• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Clicking the doodads-tab in Object Editor crashes World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
With the recent patch I just discovered a major problem with the map I'm making for the Mini Mapping Contest #16 - Mini RPG.

As soon as I click on the Doodads-tab in the Object Editor my entire World Editor crashes. I can't remember if I looked at the Doodads-tab in the BETA, but my World Editor never crashes in that version.

Has anyone experienced the same issue or maybe someone is aware of a fix?

I've deleted everything in the map and that still didn't help.

The map is attached, thanks.

Attachments

• DoodadsTabCrash.w3x
    124.2 KB · Views: 48
Level 18
I tried fixing the map so it can be opened in 1.31.1 PTR.
After adjusting the war3map.w3i the WE crashed at loading units.
Then I use a new war3mapUnits.doo file (since the old one only contained two starting locations anyways), and now I'm getting an error "Invalid generated variables have been found and deleted. Triggers using those variables have been disabled. hquake.wav, _snd_Earthquake, ientOfWonder\AncientofWonderWhat1.wav, _snd_AncientofWonderWhat1,". I don't have any experience with the trigger/triggerdata file formats so not sure how to solve this. Anyways the map does open after that error.

Attachments

• DoodadsTabCrashFix.w3x
    127.3 KB · Views: 36
Level 19
I tried fixing the map so it can be opened in 1.31.1 PTR.
After adjusting the war3map.w3i the WE crashed at loading units.
Then I use a new war3mapUnits.doo file (since the old one only contained two starting locations anyways), and now I'm getting an error "Invalid generated variables have been found and deleted. Triggers using those variables have been disabled. hquake.wav, _snd_Earthquake, ientOfWonder\AncientofWonderWhat1.wav, _snd_AncientofWonderWhat1,". I don't have any experience with the trigger/triggerdata file formats so not sure how to solve this. Anyways the map does open after that error.
It's the sound objects in the Sound Editor that causes that error; they're not compatible with an older version.

I currently have a backup version that loads with patch 1.31.1 PTR, but I'd rather have the current version work with patch 1.32 as it's many hours of work lost otherwise going back.

I also finally managed to make my most recent version saved in patch 1.32 load in the 1.31.1 PTR World Editor, using files from my backup, but unfortunately it's pointless as it will set the map data equal the backup anyway.

Thanks for the effort!

Level 18
It's the sound objects in the Sound Editor that causes that error; they're not compatible with an older version.
You're right, I checked the sound editor and everything seems messed up. Then I tried parsing the war3map.w3s file with my own library and it seems the file version changed from 1 to 2 (at least my library checks for the version, unlike world editor. seriously why put a version in the file format if you just ignore it).

Anyways I'll look into the changes in v2 and see if I can downgrade it to v1 afterwards.

EDIT: I managed to parse sound data in v2 and downgrade it to v1, so all sounds display correctly in the sound editor without errors. I'm assuming you protected the map since the trigger editor has no triggers, so I cannot say for certain if the trigger data will be backwards-compatible, but if it is, if you apply my program to the unprotected map 1.32, you should be able to to open it in 1.31 PTR without losing progress.

EDIT2: Also managed to fix war3mapUnits.doo (this file contains unit skin since reforged, never noticed that before since apparently updating the file version when you make changes to the format is too much effort).

EDIT3: Just tried opening doodad tab in 1.31 object editor, works fine, although I noticed all doodad names start with '#', maybe that is somehow related to it not working in 1.32? Just a guess.

Last edited:
Level 19
You're right, I checked the sound editor and everything seems messed up. Then I tried parsing the war3map.w3s file with my own library and it seems the file version changed from 1 to 2 (at least my library checks for the version, unlike world editor. seriously why put a version in the file format if you just ignore it).

Anyways I'll look into the changes in v2 and see if I can downgrade it to v1 afterwards.

EDIT: I managed to parse sound data in v2 and downgrade it to v1, so all sounds display correctly in the sound editor without errors. I'm assuming you protected the map since the trigger editor has no triggers, so I cannot say for certain if the trigger data will be backwards-compatible, but if it is, if you apply my program to the unprotected map 1.32, you should be able to to open it in 1.31 PTR without losing progress.

EDIT2: Also managed to fix war3mapUnits.doo (this file contains unit skin since reforged, never noticed that before since apparently updating the file version when you make changes to the format is too much effort).

EDIT3: Just tried opening doodad tab in 1.31 object editor, works fine, although I noticed all doodad names start with '#', maybe that is somehow related to it not working in 1.32? Just a guess.
Thanks a lot! The map I uploaded is not protected, but I removed everything just to make sure it wasn't the reason the doodads-tab crashed the World Editor.

There's no need to try to make the map openable in 1.31.1 PTR, as my backup works fine. If there's a fix for my current version to be opened in 1.32 that'd be great.

I FOUND THE CAUSE!
The doodad structure with ID ASbl does not exist in reforged. Since you have two custom structures with this one as base, it crashes in reforged.
Awesome, great work, appreciated!

Is there any way to remove these files from the map data in order to fix the current version of the map saved in 1.32?

Level 18
Awesome, great work, appreciated!

Is there any way to remove these files from the map data in order to fix the current version of the map saved in 1.32?
My suggestion would be to change the doodad data in 1.31 PTR, using the map I provided in my first post, then import it using an mpq editor.
The only change you'd have to make to the doodad data is to use a different base doodad, but make sure the custom object rawcode is the same as before.

Level 19
My suggestion would be to change the doodad data in 1.31 PTR, using the map I provided in my first post, then import it using an mpq editor.
The only change you'd have to make to the doodad data is to use a different base doodad, but make sure the custom object rawcode is the same as before.
Do you know which file hold the doodad object data that has to be replaced? I've replaced the doodads in the PTR version and kept the same rawcodes.

Level 18
Do you know which file hold the doodad object data that has to be replaced? I've replaced the doodads in the PTR version and kept the same rawcodes.
I think it was .w3d or .w3b, but for exporting you can just use the world editor, only importing requires an mpq editor because it would crash when you try to import in the doodad tab.

EDIT: Just checked, it's .w3d, the .w3b is for destructables.

Last edited:
Level 19
I think it was .w3d or .w3b, but for exporting you can just use the world editor, only importing requires an mpq editor because it would crash when you try to import in the doodad tab.

EDIT: Just checked, it's .w3d, the .w3b is for destructables.
I managed to repair the map, can't thank you enough! :)
MapFixed.PNG

Does this mean you will continue participating in the contest? :D
Absolutely, but not sure if I'll manage to complete the map in time now, had a lot of free time this weekend and had planned to work on the map and try to finish it.

I managed to repair the map, can't thank you enough! :)
View attachment 346037

Absolutely, but not sure if I'll manage to complete the map in time now, had a lot of free time this weekend and had planned to work on the map and try to finish it.
Me too to be honest, I am planning on asking for an extension so hopefully it will be granted. A lot of stuff came up, and I have been really demotivated due to the Reforged/1.32 issues but I have continued development in a pirated 1.31 version now so it's all good.

I will be travelling the next two weekends, so I really don't have a lot of development time left :(

Level 19
Me too to be honest, I am planning on asking for an extension so hopefully it will be granted. A lot of stuff came up, and I have been really demotivated due to the Reforged/1.32 issues but I have continued development in a pirated 1.31 version now so it's all good.

I will be travelling the next two weekends, so I really don't have a lot of development time left :(
Go for it! I believe most people would agree to extend the deadline as Reforged probably affected us all in some way or another, but ultimately it's up to the moderator(s). ~2 additional weeks should be enough for me I think. :)

Level 18
I have the exact same problem. How do I get 1.31 Beta?
Classic is back! Read!

You'll have to upload your map, because maps saved with reforged have a new file format for certain files, so you cannot open the map in 1.31 without editing them first.
If you saved your map as folder, you will have access to the war3map.w3d, so you could import it in a new 1.31 map. (in this case you don't have to upload your map).

Level 4
I have downloaded the 1.31 PTR. I realize I had it installed already. Problem is the editor crashes on startup, but I can open the game itself and play it. I have uploaded my zipped war3map.w3d.

Attachments

• war3map.rar
    901 bytes · Views: 38
Level 18
I have downloaded the 1.31 PTR. I realize I had it installed already. Problem is the editor crashes on startup, but I can open the game itself and play it. I have uploaded my zipped war3map.w3d.
Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update

Since you already have the .w3d, what you need to do now is import it into a new map in 1.31 editor, and check all base objects used. You can use ctrl+d to see the rawcodes. For every rawcode, you must then check if it exists in the reforged editor (ctrl+f should work). In OP's case, the culprit was ASbl, but there's no guarantee that there aren't more removed objects. When you found the culprit(s), repeat the steps I explained earlier. Feel free to ask if I need to explain the steps more clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.