• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Looking for a new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I'm going to chop down some trees this summer and earn something between 350~400 €.

I really wouldn't like to switch onto AMD, Nvidia's cards have been reliable to me, so why should I take the risk? Might sound rude if you prefer AMD but you know, I don't want to waste my money...

I've been looking to some of the GTX 700 series cards, they seem nice and some of them sit nicely at my price range.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I'm going to chop down some trees this summer and earn something between 350~400 €.
Very environmentally friendly work... Well unless its a plantation of sorts in which case I guess it is.

I've been looking to some of the GTX 700 series cards, they seem nice and some of them sit nicely at my price range.
I can recommend the GTX 760. As long as you get one with a non-standard cooler it will be very silent and last a long time. You may be able to afford one of the monsters like 780 but the performance gain is not that much over a 760. With a 760 you should even have some spare money to set aside for a rainy day or save for other things in the future.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Very environmentally friendly work... Well unless its a plantation of sorts in which case I guess it is.
Yeah, I don't actually chop them as I said, I use chainsaw ^^ They'll be firewoods after they're dry enough.

I can recommend the GTX 760...
I found Msi GeForce GTX 760 GAMING for 253€, I could actually save the extra money to my bank account. Is it any good?

I guess I need to explain what games I play; Starcraft II most of the time, my 2 GTX 460:s can't handle for example Desert Strike at later state of the game, and the fps drops below 10 (1920x1080 on ultra). Then sometimes I play Minecraft with a friend, which isn't that demanding. Then I play Hearthstone, I think 760 can handle that.

Edit: Or can i7-3770 be some sort of bottleneck, as I've heard SCII is cpu-intensive?

Thanks, I try to be more accurate next time ^^

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I guess I need to explain what games I play; Starcraft II most of the time, my 2 GTX 460:s can't handle for example Desert Strike at later state of the game, and the fps drops below 10 (1920x1080 on ultra).
I am sure that is your CPU not your GPU. SC2 is badly CPU bottlenecked most of the time from my experience.

A 275 GTX could run SC2 maxed out and a 760 is about >4 times as powerful so it is pretty obvious you will easily max it out.

Obviously people could always do something stupid with actors that bottlenecks the GPU but mostly frames are dropped because the CPU takes too much time advancing game frames.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Whoa, i7-3770 that bad? Can't do anything about it, it's non-K and all. And I've never ever replaced a CPU, I'll pass this year too lol...

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I think Blizzard should fix that before leaving sc2. My PC thinks I have 8 cores, it's actually only 4, still it sucks that sc only uses two.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Just to feel like I've done everything for it, I'll make a thread on battle.net forums about it, hehe

Edit: Hey wait, if I disabled HT, would it make sc2 run faster?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

It sounds like the map you are playing is poorly made more than anything else.
It's well made, it's just the basic concept of Tug of War. If you fancy to, you can try yourself whether your fps drops later at the game. starcraft://map/1/208271

Overall I think my CPU has plenty of work years to go, it's too awesome to be replaced yet.

Level 15
3770 is perfectly fine for any game. K version will just have higher longevity. I dont get any bottlenecking on my 3770K, even on marine arena maps.

For the graphics card, I recommend that you wait a couple of months, the Maxwell GPUs are just around the corner. 870 should be priced around 400$ if you're looking to get the most for your money. Otherwise 860 should be enough for any game.

But if you really want to buy a card as soon as possible go for 770, price\performance wise its the best card on the market save the R9 280X.

Comparing to those two I can't recommend 760 mostly because its price\performance ratio is worse than 660 or 770.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

800 series are soon to come? If that's the case in sure to wait for them ;D

Level 15
I thought you meant that it will not break for a longer time, isn't "longevity" usually used like that?

The only difference between 3770 and 3770k is the ability to overclock. But yeah I see your point, though endurance is what you meant. Longevity simply regards the time, not the actual "resistance to failiure".

I just talked soo much about IT stuff on forums I got too lazy to go into details.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A major factor in the life of processors is electro migration in the power channels. If you over clock obviously it consumes more power, and runs hotter both which cause grains of metal to move more than intended when it was designed. Obviously they have made them pretty wide so the chance of it being a problem any time soon at operating clock is low, but if you run it faster, or hotter than intended it may cause the chip to eventually fail.

However if you were to put better cooling on so the chip did not get hotter (or preferably even cooler) then it will last about the same length of time. Obviously there are other failures such as doping diffusion etc but I do not know much about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.