• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Why null local variables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
My pc ran the following code from 13:10 to 17:40
Memory load of wc3 at start: 98.200 K
..and at the end: 98.880 K
Number of created local unit variables: 500.000.000
My pc had a cpu load of 20% while running this code btw so it is unlikely that anyone will ever make more local unit variables in any game

I used GetEnumUnit() instead of setting the local variable to a global variable just in case that it would somehow not work correctly
This should make sure the units are different enough though
there were roughly 100 units in the map, 2 of them heros

all in all I don't think that not nulling local variables can cause any trouble except with H2I/I2H which is not used any more

if someone has an idea why to null local variables please tell me
JASS:
globals
    integer i = 0//count local handles
endglobals

function leak takes nothing returns nothing
    local unit u  = GetEnumUnit()
    if u != null then//to make sure that there is no bug
        set i = i + 1
    endif
    //no "set u = null" :P
endfunction

function leakLoop takes nothing returns nothing
    call SetPlayerState(Player(0), PLAYER_STATE_RESOURCE_GOLD, i)//so we actually see that it works but since goldlimit is at 1 million I made a debug msg which displays I2S(i) when pressing esc
    call ForGroup(udg_g, function leak)
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Leak takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterTimerEvent(t, 0.0025, true)
    call TriggerAddAction(t, function leakLoop)
endfunction

There's no handle leak because you were not generating 500,000,000 units, so the pointers were never going out of bounds. That many pointers on one unit just reserves one handle, so no matter how many things are memorizing his index it's still the same infinitesimal leak. A proper test would be
JASS:
    local unit u=CreateUnit(Player(0),'hfoo',0.,0.,0.)
    call RemoveUnit(u)
endfunction

Level 19
Local variables must be nulled, when they contain agent-type pointers. All variables reserve memory, be it globals or locals. Globals reserve it in the map initialization though. The nulling of course should happen before the return of the function.

so why does wc3 not require more memory?

There's no handle leak because you were not generating 500,000,000 units, so the pointers were never going out of bounds. That many pointers on one unit just reserves one handle, so no matter how many things are memorizing his index it's still the same infinitesimal leak. A proper test would be
JASS:
    local unit u=CreateUnit(Player(0),'hfoo',0.,0.,0.)
    call RemoveUnit(u)
endfunction

so every unit can only leak once?
if that was true this would be like nothing
and creating a unit leaks anyway no matter if u use a global or local variable
gonna try this out with locations
maybe it will make a difference
(tried it with unitgroups already and they leak, no matter if destroyed or nulled or both)

edit: seems like the following code really requires "set l = null" to prevent it from leaking which would prove what you said
JASS:
    local location l = Location(0.00, 0.00)
    call RemoveLocation(l)
endfunction
edit2: same with unit leaks in both cases (with and without setting u = null)
also call ShowUnit(u, false) does not make a difference (most likely because it is removed instantly anyway)

edit3: rects require nulling, too, unless one uses globals

but if local unit variables only leak once it would not really make any difference because creating a unit leaks a lot more I think

Level 18
D4RK_G4ND4LF said:
(tried it with unitgroups already and they leak, no matter if destroyed or nulled or both)

That's because unit-groups always leak. There's a reason why there is a GroupUtils library for this stuff.

D4RK_G4ND4LF said:
but if local unit variables only leak once it would not really make any difference because creating a unit leaks a lot more I think

Try the following code:

JASS:
local integer i=0
local unit array u
local unit array u2
local unit array u3
local unit array u4
loop
    exitwhen(i==600)
    set u[i]  = CreateUnit(Player(0), 'hfoo', 0, 0, 0) 
    set u2[i] = CreateUnit(Player(0), 'hfoo', 0, 0, 0)
    set u3[i] = CreateUnit(Player(0), 'hfoo', 0, 0, 0)
    set u4[i] = CreateUnit(Player(0), 'hfoo', 0, 0, 0)
    call RemoveUnit(u[i]) 
    call RemoveUnit(u2[i])
    call RemoveUnit(u3[i])
    call RemoveUnit(u4[i])
    set i=i+1
endloop

Before this code is executed my memory usage in War3 is 91,912 KB.

After this code is executed my memory usage in War3 is 144,156 KB.

I'm running the test again except this time I'm setting the array elements to null.

Start: 92,540 KB
End: 143,144 KB

That's weird. Why is the memory still being leaked?

Level 19
Yes. Unit leaks have become major since 1.24. RemoveUnit() doesn't clear all the memory, so now it is best to recycle. The leak was noticed even when people were playing melee. However, this doesn't mean that an average 3,000 unit map is doomed for life, it just means it is best to recycle dummies rather than kill/remove them. Some spells use like 20+ dummies per cast, and that adds up to 2,000+ after 100 casts. With recycling, you can keep it at around 60 dummy units (depending on how many casts were made at a time).

Level 18
In most cases you only need 1 dummy for many dummy abilities. The biggest problem arises when you're planning on not having instant effects with your dummies. For example, if your dummy is supposed to walk somewhere before casting an ability then you're going to need multiple units, all of which should be recycled to ensure that memory is not unnecessarily leaked.

Level 18
In most cases you only need 1 dummy for many dummy abilities. The biggest problem arises when you're planning on not having instant effects with your dummies. For example, if your dummy is supposed to walk somewhere before casting an ability then you're going to need multiple units, all of which should be recycled to ensure that memory is not unnecessarily leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.