• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Wind Walk for flying units?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Greetings.
I want to make ability that turns caster invisible and gives bonus movement speed, just as Wind Walk does.
When invisibility is stopped so is movement speed bonus.
Wind Walk has those things but looks like can't be for plying units.
Things that Wind Walk has but I don't want in this ability are backup damage and collision-less caster.
In advice thank You <3.

Level 12
Just use regular invisibility (cast by dummy unit) and berserk (for instant no target ability + move speed bonus)?

If you don't want there to be two different buffs you could give the extra movement speed directly with triggers instead. Or perhaps you could add and remove "permanent invisibility" while using berserk for the movement speed.

I have to say though, don't flying units pretty much ignore collision anyway?... (So why wouldn't windwalk work? You can remove the bonus 'backstab' damage very easily.)

Level 8
Yeah, they do ignore collision, and that's okay, not problem there, but any unit with Wind Walk buff can't go though Terrain, structures, doodads and similar pathing things, so do not air units and then isn't a basically air when you can't go over cliff.

And I didn't understood you "Or perhaps you could add and remove "permanent invisibility" while using berserk for the movement speed.", so if you will to explain it. And how will I remove bersek buff when I break invisibility? Unit - Attack / Finishes casting effect of an ability?

Last edited:
Level 12
Yeah, they do ignore collision, and that's okay, not problem there, but any unit with Wind Walk buff can't go though Terrain, structures, doodads and similar pathing things, so do not air units and then isn't a basically air when you can't go over cliff.
Oh neat, I wasn't aware of this. I see, then yes that's a problem.
And I didn't understood you "Or perhaps you could add and remove "permanent invisibility" while using berserk for the movement speed.", so if you will to explain it.
permanent invisibility is a passive ability without an icon and without buff icon (at least iirc) that makes the unit invisible, it's normally found on Far Seer's summoned spirit wolves.

Because it's automatic and has no icons, the idea is that it would allow another ability like berserk to be used for both the buff and the movement speed (as well as being the visible activate-able ability on the unit's command card).

So when a unit uses your custom Berserk ability, you could simply add this ability to that unit.

And how will I remove bersek buff when I break invisibility? Unit - Attack / Finishes casting effect of an ability?
I didn't think much about it though since it was just an afterthought, so I didn't consider that neither berserk nor permanent invisibility would disappear when the unit attacks.

If the unit is a melee attacker, then using a damage detection system would work. But it wouldn't be as easy with a ranged attacker, so it might not be an option.

On Producer Update: Natives List this event is listed:
JASS:
    constant unitevent EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGE_RELEASE       
       //This triggers when a unit's attack is released, aka when a melee unit hits its target or a ranged unit launches a missile.
    constant unitevent EVENT_UNIT_MOVES
So maybe it exists, but I checked with the world editor on latest patch, and it's also not listed here common.j -- patch 1.30.4 | HIVE so presumably it either doesn't exist or it's on ptr or something.

But even if it doesn't exist, it might exist in a future patch.

As for if you're using a custom sorceress' "invisibility", that invisibility is broken when a unit attacks, so you only need to check for if the unit loses the invisibility buff and then also remove berserk's buff (check with periodic event).

Level 8
Hmm, okay, I thought similar to what you said but didn't thinking about checking for sorceress invisibility buff although I think to add it to cover "invisibility" part of the problem. I'll try to make it, I believe it will work but since WarCraft III are so limited, I always, when it came to checking with periodic event, has a feel that I can not do it precise. Anyway, it can be leak up to whole sec, so, still sounds very possible and easy to do.

One thing I always believed, that checking with periodic events make huge memory leaks, what is the main reason you can not do it precise. Is it true?

Anyway, so thank you.

Level 12
Hmm, okay, I thought similar to what you said but didn't thinking about checking for sorceress invisibility buff although I think to add it to cover "invisibility" part of the problem. I'll try to make it, I believe it will work but since WarCraft III are so limited, I always, when it came to checking with periodic event, has a feel that I can not do it precise. Anyway, it can be leak up to whole sec, so, still sounds very possible and easy to do.

One thing I always believed, that checking with periodic events make huge memory leaks, what is the main reason you can not do it precise. Is it true?

Anyway, so thank you.
Periodic event doesn't leak, but if you make a trigger that leaks and it's on a periodic event, then chances are you'll have big problems since the leak will happen constantly.

Also, you should try to use as few periodic events as you can, since they'll all run simultaneously. So what you should try to do if you're having a lot of periodic event triggers is to combine them into a single one, so there's only one event instead of one event for each trigger.

And if you're using something like every 0.03 seconds or 0.1 even, then generally speaking that's going to be just fine.

As for being 'imprecise', just think about FPS. Updating every 0.03 seconds is basically 33 FPS. Or you could think of the delay as if it was lag, so 30 ping (ms), and that's the worst case scenario. (Which isn't a lot anywhere outside of Korea.)

Level 8
Outside of Korea? One of the more "developed" countries? Don't Korea has lot better internet than average?

Tnx for explanations, I will do my best and hopefully make a map soon, if not full, at least playable ;-).

Level 12
Outside of Korea? One of the more "developed" countries? Don't Korea has lot better internet than average?
That's precisely my point, unless you live in somewhere like Korea you'd be used to having 30+ ping on any online game.

In other words, a delay of 30 ms (0.03 seconds) isn't considered much anywhere else, unless maybe if you're used to having below 10 ping.

Level 2
ok i couldnt be botherd reading all that but your problem might be that wind walk is not able to target flying units try updating that also make sure that you have coppied it so you can change to not be a hero ability (unless its for a hero)

Level 8
Thank you everyone. I find solution, Just make ability that gives movement speed, then, when casted, trigger it with Sorceress Invisibility buff, make another trigger that checks for that buff and according to Invisibility remove movement speed buff. However it end with two buffs but I do not care, movement speed can be made with triggers but it's not important here.

Status
Not open for further replies.