• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What's vJass exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey sorry if this sounds stupid but I'm wondering, what's vJass?

Is it a way to say "Advanced Jass"?

Is it more functions and such?

Any informations are apreciated.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is a an extension to the JASS scripting language that purly allows time to be saved and make it more easy to code in. It does not add anything new that JASS was not able to preform before, afterall it compiles to normal JASS appon map save.

Useful features are the ability to use globals more easilly, the ability to structure code better, the better development environment and better syntax checker (all from JNGP).

Level 3
Alright thank you very much, may I ask where I can get this jewel and import it into my maps.

Is it a bunch of functions I add in my map or something like a dll (I know it's not a dll but you get the idea).

Level 21
Alright thank you very much, may I ask where I can get this jewel and import it into my maps.

Is it a bunch of functions I add in my map or something like a dll (I know it's not a dll but you get the idea).

It's like what c++ is to c. It extends on the original c language with e.g. object oriented features, but it doesn't add any functions.

Vjass is actually compiled back into jass, so *everything* you can do with vjass you can do with jass. It just makes things more "abstract" and easier to use.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I already said that...
Basically, all it does is allow time to be saved as it makes making certain code structures easier. Also the code becomes more readable as it is a slightly higher language.
Unlike GUI which is also a higher language, it retains all capabilities and potentials of normal JASS as any additions of vJASS are also optional.
Thus I can only recommend using it as there is no real down side to it and there are quite a number of useful features.

Level 19
Tip: vJASS WILL NOT allow you to do something that JASS cant do
(I know what Ive said... dont tell me those global declerations and debugging stuff)

I ment dont get ideas like it may allow me to change game interface in game or make a fps game etc

Level 3
I've just downloaded what spiwn linked me and I'm really liking the syntax and built-in Jass editor in WE.

But where can I see what's been added in vJass, any list of new natives or such?

Level 21
C++ is a different language to C.

vJASS is a way of making coding in JASS so, SO, SOOO much easier, nicer and faster.

c++ originally was designed as an extension. It's fully backwards compatible with c and c++ compilers originally compiled back to c before compiling the program (there's still one popular compiler that does this I think). So I thought it was a pretty good comparison as vjass too compiles back to jass while adding functionality that's totally strange to jass.

Status
Not open for further replies.