• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Question about memory cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
The memory cards that I'm referring are the SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity.) memory cards. They seem to be reliable, I guess.

The thing is, the CD and DVD discs fail to preserve the data as they breakdown after few years or months--due to mass humidity, defective layers, and/or are rarely shattered when they read fast. I can't trust this type of media to keep my data safe and I've already lost few discs, so I cannot allow this to continue.

So, I'd like to know a very reliable storage media that could backup my data and keep them safe for a lifetime (Though that seems impossible.). I've already purchased a 1 TB external HDD, which is very good for backing up my data, but I'm afraid this one might breakdown too.

I'm thinking of purchasing lots of 8 GB SDHC memory cards to store the data from my CD and DVD discs (After converting them to image files.) into those memory cards.

So, the question is, is it okay for me to use SDHC memory cards to backup my data? Will my data remain safe for many, many years (Assuming they're well taken care of.)?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The thing is, the CD and DVD discs fail to preserve the data as they breakdown after few years or months--due to mass humidity, defective layers, and/or are rarely shattered when they read fast. I can't trust this type of media to keep my data safe and I've already lost few discs, so I cannot allow this to continue.

Incorrect, proper disks will last 20-50 years (most of your life) no problem, its the fact you are not printing proper disks that is the problem. As you are burning into a heat sensitive disk made of plastic, the plastics degrade and the colours (thus data) alter until it is unreadable over time. Cheaper ones can last only a year.

Flash Memory (some funky type of ROM) is the most robust method of storing data, as it is not only physically robust but can also be exposed to magnetic fields without data loss. It is the most expensive form of data storage however costing the most per GB.

The cheapest way of mass data storage for long times are HDDs. You can get 1TB for only 60£ odd and they will generally last years. Failure is a problem though but as long as you keep the data mirrored enough, this will never fully happen. If for some reason your place is exposed to an insanly strong magnetic field, data loss will occur (however how likly is that?)

Level 45
I dunno about SD cards, I had my previous 8gig, I had it for half a year, I tried to take care of it (I used it for my camera and school etc so i used it alot) it eventually cracked and split...thus I assume they have very poor durability..they are also VERY expensive+easy to lose and hard to label, a better alternative would be getting portable HD's (best value per data) and keep backing up/mirroring the data like DSG said..

I may love SD cards, but i would NEVER EVVVEER rely on them as a proper storage device, if you use them so much, eventually the data can become corrupted (and partially frozen)...so I had to reformat my SD card :/..and i couldnt save most of the vital files....
I also tried to transfer my music collection onto an SD card, once the transfer was complete, about 5 of the songs (from 400) were buggy/glitchy and about 40+ of them were missing :/

Level 15
Incorrect, proper disks will last 20-50 years (most of your life) no problem, its the fact you are not printing proper disks that is the problem. As you are burning into a heat sensitive disk made of plastic, the plastics degrade and the colours (thus data) alter until it is unreadable over time. Cheaper ones can last only a year.
First of all, I'm always careful when I use my discs, I always take good care of them, and I would never buy cheap discs. And when I burn my discs, I always record them at 4X--sure, it takes ages to record the whole disc but it's the only way to ensure that the data's been written flawlessly, and I even scan for bad sectors after burning.

But yes, I haven't been using my discs for a long time, so that explains why some of my discs are having bad sector problems, but my purchased game discs are still okay, for now.

The reason why I don't trust this type of media was because my DVD-ROM has shattered one of my CD's few weeks ago, and I'm still frustrated about the loss. I blame on these modern disc drives that just keep spinning way too fast which leads to disc shattering when using old discs. And I'm not the only person who experienced this rare case of "exploding" discs...

For those who have never heard or experienced disc shattering, check this article at the Wikipedia for more information.

Flash Memory (some funky type of ROM) is the most robust method of storing data, as it is not only physically robust but can also be exposed to magnetic fields without data loss. It is the most expensive form of data storage however costing the most per GB.
Well, I'll just have to wait till the SDXC (Secure Digital Extended Capacity.) cards arrive in my country, so that the SDHC cards might get cheaper...

The cheapest way of mass data storage for long times are HDDs. You can get 1TB for only 60£ odd and they will generally last years. Failure is a problem though but as long as you keep the data mirrored enough, this will never fully happen. If for some reason your place is exposed to an insanly strong magnetic field, data loss will occur (however how likly is that?)
Luckily, I don't have any kind of magnetic activity in my room, so I suppose my external HDD's safe. The only two things I have in my room are dust and humidity.

I dunno about SD cards, I had my previous 8gig, I had it for half a year, I tried to take care of it (I used it for my camera and school etc so i used it alot) it eventually cracked and split...thus I assume they have very poor durability..they are also VERY expensive+easy to lose and hard to label, a better alternative would be getting portable HD's (best value per data) and keep backing up/mirroring the data like DSG said..

I may love SD cards, but i would NEVER EVVVEER rely on them as a proper storage device, if you use them so much, eventually the data can become corrupted (and partially frozen)...so I had to reformat my SD card :/..and i couldnt save most of the vital files....
I also tried to transfer my music collection onto an SD card, once the transfer was complete, about 5 of the songs (from 400) were buggy/glitchy and about 40+ of them were missing :/
Ouch! In that case, I take it that the SDHC cards are not good for backups after all, and the thought of data gone corrupted and/or missing gives me the heebie-da-ba-jeebies...

But what if I wanted to, let's say for example, put an image file of a DVD movie (That I've recorded on TV using a VCR-like DVD recorder.) into an 8 GB SDHC card, and then permanently lock it to prevent any further changes, and then watching that movie everyday on my PC after simply mounting the image file into a virtual drive. Does writing once and then constantly reading cause any problems to the SDHC card?

Anyway, I suppose I'll have to stick with my external HDD, it's really good for backing up my data. But it would be heartbreaking if my external HDD were to breakdown. Most of my data stored in there are irreplaceable, and I dread for its loss.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Kimberly that sounds like a fault in the casing and not the actual storage system.

Solid state drivers can function at higher temperature than hard disks and also can not be broken by sudden shocks (which kill the barings of hard disks) they however at like 10+ times the price of hard disks and I am prety sure 10 hard disks are safer than 1 flash driver if kept in different locations and stuff.

Level 13
Well there are different types of backup media:

There is for example the tape backup which seems for me (i just checked a few prices) a quiet nice version.
Basicly you need to buy a new hardware tapewriter (they cost really much :/) and then you are able to use tapes a backup media.
From the prices i have seen by amazon.com they are extremly cheap
http://www.amazon.com/C7973A-Backup...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272587760&sr=1-1
28 Euro for 800 GB

But as I already said those tapewriter are really expensive and I have NO idea how good the quality or durability of those tapes is.

They are mostly used for server backups as you can automize the process, save the data on an external storage AND they support high capacity.

The problem with CDs is always that they can easily break by the smallest damage.
This risk even goes up when using blueRay as they store more data on the same space.
I never liked CDs as backup media because they are normally (the cheap once) not editable afterwards.

I personally prefere HDDs as they are extremly cheap this days and if you do not treat them too harsh they won't break that easily. Just buy an external 1 TB hdd put it besides your computer (or even get out the hdd and put it IN your computer) and the chance of breaking it is not big.

Level 15
Kimberly that sounds like a fault in the casing and not the actual storage system.

Solid state drivers can function at higher temperature than hard disks and also can not be broken by sudden shocks (which kill the barings of hard disks) they however at like 10+ times the price of hard disks and I am prety sure 10 hard disks are safer than 1 flash driver if kept in different locations and stuff.
Oh, hmm...

Well, I've recently checked this article at the Wikipedia, and this following message caught my eye:

"Fragmentation may slow down the effective write speed. Defragmentation tools may be used. However, it is unnecessary to use any disk optimization tool because on an SD card the time required to access any block is the same. Defragmenting an SD card will wear the card out slightly, as the number of writes, before failure occurs, is limited (Usually 100000 times.)."

There is for example the tape backup which seems for me (i just checked a few prices) a quiet nice version.
Basicly you need to buy a new hardware tapewriter (they cost really much :/) and then you are able to use tapes a backup media.
From the prices i have seen by amazon.com they are extremly cheap
http://www.amazon.com/C7973A-Backup...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272587760&sr=1-1
28 Euro for 800 GB

But as I already said those tapewriter are really expensive and I have NO idea how good the quality or durability of those tapes is.

They are mostly used for server backups as you can automize the process, save the data on an external storage AND they support high capacity.
Yes, I've heard a bit about them, but I think I'll pass...

The problem with CDs is always that they can easily break by the smallest damage.
This risk even goes up when using blueRay as they store more data on the same space.
I never liked CDs as backup media because they are normally (the cheap once) not editable afterwards.
Well, the worst of all would be the so-called disc shattering. Most people may be wondering, how can a disc explode? Well, I've found some interesting disc shattering simulation YouTube videos...

You'll notice how the discs fail to hang on while spinning so fast for too long. Fast spinning causes too much heat and vibration--it's no wonder they'll shatter!

Of course, these have nothing to do with the actual disc drives exploding the discs. But the truth is, discs can still explode inside the disc drive between 8000 and 11200+ RPM's--depending on the disc's condition, that is...

So, grab some popcorn, sit back, relax, and watch the discs go boom!

And here's a special video from the MythBusters!

This strange phenomenon of "exploding" discs is no mystery, discs do occasionally explode when spinning at high speeds. If anyone happens to have a CD, DVD or BD drive that operates at highest speeds, then it's a bad idea sitting directly in front of the computer when it's reading a disc as there's a slight risk that a flawed, unbalanced, or old disc might explode when spinning at high speeds.

So, when a disc explodes and breaks apart, not only we hear a loud bang noise but small pieces of plastic shrapnel will fly around inside the drive, possibly shooting through the drive's tray door which is very dangerous. It would be really shocking if some of those sharp-pointed pieces of plastic were to cause severe injury to the unlucky person!

Then, after experiencing the disc explosion, both the disc and the drive will be ruined, so wiping out all the disc's remains won't do any good as the laser lens may have been damaged as well--probably...

And yet the drive manufacturers still make and sell more and more speedy drives because people demanded high speed for quick transfer and burning. But they don't know that impatience can really get them into trouble.

Luckily, there is a program that helps reducing drive's reading speed, Nero DriveSpeed. But sometimes it doesn't act right away nor it works outside of OS.

There should be a firmware upgrade (For all trademarks.) to somehow force the drives to read slowly, even when reinstalling OS--where the risk of shattering the only copy of the OS's installation disc is much greater...

I personally prefere HDDs as they are extremly cheap this days and if you do not treat them too harsh they won't break that easily. Just buy an external 1 TB hdd put it besides your computer (or even get out the hdd and put it IN your computer) and the chance of breaking it is not big.
Yes, I already got a 1 TB external HDD.

I'm never too harsh when dealing with sensitive and delicate things such as HDD. But sometimes we can never be too careful...

As for getting my HDD out of the external case and put it inside my PC, nah, I prefer leaving it where it belongs. USB plugging and unplugging is much more comfortable, and I can also take it everywhere.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What people fail to understand is that it depends on the disk size. The small disks (about the same size as a game cube disk) will easilly read at that rediclious speed without falling appart. Larger disks will fall appart due to more mass etc.

Think that is bad? Look at the speed of hard disks.

Level 15
What people fail to understand is that it depends on the disk size. The small disks (about the same size as a game cube disk) will easilly read at that rediclious speed without falling appart. Larger disks will fall appart due to more mass etc.
Like I've said, discs only shatter if they're flawed, unbalanced, or old. Newly purchased discs don't shatter right away! My CD only got shattered because it was old--that is the fact. Dunno about mini-discs though, never used them before...

I still don't recommend high speed, but if people intend to use such speed anyway, it's their own responsibility if their discs happen to shatter...

And, in my opinion, what people truly fail to understand is why does everybody on this entire planet still have to rely upon CD's, DVD's and BD's?

Why not using memory cards instead? Is it really hard for the companies to sell PC games, PC programs, and/or movies as memory cards? Or as mountable mini-HDD's? But nevermind, forget what I've said...

Think that is bad? Look at the speed of hard disks.
Please, let's not compare between disc drives and HDD drives. Because obviously, they're not the same...

Most of the HDD's normally spin at 7200+ RPM's, but according to this article at the Wikipedia, HDD's happen to spin between 5400 and 15000 RPM's.

But still, I highly doubt that they'd shatter. Because first, those platters inside of a HDD are not made of plastic, and second, I've never heard any rumors about HDD's shattering when spinning at high speeds.

Now please, let's drop this, I don't wish to discuss about defective discs anymore. I've only created this thread to chat about memory cards...

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
And, in my opinion, what people truly fail to understand is why does everybody on this entire planet still have to rely upon CD's, DVD's and BD's?

Cause they are cheap?

Why not using memory cards instead? Is it really hard for the companies to sell PC games, PC programs, and/or movies as memory cards? Or as mountable mini-HDD's? But nevermind, forget what I've said...

Cause they cost a lot? One of the major complaints about the DS is that a large cost of the game is actually the game cartredge. Look at final Fantasy 13, that came to the Xbox on 3 DVDs (if I remember correctly) and cost the same as the PS3 version. If it was to come on memory sticks, you would have to pay upwards of 100 pounds just for the storage.

Fortunatly people are moving away from disks. Nowdays more and more games are download dependent. EG My SC2 beta I am using I downloaded entirly through the internet from blizzard. Additionally late July when I buy the game, I could download and install it from blizzard without ever using the disc (still will as it is faster). Thus relience on disks is dropping.

Hard disks are still the cheapest way of storing data. If you are worried about one dieing, get 2. If you are worried about fire, store it at a friends house or something and update that backup once a year.

Level 15
Cause they are cheap?
True, but the primary concern is not just the price, it's also the quality and the reliability.

Cause they cost a lot? One of the major complaints about the DS is that a large cost of the game is actually the game cartredge. Look at final Fantasy 13, that came to the Xbox on 3 DVDs (if I remember correctly) and cost the same as the PS3 version. If it was to come on memory sticks, you would have to pay upwards of 100 pounds just for the storage.
And I suppose it's time for all the companies to start reducing the prices, hmm?

But regardless, I guess the companies are destined to make stuff only for the rich people. I mean, don't the non-rich people have the right to have fun too? It's no wonder that people end up stealing.

The companies should know that not everyone swims in a pool of money to afford anything...

Fortunatly people are moving away from disks. Nowdays more and more games are download dependent. EG My SC2 beta I am using I downloaded entirly through the internet from blizzard. Additionally late July when I buy the game, I could download and install it from blizzard without ever using the disc (still will as it is faster). Thus relience on disks is dropping.
In case nobody knows, not all the people around the world have Internet connection.

Many people got frustrated and furious for not being able to play PC games they've purchased due to the Internet connection requirement. They had to risk their lives using someone else's PC's with the Internet connection to download illegally modified files in order to play the games they've paid for.

I'm used to the old-fashioned way. Buy the games from the stores, install them, and play them. Period.

But now with these games nowadays, why must I be constantly oppressed and bothered with harassing copy protections and Internet connection requirements? They should stop this anti-piracy vendetta for once and for all.

I've never said this before, but I'll say it right now. I hate the Internet, but I only hate it just because it has completely ruined the future PC gaming by forcing all the people to connect to the Internet.

Oh well, life's cruel and we must get used to it, whether we like it or not...

Hard disks are still the cheapest way of storing data. If you are worried about one dieing, get 2.
I might just do that, but not right now...

If you are worried about fire, store it at a friends house or something and update that backup once a year.
Fire?! I didn't mentioned fires...

No, I'm not worried about fires. Because I've never had any fire problems before.

Last edited:
Level 10
I am to tired to read up all these posts, so excuse me if i missed something, however, i got my pc files stored in a lot of items, in another computer, some memorysticks (32 GB), a 115 GB old hard drive, some CD's and an external 500 GB storage. Never got the chance to use them tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.