1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Wich one?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Chaosy, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey, I am thinking of changing to another engine atm but I don't know wich one you got tips?
    does not mean I leave the hive ;)

2. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
    SC2 is probably your best bet, its just an advanced from of the WC3 engine with a better scripting syntax (now galaxy vs vJass is debatable...) the Arcade system is also very nice.

If your looking to move to a COMPLETELY different engine, than you should stop and learn how to use photoshop / 3DS Max :D

3. Meh...

Meh...

Resources:
    Resources:
    SC2 is times better engine, editor, maps and triggers, new bnet. Screw that old war3 editor with so limited functions and those who still use it. Amazing ignorance, isolation going on here. Nothing outside this site - prizes, Medal Of Ego Inflation, maps, contests matters... just use better site with a better engine.

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I actually got SC2 and I checked the editor out quickly. It was pretty much the same as GUI in WC3 wich is kinda nice I don't need to re-learn everything. I will take a deeper look soon. Tho aint SC2 pretty un-popular or whatever

5. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Some of the JASSers of Hive aren't very impressed, but other parts of the editor and engine are a huge improvement. I can't wait to start myself.

6. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
    The data editor is light years away from what WC3's ever learn and its just one of those "month to learn, lifetime to master" kind of things. The terrain editor is a million times better :p and its not hard at all to learn, either.

The GUI is the wc3 equivalent of JASS (except way slower -_-) and its pretty handy but I honestly have not played SC2 since i learned vJass. After my current projects are done, I might try to get into Galaxy

The only part where wc3 has the advantage over sc2 is that wc3's model base is infinite times larger. (but than again, SC2 can import infinite WoW models so its based on perspective)

7. IMeverywhere

IMeverywhere

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will you stop being a die hard and stop promoting the clearly gone OUTDATED WAR3 GAME AND EDITOR

With stupid outdated code as JASS
    and outdated and limited editor

The place sux because of the way you manage it. It's amazing how much crap

And I will enter whenever I want to say how much this place sucks because by being a war3 place in YEAR 2013, I told you in threads below, this isolation

CLOSED-MINDED ISOLATED doing all their things, not caring about opening to new games.

SUCK IT Pharaoh___

EGO INFLATION BADGE Of Stupidity Level 50

8. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The thing that disappointed me the most about StarCraft II was not the complexity of the Data Editor, although it might have weighted a bit. It was something as simple as the map size limits — WC3's 256x256 is comparatively larger — and the inability to use all terrain textures in one map. I can't comprehend how games as old as Age of Empires 1 or 2 possess this feature in their editors while a game like StarCraft II needs workarounds.
    What workaround is there for demi-256x256 besides shrinking units ridiculously? None that I know of. This after WarCraft III modders spent years breaking those limits. Yeah, I think I might have made an effort to actually fully grasp the Data Editor if I didn't think I'd be frustrated by map size and ground texture limits at some point.

9. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good point, a reason why free roam RPGs can never be

10. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    P.S. — Adding to what I wrote above, buildings utilize pathing squares for placement, which means, if you are using buildings, the proportion in which you can scale things is not a random value of a straight line, but a limited number of dichotomies of values.

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The limit in terrain textures is probably due to how the rendering of them works. Age of Empires II had no real hardware rendering support so the main memory could hold all texture data at the cost of reduced performance (or crash) if the system ran out of memory.

WarCraft III used Direct3D 8 requiring that all image data be sent to the graphic card before rendering. The 16 tile type limit might have been something silly like that is the number of tile images that could be loaded into a single internal texture structed (4*4, this is why some larger tilesets use more). Yes they could have used another texture structure but that would need another render pass equivelently doubling the time taken to rasterize terrain.

Storage is not an argument for the limit. Yes they allocated only 4 bits to tile type (16 combinations) but they also allocated 4 bits for cliff type (16 combinations but only 2 are ever valid). This means they could easilly have done some reallocation of bits and made 7 bits for tile type (128 different tiles). Either doing this was too slow (due to word alignment) or there was some other reason for the limit (like above).

StarCraft II probably uses a texture a tile type anyway (as it renders differently) and it even allows blending. The limit in StarCraft II must be somewhere else.

12. Pyramidhe@d

Pyramidhe@d

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Unreal engine

or Cryengine

or Unity 3D

that is if you want to create standalone products that can be marketed.

otherwise, just stay with wc3 or sc2, making your mods.