• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What the hell happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
For some god awful retarded reason, when I saved and published a map of mine, it reverted all of the terrain back to what it was before the changes, kept all the triggers that I added, removed a dependency I updated, and changed the tileset from Haven to Agria... WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED EXACTLY!? This isn't something I can simply Edit-Undo!

Well if I wasn't sure you were positive the changes made took effect after you saved then published, I would say that you didn't save your map. When you publish a map that isn't saved, it usually displays a message "Error - There are unsaved changes to the map", but if you publish anyways, it loads the saved file.

As for your issue .. well .. what the fuck happened is exactly what I would say. Unfortunately I've never heard of this kind of issue before.. so I honestly don't know of a way to fix it.

Maybe one of those 1/1,000,000, possibility things? Sucks dude, sorry to hear it :p

Level 10
I saved over a map just the other day, similar thing.

I made a map called "missiles test", and saved it.
I made a different map, and then saved it as the same name.

It asked to save over, I said yes.

I open the save, and it kept the Data from the first one, the Triggers from the second one.

Was a mess!

:ugly:

Level 9
This is just one of the many thats really frustrating me, before it blanked out all of my custom tooltips and nothing I did could do would restore them and I didn't feel like typing it all out again. And I still don't know how that is possible, the map was saved and published, at least one of the 2 files should have all the changes made, but both of them show the same signs of... WTF-ness, at this point I would really rather have a shitty editor that worked than a state of the art editor that fucks up a ton.

Edit: Remembered I had it set up Back-ups in the preferences, but the last backup it saved showed the same signs, just a few less triggers though...

Nevermind, I know what your problem is. Nothing was deleted, you simply can't see it.

Go to dependencies, and move the second dependency up. This may sound confusing.. but it will work.

Dependencies.png

Everytime it happens, move the second dependency up. No matter what dependency it actually is, it's always the second one, and it always goes up.

Don't ask how I figured this one out.. I really don't remember.

Edit: It forces the editor to reload dependencies, which it does not do on start-up. If you have a map with dependencies, you cannot view, edit, etc any unit / doodad / anything else connected to the dependency until you order the editor to reload it's files.

Hopefully.. Blizzard will patch this in the future.. and have the editor load whatever dependencies the map is currently using.

It's extremely painful.. I have to operate my map in 2 different modes: Dependencies on, and Dependencies off. If they are on, I can view / move / edit placed units using the dependency. However I can not edit them in the data editor. If they are off, I can edit my custom abilities, and any unit not requiring a dependency in the data editor.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense.. but basically the GE fails epicly hard right now.

Level 9
Thats not the case, I know the difference between dependency glitches and what happened to the map I saved. Its very different, its not that I can't see/view objects in the map, its that it A. Kept the triggers, B. Changed the Mod i had to an older version, C. Undid all the changes I did to terrain and unit ownerships of preplaced units, and D. Changed the map from Haven terrain to Agria.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Firstly if you use the campaign mods, delete the Multi mod as those confict with each other (just discovered this).

Secondly it is probably cause by you keeping two or more maps opened at the same time. I believe that there is a bug in SC2E which results in data leaking from one map to another because it does not clear some caches between loading maps or under certain conditions. Thus when you save it is reading the data from the cache which still contains information from a different map or previous maps resulting in reversions, improper saves and even unexpected changes.

I advise opening the map directly or closing the default map if from the main executable and leaving only one map open at a time (file -> close before file -> open). Also keep backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.