• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

whats wrong with this trigger - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
im making trigger that detects when player kills another players hero and i have made a string varible with different messages to be displayed when a hero dies. the problem is that when i kill another hero the the variable messages doesn't show it only shows the dying player and the killing player.

look at my trigger maybe someone can help me

Events
Unit - A unit Dies
Conditions
((Dying unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
Actions
Game - Display to (All players) for 10.00 seconds the text: ((Name of (Owner of (Dying unit))) + (Messages[(Random integer number between 1 and TotalMessages)] + ((Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))) + !!!!)))

i seriously can't see anthing wrong here but maybe you pro coders can help me

Level 5
Oh... i have a great idea. What you could do is have a series of triggers, each with a different message... and have them set NOT initally on (except for the first one). Then have it display whatever you want and have an Action (Trigger-Turn off This Trigger). And another action that turns on the next trigger... like so (Trigger- Turn on TRIGGERNAMEHERE). I remember using this for display messages once.

:::::::IF you STILL don't get it::::::::
Heres an example of 2 triggers doing what i just described...

This Trigger Initiates the next...

Kill1
Events
Unit - A unit Dies
Conditions
Actions
Game - Display to (All players) for 15.00 seconds the text: ((Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))) + (Just PWNT + ((Name of (Owner of (Dying unit))) + (+20 gold))))
Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
Trigger - Turn on Kill 2 <gen>

The next Trigger...
Kill2
Events
Unit - A unit Dies
Conditions
Actions
Game - Display to (All players) for 15.00 seconds the text: ((Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))) + (Owned + ((Name of (Owner of (Dying unit))) + (+20 gold))))
Trigger - Turn on Kill 3 <gen>

The Next Trigger...
Kill3
Events
Unit - A unit Dies
Conditions
Actions
Game - Display to (All players) for 15.00 seconds the text: ((Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))) + (fragged + ((Name of (Owner of (Dying unit))) + (+20 gold))))
Trigger - Turn on Kill 4 <gen>

Then for the last trigger just make it turn back on trigger 'Kill1' it will just loop different ones, without bugging.

I know its not random, but its the next best thing.

Level 37
Only one trigger is needed here.Do it this way:

=========================

herodie
Events
Unit - A unit Dies
Conditions
Actions
Set RndTxt = (Random integer number between 1 and 3)
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
RndTxt Equal to 1
Then - Actions
Game - Display to (All players) for 15.00 seconds the text: (((Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))) + killed ) + ((Name of (Owner of (Dying unit))) + +20 gold))
Else - Actions
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
RndTxt Equal to 2
Then - Actions
Game - Display to (All players) for 15.00 seconds the text: (((Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))) + slaughtered ) + ((Name of (Owner of (Dying unit))) + +20 gold))
Else - Actions
Game - Display to (All players) for 15.00 seconds the text: (((Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))) + murdered ) + ((Name of (Owner of (Dying unit))) + +20 gold))

========================================
Remember the spaces! Otherwise you will get "Player1killedplayer6+20 gold". It would be a good idea also to use the colour codes for different players.

Level 5
A 2 minutes map I whipped up.

2 Variables.

messages (string) (Array checked size 3)
randnum (interger)

3 Triggers

Code:
Initialization
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set messages[0] = 's Hero dreadfully died. Thanks to 
        Set messages[1] = 's Hero died. The killer has to be 
        Set messages[2] = 's Hero is owned. Pay respect to

Code:
Unit Died
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
        ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
    Actions
        Game - Display to (All players) for 10.00 seconds the text: (((Name of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) + messages[randnum]) + (Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))))

Code:
Random
    Events
        Time - Every 0.20 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set randnum = (Random integer number between 0 and 2)

Reason I set up a random number trigger from periodic time because if you only random during specific trigger, it will repeat same random number. Like start a map check random number "6", ok restart map.. check again "6", restart.. check again "6"...

These worked fine for me.

EDIT - Oh btw, your problem is probably string array starting at 1 and your randomness probably landed to blank string every time. It's good idea to set variable starting from 0, say if your array size is 9 (meaning 0 - 8)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Tie-Break said:
im making trigger that detects when player kills another players hero and i have made a string varible with different messages to be displayed when a hero dies. the problem is that when i kill another hero the the variable messages doesn't show it only shows the dying player and the killing player.

look at my trigger maybe someone can help me

Events
Unit - A unit Dies
Conditions
Actions
Game - Display to (All players) for 10.00 seconds the text: ((Name of (Owner of (Dying unit))) + (Messages[(Random integer number between 1 and TotalMessages)] + ((Name of (Owner of (Killing unit))) + !!!!)))

i seriously can't see anthing wrong here but maybe you pro coders can help me

The main problem here seems to be that the strings are empty. Are you sure you created another trigger that sets the variables to certain strings? And those parts of the player names won't show up either if they're an Empty String.

Level 4
hehe thx for your help guys but i got it up working well i just had to set the variables in the same trigger then it worked. And to answer you Rui i did set some values in the string i just had set them in the same trigger and not in a seprate trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.