe Thrower to attack from it
- Changed viewmodels of heros
- Added Illusionists 4th ability - 'Unworldly Presence' which causes units to create an illusion upon death
- Changed Xp required, level fast 1-3 but slow 3-6
- Rewarded only 1 worker for each level gained
- Heros have less initial damage/health
- Removed health bars from units that don't require one
- Lumber cost of units/Alters reduced
- Lumber cost of Trackker increased
- Starting resorces changed to fit new amount required
- Fallen one health increased by 50%
- Bonelords health reduced to 114, from 186
- Skeletal Brute health increased by 33%
- Spirits now have a standard 2 minute life time
- Tracker upgrade now just does a flat speed increase
Winter Hunters is currently in what I call 'Beta Balence Phase' and will remain so untill each game round is balenced to last around the 15 minute mark. Maybe 20 minutes depending how it develops. It would be great to hear feedback on the current balence, or any other aspect of the game for that matter. Vent your rage! Or construct carefully worded paragraphs of constructive critisism, whatever your style is. What is Op? What isn't worth it weight? Finally what do you want to see from Winter Hunters? As a finishing note, may I add I am searching for active helpers.
I occasionally stream Winter Hunters games over Twitch to create interest, however my equipment is far from adequate. I will dedicate time to streaming, blogging & discussing more consistantly IF I catch the attention of even the smallest of player bases. I'm talking even 5 or 6 active players. If not, I will still continue production of Winter Hunters and continue patches on Hive Workshop.
Warning:- Wall of irrelevent text
Inspiration for Winter Hunters stems from a life long desire to play a zombie survival game that doesn't become stale in a month. Winter Hunters as it stands today not the zombie survival vision I had when I started the map. For me, zombie survival is about the gathering of resorces, materials and the slow rebuilding of civilization. It is a hard experience to replicate within WcIII without a map dedicated to it and little other features. Forefore I decided to keep it true to WcIII with an RTS theme, rather than control one unit.
Inspiriation also came from the popular Vampirism maps, which give credit where credit is deserved, is a very popular map. However it just wasn't for me personally. I found it messy and I didn't agree with its core mechanics, going the versions I experienced about 6 years ago. However I realise Vampirism may have come a long way since then, I don't know.
Either way, to the future!
My vision of Winter Hunters is a quickfire, round based, team play, high multitasking RTS experience with an element of Hide and Seek. With as little monotonous tasks as possable. All my mechanics are designed to encourage people to work together, and work fast. Not a moment to loose! Idealy I want to appeal to hardcore RTS gamers that are drawn to maps with lots of depth and room to improve. However, I believe if executed correctly, Winter Hunters won't leave casual gamers behind. Due to its team friendly design. One problem that I can see from the word go is as follows, hardcore gamers don't generally like team play, especially in RTS games. This map will not be best suited for 1v1's which will very much turn many hardcore gamers away.
Below is a list of features I will impliment, but in no particular order or patch.
Future patches will contain:-
- A Survivor hero
- A Fallen One hero
- Weather effects, each different with buffs
- Combat/out of combat system (I need help here)
- A 5th hero ability
- A working scoreboard
- New map layout
- Bigger slip ways and war paths
- More defined bases
- Less playable area
- Better tooltips
- More unit upgrades
- Buying armour and weapons for survivor units
- New survivor abilitys
- Deathmatch gamemode
- Survival gamemode
- Better hide & seek mini-game at the start of infection
- A basic AI
- More Infected items
- Infected fast travel via Catacombes
- Fix Spirit Vendors movement
- More variety of survivor units
- Randomly generated map elements, perhaps even the whole map if its possable to keep balence
- Rewards for dealing lots of overall damage (Eg, Infected will gain XP when deals lots of damage overall, so players that sit behind walls and repair forever will effectively become 'feeders' of XP
What future patches won't contain, and why:-
- Feel free to dispute any of these, if I read an arguement strong enough I an willing to change my mind
- Stronger Stationary Towers - [They force very stale defenceive gameplay]
- Cavalry - [What?]
- Biome Change - [Wintry biomes create the atmosphere I'm going for]
- Gold Mines - [Balence would dictate atleast someone utilising a gold mine, therefore not using a gold mine would mean you will die indefinately, (Unless I put a gold mine in each base, totally destroying the point of them being in the game, because if everyone were to have a mine I could just add that additional gold to farming instaid) which also means the infected will know where to look for survivors without using a tracker, infected would have more lumber to spend on units and survivors would die anyway]
- Flyer Units - [I don't feel flyer units have much of a place in base survival games]
Any feedback and comments will be most helpfull I assure you. Your time won't be wasted and your opinion will be valued.
Email myself at:-
If you're interested in assisting development:-
Contact myself via Hive or Email.
|Last but not least|
winter, hunters, beegfateed, rampant, chicken, hide, seek.