• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

What tools should I use to make maps now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I made some maps many years ago and plan to return now in October. Im starting from scratch again in a way, although I feel comfortable infront of the flood of information in the editor.

But with the news of the classic team focusing on WC3, patches rolling out, this WURST thing, that improved non-blizzard editor etc.. What should I use now? Are there problems building something in the fan made editor if 1.31 comes out soon?

I don't script or focus on one thing specifically. I compose maps, stitching my ideas and the Hive community's awesome assets together into a new game.

Level 11
I agree with Chaosy. Vanilla editor is good for most people who can't code, especially since Blizzard improved it recently (raise of doodads limit, 16 terrain tiles instead of 13...). Plus, Blizzard is still working on new stuff for the editor.
HiveWE is being developed currently, and it has very nice features, but it is still a work in progress.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
16 terrain tiles instead of 13...
WorldEdit, and Warcraft III has always supported 16 tile types. The problem was that one could not use WorldEdit to select 16 tile types due to an artificial limit that originated to save GPU memory space by defining a "slot" as a 256x256 texture area. The reason 16 is the limit is because 4 bits are reserved for a tile type index in the w3e files.

One could get around this by modifying the w3e file directly. One still can do this to add 16 clif types, however only at most 2 cliff types will function correctly.

I would suggest sticking to either standard WorldEdit, or using HiveWE. Stardard WorldEdit is being feature expanded to be feature compatible with JNGP within reason. HiveWE is open source and might be more compatible with other modding systems like Wurst.

Status
Not open for further replies.