• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What's the easiest way to get started animating models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm a 3d animator hobbyist (mostly I dabble in 2d, looking to move to here for actual game animation experience)

I'm mostly comfortable using Blender, Maya, and Daz but there seems to be woefully little support for these programs here.

After looking at guides, they're pointing me at very depressing programs that I don't find user-friendly (CAD THO!?)

Am I missing something? Is there a tool I can use to export blends to mdl for example

Level 29
Since when do people animate in CAD programs? (and how is that related to WC3?)

3ds Max can import/export MDX files, either with Blizzard's Art Tools, but that's for the ancient 3ds Max 4 and 5, or with NeoDex for all recent versions (note that it also works with Gmax, if getting 3ds Max is an issue for you).

There are no WC3 exporters for Blender that export animations, as far as I know.

There are no WC3 exporters for Maya, as far as I know.

If you specifically want to work with Blender or Maya, you can probably export as FBX/Collada, import to 3ds Max, and from there export to MDX.

Status
Not open for further replies.