• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Whats with that... dust...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I hate (Snow) dust, i cant beleave its snowing on this website!! make iiittt stop D:

What are your opinions on the dust(Snow)?

(I call it dust because i hate snow :mad: )

Level 6
WILLTHEALMIGHTY is right, we shoul add a chrismas theme with snow and ice instead of the leaves and wood.

Level 6
O comon its not that bad.... when i try to make the snow slower it just get faster...

EDIT: btwn... i dont see how it "burn your eyes".... its just... flashy

EDIT2: is it beter now? i made it stop by seting the speed to -10 (for some reason all other numbers just make it the same speed... even 0 or -1...)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The snow is badly coded, it does not seem to be using DX so it is increadably slow and with 3 THW windows open it uses 100% of my 3ghz P4, which is a bit steep compaired to the 2-5 percent before the snow.

I am sure there is a way to improve the snow, like disabling the rendering and calculations of it while the window is minimized ( so it is turned off all the time but for when the window is up). For currently I really can not leave THW chat running while playing as it makes me lag. I am sure this is why THW chat is so empty recently.

Level 8
The snow is badly coded, it does not seem to be using DX so it is increadably slow and with 3 THW windows open it uses 100% of my 3ghz P4, which is a bit steep compaired to the 2-5 percent before the snow.

I am sure there is a way to improve the snow, like disabling the rendering and calculations of it while the window is minimized ( so it is turned off all the time but for when the window is up). For currently I really can not leave THW chat running while playing as it makes me lag. I am sure this is why THW chat is so empty recently.

Could you maybe do a re-code? I am quite sure Ralle did not write the script himself..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It vanishes as it hits the bottom of the screen and randomly is generated at the top. Inorder to rewrite it I would need to know JAVA (which I do know a bit) and have the source of it. Even still, as I know hardly much java, I do not know what functions to use to fetch if the browser is minimised or not, as the main change that is needed is to pause the snow affect while the browser is minimised. Currently how ever, it seems the snow is a lot less demanding than it was a few days ago, 2 browsers now only take 10-20% of my CPU as opposed to the 50% they used to.

Level 8
my CPU usage is 35% when having 4 firefox windows (each with 3 Hive tabs) opened... And that was just as a test because I hardly use more than 1 firefox window... I don't see what all the whining is for, just turn it off if your computer can't handle it.

I don't know what the setup for your system but I know that some users may certainly have problems running the snow.

I justed noticed something funny about the snow. When I am replying and a snowflake goes through the textarea it makes each line bold as it passes by.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
When running in tabs it probably turns off the snow on the other tabs, so it acts as 0 CPU usage, try running each of them in separate windows on a P4 and see if it chews your core. Like I said also they seem to be less demanding than they used to be a few days ago for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.