• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

What programs do you need to model and how do you model skills and items?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Ive looked on google, Ive tryed the wierdest, biggest, and STUPIDEST files there is and I cant figure out what you need to model. Now I tried to model skills and items the same way you model a character (I know I probably sound like the stupdiest person around) but everytime I do the model doesnt show. Im sorry if this is too much of a complex question (because of all the questions) but I really need help. Thank you very much. One more thing (heh) I tried that blizzard art tools and it said I didnt have that 3x thinggy. (I hope im close) How do i get that 3x thinggy and is it free?

Last edited:
Level 32
Modeling and Modeling Programs

Two methods of modeling are practiced by model authors:
  1. Model editing entails using an existing model and changing it.
  2. Scratch modeling is creating an entirely new model from nothing.
Spell and ability effects models (SFX) are usually easier to create than units or buildings.

The "Blizzard Art Tools" program is an optional plug-in for 3DSMax 4/5. Later editions of Max (I believe the current version is 9) do not support those tools, and versions 4 and 5 are no longer available. 3DSMax IS registered software and is very expensive.

Many freeware programs exist that allow aspiring modelers to learn and practice the craft. The two most vital and necessary tools are:Warcraft 3 MDL Tools by oinkerwinkle is an excellent place to start: download links and tutorials are available.

THW's 3D Modeling Tutorials provide a great deal of additional information about modeling and model editing.

Level 7
Thanks So Much!

Wow you guys really do help ALOT. Thanks to all of you that posted! But wolf one more thing. That model editor you posted, it doesnt work, it comes up with an error message saying make sure you have warcraft 3 installed and some file that still exists. Last time I checked I never deleted anything for warcraft...... Dunno.... the only time I dled a patch was when I first got warcraft because it didnt work. If thats the problem than where do I get the patches...lol...wait is it them thinggys that automaticlly update when you go on b.net? If so than yea I got all the patches

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.