• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Which line authentication is faster? PAP or CHAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I've read many things on Google, but I can't seem to find the answer to my question...

Regardless of the security level, whether less safe or secure, which is more faster? PAP or CHAP? :eekani:

I need the answer of the majority...

Thanks for the help... :thumbs_up:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You have not defined your metric of fast...

PAP should in theory produce the lowset login time as it does not ping pong packets as many times.

The difference however is atmost 1 ping login latency which in most situations will not be perceptable by humans.

As far as computation times, both should be insignificant and unnoticable compared to the packet latency for sending through the network.

Last edited:
Level 9
Yes, I mean about that "latency"?

Or should I say which of the two has the lowest latency?

Anyway what is PAC? All I know is PAP and CHAP since they are the only authentication method available for my modem.

Level 9
Thanks for the info... So regardless of the security, but when it comes to latency, PAP's latency is lower compared to CHAP...

+rep for the great info... :grin:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The latency is only when logging in and for most cases the difference should be uncognible by humans between both systems. These protocles are for establishing connections and as such will not effect opperating latency of any connections made via them in any detectable way. That is if you set them to a reasonable re-test period of a couple of minutes (so traffic they generate can be ignored).

Status
Not open for further replies.