• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I'm an animator trying to figure out how to use Maya/Blender with Warcraft III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm not great at research, I HAVE managed to do things like get my Maya animations into Super Smash Brothers Brawl, so I don't know how after months, I still haven't been able to figure this out.

I know there are animation tools, but compared to Maya and Blender, I don't know, they just feel inaccessible.

Could anyone possibly give me any pointers on where to start on using these programs? Is it doable?

Level 3
I've been waiting for someone to create the tools for this for almost a decade now. The closest you'll get is 3DMax with NeoDex and that seems to cause people more problems than its worth.

Wait for Reforged, I suspect we'll see modern tools being available then, instead of being stuck in this archaic past :p

Utterly tragic... I weep for us...
thanks for the quick response

Level 23
Neodex is great, but yes, it can have issues with complex scenes.
If you have 3ds max 4 or 5 you can use the official Warcraft III Art Tools 1.0
But even those are buggy af, outputting very broken model files for many cases.
I wonder how blizzard fixed up their models.
However they allow for some gimmicks like reactor physics animations:
vGkxPIm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.