• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Where tf are all the good maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
what is wrong with the world these days?
why do people make the one millionth crappy tower defense, or another footman frenzy map with not a single new feature at all... why do people make all those stupid and senseless so called open rpg maps? wich by the way dont have a single doodad to make the terrain look more beautiful, and wich by the way have an "o" before the rpg, wich stands for "you can select to play hero with good stats or hero wich can build a default human armay just like in wc3" ...

why the hell can ppl wich dont even know how tf to trigger random wheater generator and are stupid enough to give the "fire demon of hell" frost nova and ... dont know... er... yeah, holy light why can these people create awesome preview pics for their maps, and a really cool loading screen model texture wich makes you think "this is gonna be a great map" and then you start playing and go like
"wtf^^... this sucks man..."

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

i dont get it...

(please don't hate me now)

Level 9
Dunno about others ,but as for me i don't like to make maps wich will be called " EXTRA COOL " only by minimap or loading screen.

I'm making more at gameplay actions and triggering and ask people for help with terraining,but (problem of all map makers) there are no terrainers that could do big size maps ....

P.S. you may try to play something like:
http://maps.worldofwar.net/maps.php?id=9435
or
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Maps&ID=7377
or
http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Maps&ID=7181
and then play at something like "DoTa"

Level 5
Well the answer to your question is simple. some people may not have the knowledge to do what they want to do in the map (this does not make them dumb, Just inexperienced with WE or still learning its taken me 5 years (on and off) to learn WE to my current ability and im still learning new things). As for Terraining that all comes down to practise, Some are a bit lazy or impatient and just wanna play there game. Nothing wrong with open rpg's if you just wanna hack and slash at stuff and do some little quests (which suites some people fine). if someone gave 'the fire demon from hell' frost nova thats there decsion, that person obviously did not know how to make a fire version (but thats still no reason to flame them). However if you see a gap in the warcraft custom game market then maybe you should make a map that has none of the bugs & errors you mention and completely fresh and new ideas. a map so detailed that no one on bnet could play because the file size is to big.
I look forward to seeing your next map.

Level 3
i apologize, never wanted to flame anybody... and ofcourse there are lots of people who lack the experience to realize what they have in mind (a common problem probably)...

if a map was really that beautiful with tons of custom models and doodad terrain and all that stuff, it would a) lag on bnet b) have a huge filesize wich would scare people away...

@Ezekiel_Rage
I have been making a map (i am probably the most lazy person ever) for the last 6 months wich is smth totally new combining ("o")rpg, survival and troll tribes elements... i think it is a rather good map, not everyone will enjoy but you can never please everybody. ofcourse it is bugged but currently i am trying to fix all bugs wich destroy gameflow...

and yes, the biggest problem for these maps is filesize... my map is 2,7mb and uses lots of custom stuff...

i will upload it soon, then please crit, honestly...

Level 12
what is wrong with the world these days?
why do people make the one millionth crappy tower defense, or another footman frenzy map with not a single new feature at all... why do people make all those stupid and senseless so called open rpg maps? wich by the way dont have a single doodad to make the terrain look more beautiful, and wich by the way have an "o" before the rpg, wich stands for "you can select to play hero with good stats or hero wich can build a default human armay just like in wc3" ...

why the hell can ppl wich dont even know how tf to trigger random wheater generator and are stupid enough to give the "fire demon of hell" frost nova and ... dont know... er... yeah, holy light why can these people create awesome preview pics for their maps, and a really cool loading screen model texture wich makes you think "this is gonna be a great map" and then you start playing and go like
"wtf^^... this sucks man..."

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

i dont get it...

(please don't hate me now)

Because the most mapper maker are lazy (i think), they dont want to spend a hell of time on their map. They wan it finish now.

But a good map need lot of times. I used 8 days on a Hero Selection System (Demo Version). And its not finish yet.

Level 22
Yes, one must often trudge through to find good maps, thats why I suggest just looking through the director's choice section first. Another way is if you find a map by a good author, odds are they've made other maps as well, so maybe search via author.

I call the stuff you are talking about "me too" maps, where people make maps simply because they can, and dont bother worrying about wether they are better then the competition or not.
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.