1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Where to begin

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by severed, May 23, 2019.

1. severed

severed

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im not a total newb, but I haven't touched the world editor in a couple years. I remember using some enhanced version of the world editor with extra features and improvements that prevented glitches (on my old PC before it crashed). Is there anything like that around still? or is the default version the main one since the recent patches? also do I need PTR to get the latest updates?

Thanks

2. Chaosium

Chaosium

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    You should find that current standard version of the editor is a bit more powerful compared to a couple years ago, some features of the JNGP have been integrated in the base version.

The next version is on the PTR, but I wouldn't recommand doing any serious modding with a PTR version, as they may remove features that will make your map impossible to edit once the new version is released (happened to me once ^^)

3. severed

severed

Resources:
    Resources:
    thanks, is there a discord server for hive?

4. Cespie

Cespie

Resources:
    Resources:
    Since we have Reforged on the horizon, I think the best approach in general is to go vanilla on the editor, as this is far more likely to be supported in Reforged.

I find that the recent patches have made the editor considerably more powerful, and the next patch will apparently be even better.

Since you say that you're a total newbie, I'd definitely recommend that you try to do an RPG type map. The basics of what you'll need can be done entirely without triggers, just by placing a hero, an altar, and deleting the melee initialization trigger. Then you can gradually put more and more details into the map, starting with things like hero selection systems, hero revive systems, loot systems, and the likes. It's a very beginner friendly approach, because the map is playable right off the bat with zero skill requirement.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. Devalut

Devalut

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Should be top right page of this page, (unless you are using mobile)