• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wich one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
SC2 is probably your best bet, its just an advanced from of the WC3 engine with a better scripting syntax (now galaxy vs vJass is debatable...) the Arcade system is also very nice.

If your looking to move to a COMPLETELY different engine, than you should stop and learn how to use photoshop / 3DS Max :D

Level 1
SC2 is times better engine, editor, maps and triggers, new bnet. Screw that old war3 editor with so limited functions and those who still use it. Amazing ignorance, isolation going on here. Nothing outside this site - prizes, Medal Of Ego Inflation, maps, contests matters... just use better site with a better engine.

Level 19
Some of the JASSers of Hive aren't very impressed, but other parts of the editor and engine are a huge improvement. I can't wait to start myself.

The data editor is light years away from what WC3's ever learn and its just one of those "month to learn, lifetime to master" kind of things. The terrain editor is a million times better :p and its not hard at all to learn, either.

The GUI is the wc3 equivalent of JASS (except way slower -_-) and its pretty handy but I honestly have not played SC2 since i learned vJass. After my current projects are done, I might try to get into Galaxy

The only part where wc3 has the advantage over sc2 is that wc3's model base is infinite times larger. (but than again, SC2 can import infinite WoW models so its based on perspective)

Level 1
Some of the JASSers of Hive aren't very impressed, but other parts of the editor and engine are a huge improvement. I can't wait to start myself.

Will you stop being a die hard and stop promoting the clearly gone OUTDATED WAR3 GAME AND EDITOR

With stupid outdated code as JASS
and outdated and limited editor

The place sux because of the way you manage it. It's amazing how much crap

And I will enter whenever I want to say how much this place sucks because by being a war3 place in YEAR 2013, I told you in threads below, this isolation

CLOSED-MINDED ISOLATED doing all their things, not caring about opening to new games.

SUCK IT Pharaoh___

EGO INFLATION BADGE Of Stupidity Level 50

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The thing that disappointed me the most about StarCraft II was not the complexity of the Data Editor, although it might have weighted a bit. It was something as simple as the map size limits — WC3's 256x256 is comparatively larger — and the inability to use all terrain textures in one map. I can't comprehend how games as old as Age of Empires 1 or 2 possess this feature in their editors while a game like StarCraft II needs workarounds.
What workaround is there for demi-256x256 besides shrinking units ridiculously? None that I know of. This after WarCraft III modders spent years breaking those limits. Yeah, I think I might have made an effort to actually fully grasp the Data Editor if I didn't think I'd be frustrated by map size and ground texture limits at some point.

Level 19
The thing that disappointed me the most about StarCraft II was not the complexity of the Data Editor, although it might have weighted a bit. It was something as simple as the map size limits — WC3's 256x256 is comparatively larger — and the inability to use all terrain textures in one map. I can't comprehend how games as old as Age of Empires 1 or 2 possess this feature in their editors while a game like StarCraft II needs workarounds.
What workaround is there for demi-256x256 besides shrinking units ridiculously? None that I know of. This after WarCraft III modders spent years breaking those limits. Yeah, I think I might have made an effort to actually fully grasp the Data Editor if I didn't think I'd be frustrated by map size and ground texture limits at some point.

Good point, a reason why free roam RPGs can never be

Rui

Rui

Level 41
P.S. — Adding to what I wrote above, buildings utilize pathing squares for placement, which means, if you are using buildings, the proportion in which you can scale things is not a random value of a straight line, but a limited number of dichotomies of values.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The limit in terrain textures is probably due to how the rendering of them works. Age of Empires II had no real hardware rendering support so the main memory could hold all texture data at the cost of reduced performance (or crash) if the system ran out of memory.

WarCraft III used Direct3D 8 requiring that all image data be sent to the graphic card before rendering. The 16 tile type limit might have been something silly like that is the number of tile images that could be loaded into a single internal texture structed (4*4, this is why some larger tilesets use more). Yes they could have used another texture structure but that would need another render pass equivelently doubling the time taken to rasterize terrain.

Storage is not an argument for the limit. Yes they allocated only 4 bits to tile type (16 combinations) but they also allocated 4 bits for cliff type (16 combinations but only 2 are ever valid). This means they could easilly have done some reallocation of bits and made 7 bits for tile type (128 different tiles). Either doing this was too slow (due to word alignment) or there was some other reason for the limit (like above).

StarCraft II probably uses a texture a tile type anyway (as it renders differently) and it even allows blending. The limit in StarCraft II must be somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.