• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Where to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Im not a total newb, but I haven't touched the world editor in a couple years. I remember using some enhanced version of the world editor with extra features and improvements that prevented glitches (on my old PC before it crashed). Is there anything like that around still? or is the default version the main one since the recent patches? also do I need PTR to get the latest updates?

Thanks

Level 20
You should find that current standard version of the editor is a bit more powerful compared to a couple years ago, some features of the JNGP have been integrated in the base version.

The next version is on the PTR, but I wouldn't recommand doing any serious modding with a PTR version, as they may remove features that will make your map impossible to edit once the new version is released (happened to me once ^^)

Level 8
Since we have Reforged on the horizon, I think the best approach in general is to go vanilla on the editor, as this is far more likely to be supported in Reforged.

I find that the recent patches have made the editor considerably more powerful, and the next patch will apparently be even better.

Since you say that you're a total newbie, I'd definitely recommend that you try to do an RPG type map. The basics of what you'll need can be done entirely without triggers, just by placing a hero, an altar, and deleting the melee initialization trigger. Then you can gradually put more and more details into the map, starting with things like hero selection systems, hero revive systems, loot systems, and the likes. It's a very beginner friendly approach, because the map is playable right off the bat with zero skill requirement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.