• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to make a custom race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Not sure if this would be done with triggers, but if a mod knows they can move it to the proper section.

I need to know how to do one of two things:

Either to create a costom race from scratch.

Or perhaps even better to simply change the names of each race.

(I know I'm asking alot, but as a side note: anyone know how to make a snow effect or mod the "dust doodad" to be white and look like snow?)

Any ideas?

Level 1
1)I think he means make it so when u choose ur race when the game is about to start e.g. human, orc, night elve, undead. <<<< you can add another one there
I dont know how to do this but apprently someone has done this.

2)Try checking in gameplay interface

offtopic: picky picky chovynz you post ghosting fool

Last edited:
Level 5
wel u cant create anoter race. to my knowledge... but u can change another races name through gameplay constants - then just edit triggers

Level 2
yea im having the same trouble, i have tried changing it trough interface but it does not show that change through edditor so im not sure if its right.
Can someone mabey list the triggers that you would have to change i think it might help both of us this is my first map and im somewhat familiar with the edditor slowly but surely i am getting better but is their any advice that someone can give me? to get better at making custom skills and triggers.

Level 2
yesterday i think i changed the names, in the game interface under the advanced menu the thing said
Text name: Night Elfs> then i changed it to what ever so thats what i did. im not sure if that what changes it but this is the advice a friend gave me. .
but i still dont get how even if you change the name how do u set up the races i mean i have made units and a few buildings but i dont get how you make the building with the five workers (i heard you need a trigger to do it but still just telling me i need a trigger is a bit to general)
Then the worker how do i make it build my custom buildings..... do i just add it as a skill? because the pensant for example have a skill that says build(human)
for a custom race would i need to alter that to make it build ex: Build(newrace)

Level 12
For all units there is a field that says what they can build. Its down at the bottom by the name and crud. You can change the Icon for Build in the Game Interface, and for the starting out with people, I just directly changed the worker and main building, then created brand new units for everything else. So: Change all the stuff on a peon so it doesn't even have anything to do with a peon and do the same with the Strognhold and when you start as orcs, those will already be made. Did you get that?

Level 15
First of all, all the warcraft races are hardcoded, so making a new race in the proper way implies a huge modification in the game itself.

So the best solutions are:
- Make you custom race based on a normal warcraft race or....
- Make you custom race based on a normal warcraft race.

Level 2
Here's the best way to break down what I am doing. I am making a custom game (map) based off of the "Song Of Fire And Ice" series. I want all 4 races to be human. Simple. But, I want each race of human to have it's own heroes and a few slight modifications to individual units.

Ex:
Humans change name to "Starks"
-unique heroes
-Priests and spell casters w/ unique abilites

Undead=Humans with the name change "Lannisters"
-unique heroes
-Priests and spell casters w/ unique abilites

I can't imagine that this is THAT difficult to do, but maybe I'm wrong. I started out giving all the human units and buildings to each race and modifying them individually, but it's a friggin nightmare.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Level 8
To change the race names in the menu:
-At the top of the screen, click "Advanced"
-Go down to "Game Interface.."
-Tick the box labeled "Use Custom Game Interface"
-Scroll down to, for example "Text - General - 'Human'" and "Text - General - Human:" (its about 1/2 way)
-Change the word 'Human' to whatever that race is meant to be.
-Do this for all 4 Races

To actually get those races to spawn right:
-At the top of the screen is the object editor, click it or hit F6 as a shortcut.
-Find the Peasant (Human Builder)
-Edit the Peasant until it is how you want that races builder
-Do the same with the Town Hall (and the upgrades if you want, but best to just remove its ability to upgrade and do upgrades from scratch)
-Edit the "Units Trained" and "Structures Built" bits until you can branch off the builder and base into the new race.
note:eek:n occasion it bugs up building if you build inter-race buildings, like an undead making a human building.

Hope that helps

Level 2
To change the race names in the menu:
-At the top of the screen, click "Advanced"
-Go down to "Game Interface.."
-Tick the box labeled "Use Custom Game Interface"
-Scroll down to, for example "Text - General - 'Human'" and "Text - General - Human:" (its about 1/2 way)
-Change the word 'Human' to whatever that race is meant to be.
-Do this for all 4 Races

To actually get those races to spawn right:
-At the top of the screen is the object editor, click it or hit F6 as a shortcut.
-Find the Peasant (Human Builder)
-Edit the Peasant until it is how you want that races builder
-Do the same with the Town Hall (and the upgrades if you want, but best to just remove its ability to upgrade and do upgrades from scratch)
-Edit the "Units Trained" and "Structures Built" bits until you can branch off the builder and base into the new race.
note:eek:n occasion it bugs up building if you build inter-race buildings, like an undead making a human building.

Hope that helps

I haven't set the build orders yet, but I'ce changed the names in the game interface menu and it seems to have no effect. It still uses the old race names. Maybe it just can't be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.