• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Windows, Mac, or Linux? Which do you Prefer?

Windows, Mac, or Linux

• Windows

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Mac

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Linux

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
It depends on what I'm doing.

If it's for development and running servers, Linux is the only choice for me.

If it's for audio/music production or gaming, Windows is the only choice for me.

Level 8
Windows is my favourite by far. I don't know how to use Linux and am not really interested in learning as Windows does everything I need it to.

@ Samuraid, I was told that audio/music prodiction, as well as most artistic programs, was best on Mac. Is this just more Mac Propaganda?

Level 32
Like most people, this user is stuck with Windows because:
  1. I've never invested in a Mac.

2. So far, I have yet to configure any of my machines to run Linux.

[off-topic] Let's check the forum description:
Hive Workshop Polls
Polls for the public regarding The Hive Workshop.

~ Thread moved to Computer Tech forum.

Level 21
windows is my fav because i have no problems with it...i dont understand how people get viruses and have these random problems. its not hard to keep your pc clean of spyware and stuff, just have some common sense. the only problem windows really has is things like blue screens and hardware incompatability, yet at the same time this is a side effect of a good thing, you are given the option to choose what componenets are in your pc, unlike a mac, and that is an option i prefer. because if you wanna upgrade a mac, just throw it away and buy a new one ^^

Level 15
Windows is my favourite by far. I don't know how to use Linux and am not really interested in learning as Windows does everything I need it to.

@ Samuraid, I was told that audio/music prodiction, as well as most artistic programs, was best on Mac. Is this just more Mac Propaganda?
In the past that has been somewhat true, because of more software available for the Mac and because many said the Mac Power PC hardware had better memory bandwidth. However, these days such claims are no longer true or are irrelevant.

Level 11
I hate windows. But currently, it is my primary OS. I could list hundreds upon hundreds of reasons as to why i hate windows in general, windows xp, or even generally windows software. The biggest gripe i have with windows is that it is designed to be idiot friendly, and not user friendly.

Linux is also imperfect, but much improved in many areas. In my experience, ubuntu is just as, if not more user friendly then windows is. It is also far less idiot friendly.

Whats the diffrence between user friendlyness and idiot friendlyness? Quite simple, actually. A user friendly application / system presumes the user may not have expert knoledge in operating the system, and thus provides tools and help mechanisms to allow the user to learn how to operate the system and make informed descisions. An idiot friendly system presumes the user knows almost nothing, and theirfore the system takes on descisions and responsabilitys that a user-friendly system would leave up to the user. An example of idiot friendlyness is MSN Messanger deleting executable files that have been sent over it if a virus scanner is not configured. (The fact that it allows you to send such files in that case at all, considering it deletes them, is just bad programming.) Another example is the existence of the Power User user group in XP Pro, and your inability to assign users to such a useful group via the normal user editor.

I would say I prefer none of them, and simply must use one out of nessesity. Right now, I use almost exclusively windows. I plan to change this, however windows is not making it easy for me to install linux.

Level 6
I hate windows. But currently, it is my primary OS. I could list hundreds upon hundreds of reasons as to why i hate windows in general, windows xp, or even generally windows software. The biggest gripe i have with windows is that it is designed to be idiot friendly, and not user friendly.

Linux is also imperfect, but much improved in many areas. In my experience, ubuntu is just as, if not more user friendly then windows is. It is also far less idiot friendly.

Whats the diffrence between user friendlyness and idiot friendlyness? Quite simple, actually. A user friendly application / system presumes the user may not have expert knoledge in operating the system, and thus provides tools and help mechanisms to allow the user to learn how to operate the system and make informed descisions. An idiot friendly system presumes the user knows almost nothing, and theirfore the system takes on descisions and responsabilitys that a user-friendly system would leave up to the user. An example of idiot friendlyness is MSN Messanger deleting executable files that have been sent over it if a virus scanner is not configured. (The fact that it allows you to send such files in that case at all, considering it deletes them, is just bad programming.) Another example is the existence of the Power User user group in XP Pro, and your inability to assign users to such a useful group via the normal user editor.

I would say I prefer none of them, and simply must use one out of nessesity. Right now, I use almost exclusively windows. I plan to change this, however windows is not making it easy for me to install linux.
So that means..... Which are you going to vote for? :confused:

My primary OS is also windows. However I have also linux knowledge (required for school), I use mainly windows. I will stay on it until some more stuff can be run on linux and :pir: will be less spread.

This is obvious reason why is windows so much more used than linux. :pird:

MacOS is very hard to get it on PC as the producers sell systems already with operating systems installed without CD (so in case anything goes wrong, you have to bring the whole system at the service). So the only way it would be to buy the overpriced computer. Thats why I hate Apple so much, I still prefer Bill Gates & co than Apple.

Level 2
I use windows and I plan to stay that way, since it is the easiest, I guess according to Earth I must be an idiot, but it's just prefered, since the main reason I use my comp is for gaming or listening to music.

Level 3
Wine

Macs really do suck for gaming,

Dude its called wine

I prefer linux the most as i just hate how god dam slow windows is.
All windows does is cause virus's and uses far too much memory.
For example Windows Vista is the worst peice of junk iv ever seen Linux can run even better graphics for less then half the memory usage.
Wine is a program that lets u play windows games on mac's and linux try it.

Level 15
As long as the game solidly supports OpenGL. If you want to play the latest DirectX games reliably, Cedega is the choice at the moment until wine gets better DirectX support.

Level 8
mac sucks for gaming, they have like 4 games all together and they all suck apart from wow.

You do realize that it is possible to install windows on a mac right? :O

Either way I just installed Steam through Crossover for mac.. Runs perfectly :p

Take a wild guess who the only one is that voted for mac? xD

Level 21
yeh but why would i spend $1000 dollars on an average mac, when i could build and customise a very good pc for the same price, and not only that, but its a pc where i can choose the components, upgrade as neccesary and not have to worry about apple screwing anything up, only microsoft :p

Status
Not open for further replies.