• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Whats the best way to block an attack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

So... I was thinking my block/evasion system of my campaign...

How do I make a unit block attacks ? Whats the best way? Is it healing the unit as soon as it gets damaged ? Or is there a better way?

I want the block chance to be defined by items carried by a hero. Do blizzard spells are not an option here. Any help ?

Level 12
There is an ability called "Hardened Skin" (I think... it's the ability on the mountain giant, anyway, or whatever the night elf rock giant is called).

You can specify how much damage it blocks and the % chance. You can put this ability on items and it works.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Damage detection is definitely not necessary. Use the ability "Hardened Skin" which gives a chance to block # damage. Configure this and put it on your items.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Okay... So I put the hardened skin or evasion ability on the item as some of you are saying. But then does it stack ? If not Ill have to use a bonusmod (importing errors and stuff) as said above by Zweliebchen.

Level 12
Okay... So I put the hardened skin or evasion ability on the item as some of you are saying. But then does it stack ? If not Ill have to use a bonusmod (importing errors and stuff) as said above by Zweliebchen.

It does not stack. I think it checks if one will block damage and, if it doesn't, checks the next one.

Evasion does stack, I think in the same way, except it blocks all damage and effects, so it doesn't need to add the damage reduction together.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Evasion does stack, I think in the same way, except it blocks all damage and effects, so it doesn't need to add the damage reduction together.

Are you 100 % sure that evasion stacks ??

Level 12
Are you 100 % sure that evasion stacks ??

I haven't used evasion in forever. I remember it stacking, but now I'm doubting myself lol. I am not 100% sure, so I would test it first. It would be hard to calculate how it stacks. I guess you could just hit the unit a bunch and calculate the % dodged attacks.

Level 13
Text from the Talisman of Evasion reads, "Does not stack with Evasion or Drunken Brawler."

I would draw from this that Evasion doesn't stack. Probably for good reason. A Demon Hunter with 5 of these in his inventory could not be damage by attacks. Of course, the chance that he would get that many is minute, but still. The only way I could imagine Evasion stacking is if it somehow had some method of having diminishing returns or something. Perhaps if you have 30% evasion then pick up 10% more, the effectiveness of the 10% would be decreased by 30%? I don't know, seems overly complicated.

Level 12
Text from the Talisman of Evasion reads, "Does not stack with Evasion or Drunken Brawler."

I would draw from this that Evasion doesn't stack. Probably for good reason. A Demon Hunter with 5 of these in his inventory could not be damage by attacks. Of course, the chance that he would get that many is minute, but still. The only way I could imagine Evasion stacking is if it somehow had some method of having diminishing returns or something. Perhaps if you have 30% evasion then pick up 10% more, the effectiveness of the 10% would be decreased by 30%? I don't know, seems overly complicated.

From a coding standpoint, it actually isn't that complicated. All you have to do is run each chance separately. Check 30% chance. If it fails, check 10% chance. It will never be 100% chance unless one evasion chance is 100% on its own.

I agree, though. Stacked evasion would be silly.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

@Zwiebelchen, Aahh......Is it possible via a DDS or a DMS ?

Level 24
Ability types do not stack.
Drunken Brawler, Evasion (including the talisman) are the same ability type so they do not stack.

Evasion itself does stack.
However, this has the same stacking algorithm as critical strikes in WC3.
When hit, there is a separate check if the evasion succeeded and if one of them did, then you evaded the attack.

The exact calculation (if I am not mistaken, rounded to factors between 0 and 1) is this:
1 - (combined succession factor)
succession factor is the chance that an attack did hit you.
So when you have 70% chance to dodge, you have 0.3 succession factor.
combined succession factor is all those succession factors combined, 0.3 X 0.5 X 0.5, etc, etc, etc.

If the first one evades, the second check is still done, equal as all other checks, that is the whole point of running things separately.

However, to solve your problem, you can just use the item version of evasion.
Or if you have a proper coded map, your DDS should be able to block all additional effects because the additional effects are made on the DDS event that would be fired when the damage was successful, aka the afterDamage event... which people just refuse to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.