• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What u think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I tuke a break off working on my Omaha Beach Map and just designed this Winter Theme 64x64 map heres the screenie

winterthemebb1.png

(This is the older brother by the way :p)

I tryed to go for a Dwarfen Winter Effect.

Last edited:
Level 15
Doesen't look to good.

Why are all the trees white of snow, but the ground's not ? You have some rocks there (without any snow) and yu have ice rocks. It doesen't make any sense. No tile variation what so ever. Those hills look awfull.

So, try to use some tile variation, lower those hills and make some small humps here and there. And don't take a screen so that you can see the edge of the map.

Level 7
Its still bland, the variation is too great (Make it less pointy) and the camp looks like it was done in 5 seconds. Better than last one though.

Level 6
Its been removed by the mods, I will keep on learning how to terrain better and plus the map after omaha beach is snowey Village. Plus the omaha beach map has been being upgraded I am adding German music in sound their bunkers and inside buildings and I also been learning how to model. Which will also help later on in my maps.

I will be releasing a Snowey Village Screenie Preveiw what i am aimming for that but for now i am at least aimming to do this omaha beach untill its fully completed and might try and make it into a One Person Game later on so when u finish that mission u go onto the next one.

Level 36
If you didn't notice, I was the mod that took your map down lol. But only after Fl4mes, another mod, pointed it out. The problem is, making an authentic map is not always the best solution. Sure you could have everything done up with custom models, icons, skins and sounds, but it takes up WAY to much space and it isn't feasable. Remember that you can't host a map larger then 4 MB on Battle.Net. Your Omaha Beach one was nearly 3 times over the limit.

Level 36
Yes this is exactly what I'm trying to tell you. You cannot make a map that big, because you wont be able to host it on battle.net So, if you cut down on all the crap your importing, and get rid of some, then you might be able to get it down below 4 MB. The best way to do this is to modify ingame stuff to serve the purpose that custom things would have. So if you want a gunner, instead of making a new model, why not just use the Rifleman or the marine? It works just as well, sure it's not AS realistic, but it works all the same, and it saves them a ton of space.

Level 36
Jezz thats ugly -.-

Dude, don't you have anything a tad more USEFUL to say? If all your gonna do is post shit like this, then don't even bother. Are you trying to make yourself look good? Are you trying to make people believe that your skills are far beyond this guys because you think it sucks? Offer up some reasoning behind your arguement, otherwise people have no reason to believe anything you say. You say it sucks. Good for you, you don't say why, so why should I believe you? Just point blank trashing his work is a really childish move, so unless you have some good comments to post that can help the author better his skills, then don't even post at all.

Level 6
Lol. Dude, you are so funny ^^.
But what may i say if the screenies are really UGLY? And there are lots of advices and comments above...
Before he posts his screens here i think he checked out another screenies on forum. And he should know how sucky his work looks there..
I dont even know why u wasted so much time to write so much text :D
"Do not judge the saints" (c)
Im saint, you are not, so dont judge me.
~~~~~~~~

Level 8
Its more like...people come here that are new to terraining to ask for advice and learn how to get better. Thats one of the main purposes of this forum. THere is no problem with voicing your disapproval of a picture, but at least defend your argument in a respectful way so taht the terrainer can better himself and fix any problems you may find the picture.

If you dont like something and are gonna be disrespectful about it and not even say why you dont like, then keep it to yourself; nobody wants an asshole trolling these forums to put down newcomers.

Level 13
Back on topic...
The hills look a little blank. Add some rock tiles to the mountains.
Also, wheres the wildlife? There should be some stags maybe a few penguins around there.
The noise tool is a bad idea unless you use it with the smooth tool to create a soft ripple effect.
Additionally, if you want to take really nice looking screenies, try adding a little fog under the scenario-gameplay menu.

Level 36
Lol. Dude, you are so funny ^^.
But what may i say if the screenies are really UGLY? And there are lots of advices and comments above...
Before he posts his screens here i think he checked out another screenies on forum. And he should know how sucky his work looks there..
I dont even know why u wasted so much time to write so much text :D
"Do not judge the saints" (c)
Im saint, you are not, so dont judge me.
~~~~~~~~

Demons of Dante pretty much summed it up. If something is horribly ugly, you tell them why you think it is, and you give them tips and advice for how to make it better. If he looked at other work, then he would constantly be comparing his to the others, and since he is a beginner, and most others around here are fairly pro, it wouldn't do him any good anyway. You are not a saint, and I'll judge you all I bloody want.

Level 13
Here ya go, I made this up in about 30 min just now. Its a Dwarven base that you can look at as a reference. The original terrain itself is based off your most recent post of your terrain. I just added in some doodads and units.
minejf2.png

mine3uj0.png

mine2jr6.png

Comparing your work to others is the best way to get better in my opinion. Just dont be too hard on yourself if you cant create "godly" terrains, some people who are on this site have played around with world editor for 4+ years.

Attachments

• Example.w3x
    35.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Level 8
The "Dwarven Mines" is better, however, there's a few problems.

-The placement of the house is unrealistic. There is no path leading up to it, the house is in a precarious position on the hill.

-Again, snow. There is snow on everything in your screenies, except for the house, the cannons, and a couple of rocks.

-The lantern placement in the mines is poor. The lantern above the signpost is behind the sign, which would be redundant in terms of using it to read the sign.

-The well is in poorly positioned, as well. Wells tend to be placed on flat areas, since they need to be sturdy and the foundation strong.

That's all I have to say :)

Level 6
The ones i posted only tuke 2mins. And i am just trying to get into a better terraining look in snow at the moment Because i am planning to start my
"Snowey Village" map but first i am finishing omaha beach which is going to be about 6MB - 8MB big. So wont be a good idea to host. (For Slow Uploading speeds.)

Update : This what i just done in 3mins but hey its looks ok.

check the attachments for the images.

Also check out the map.

Attachments

• sample1.jpg
    sample1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Sample2.jpg
    Sample2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Sample3.jpg
    Sample3.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 83
  • Northanded.w3x
    35.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Level 6
IF YOU POST THIS MAP IT WILL BE DELETED. What don't you understand? A map that is over 4 MB in size CANNOT be hosted on Battle.Net AT ALL. PERIOD.

Dude i do understand and I was saying I know Battle.net doesn't allow you. But i installed Fronze throne on laptop and i hosted it and my Brother could get on it at my dads pc. (My dad lives in a different house).

So please don't come saying you can't host maps blah blah blah Everyone knows.. So please stop posting spam and get off my topic :)

Level 6
Hmm looks kinda, boring?
The idea with the cannon tower is nice but thats all... and i dont think people should make snowy terrain without enough experience in mapmaking.
For me is a snowy landscape a difficulty thing, you need to create a landscape that doesnt look boring, wich is kinda hard with this little amount of doodads.

A very important thing is, that there isnt civilisation or much. So you should watch for a natural look without the "human shape".

@Mapper for life... your nick is almost the same as my old mapping clan:
Mapper 4 Life~

And youre sure about that? I mean everyone talks about this rumor warn people about it. And now you get on the screen and say something like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.