• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What needs to be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Wolfe, this question is mostly for you.
What needs to be done before we're releasing the long waited beta? If you write a list I could probably do SOMETHING to help you guys besides writing things here on the hive. I haven't coded anything for like ... Ages. D:

If one of you makes a list of the things we still need to do, I could just pick a random thing on that list and then work it out, and Everwood will be completed sooner.

Level 9
Cool, but today I degraded my computer from Vista to XP, so I'll need to reinstall a whole lot of stuff before I can code the spells. I also need to get a bit more familiar with Zinc/cJass before I start coding them. Also, could you e-mail me the condition system so that I can check it out?

Level 9
I asked Wolfe to mail you the spells, but if you have nothing to do, you could start coding some kind of NPC System. As you might've read, the npc's in Everwood aren't static, they're moving around. In the evening they'll go inside their houses, and in the day they'll be working on something.
I think a time system would be a good place to start, like a system which returns the time of day, and you could have certain event run when it gets a certain time of day. Like, in the evening, it gets dark and foggy, while in the day it's sunny, or perhaps even raining.

Level 6
Haha =]

Only one exam left for me this year, did the last two this week :p

For the moment, the WorldTime system is very easy to use. It works in similar ways to "TimerUtils" and "Table", it gives you some functions to use, and does not limit itself with hardcoded parts.

There are 3 functions right now:
JASS:
AddWorldTimeResponse(interface function) // fires on events: DAWN, DAY & NIGHT
AddRealTimeResponse(interface function, real timeMin, real timeMax) // fires a little more randomly than above
AddTimeResponse(interface function, real time) // fires only when gametime == "time"

Level 6
Yeah, depending on some "is-time-within-x-range" thing. Where X is changeable. Currently there's only support for one timeout(update frequency), 1. But that will probably change.

Added "GetGameTime", "GetGameTimeString" and "GetGameState" functions.

GetGameTime -> returns in-game day-time in a real
GetGameTimeString -> returns in-game day-time in a string formatted "hh:mm" (ex 10:33)
GetGameState -> returns "DAY,NIGHT,DAWN" values

But, it may not be so very efficient at lower timer frequencies because of multiple O(n) loops per tick.

Level 6
I screwed the NPCBehaviour and replaced it with a simplified version: NPCEvent!

Right now I'm facing a major decision, whether to use dynamic triggers, or a static trigger with delayed cleaning and swapping.

In short terms dynamic triggers are MUCH easier to code, but less safe than a swapp combined with a delayed destroy.

Swapping triggers & events + delayed cleaning may be hard to code, but will generally be safer because of the delay.

Efficiency-wise the only problem with dynamic triggers are the amount of them, 1000 triggers will surely impose a lag of some degree. While the swapping-method becomes slow by much event-detection, useless trigger execution and more complex code.

As of now I'm inclined towards the swapping method. Though, it will require more code and one-time-use variables.

EDIT: Wrote a quick trigger-swapping function and I'll post some updates later this week. If it works, the NPControl is nearly finished!

Level 6
Aight, time for some double-posting!

I hope that everyone had a great new year's eve yesterday, I certainly had :D

Back to business; I've not coded much on this side of Christmas, but I'll try to work when I'm not writing on my essay, which is pretty darn big.

Status
Not open for further replies.