• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is the Alliance doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
So this a question that has been pestering me since the death of Varian, why does no one seem to be in control in the Alliance. To be completely honest, I do not even think there is an Alliance at this point, think of it when in Legion have we ever seen the Alliance united?

If you do the PvP world quests in the broken shore you will be encountered with numerous battles between the WarChief of the Horde and Genn Greymane... No I'm not kidding the entire Horde is uniting against Greymane alone. The night elves on the other hand are all in Val'Sharah, the druids, priests and soldiers are all protecting that one location. The Draenei and Velen are a bit all over the place to be honest with the death of the prophets son, Rakeesh.

The Horde on the other hand are far more united, when the Horde acts we see them do so under the command of Sylvanas, one army, a real army, united under one leader with one purpose. We however don't see the Horde dominate the islands because Sylvanas seems to have an absolute lack of care for the island as a military base.

But this brings up one question, why doesn't the Alliance unite under one leader like the Horde did? If they had one strategist making the decisions, directing their force, they could accomplish far more in their battle against the Legion, yet they don't... So who would be the ideal leader? It would have to be someone with experience as a military leader, who knows the Legion as well as the land in which they'll fight. In my mind there's only one person who fits that role, Tyrande Whisperwind.

Yes, just like Sylvanas leads the Horde, Tyrande should lead the Alliance. Tyrande has defended Azeroth from two separate Legion invasions, she has lead the priesthood of Elune for the past 10,000 years and is a force to be reckoned with on the field of battle. She grew up in Suremmar, knows Val'Sharah and fought in the same war as the Tauren tribe inhabiting Highmountain. She could easily with the resources establish a base in the western parts of the Broken Isles, align the Nightborne and the tauren tribe under her banner as well as the court of Ferondis and create a united front against the Legion.

In my opinion it seems like absolute madness that the other races wouldn't elect Tyrande as the High Queen (or whatever title she prefers) of the Alliance seeing how Azeroth is literally burning around them. But what do you think, do you agree with me when I say the Alliance has been doing an abysmal job in Legion, do you think someone else would suit better on the throne?

Level 34
That's the problem, the alliance revolves around the human monarchy, almost every high leader of the alliance has been a king of Stormwind or Lordaeron (Llane, Terenas, Varian), basically the alliance is a synonymous of humans, that's why i suppose that Anduin even with his innexperience and insecurity is gonna be the next Alliance high leader :s; even when, like u said, there are so much better options for a leader, like Tyrande or Velen, the horde on the other hand, is the opposite, anyone can be the chieftain, because there is no kingdom to rule, the people are the nation, instead of a country.

Tyrande should have owned the Broken Islands with that curriculum, but she was again a secondary character, she could be an awesome leader for the Alliance, but i really doubt that will ever happen u_u, as long as the human monarchy lives in azeroth :c

Level 34
They will just invent a new human character for it, like they invented Varian in the past. All the surrounding lore can just appear as required.

Or they could just bring back Varian in typical Warcraft style. Just because he died does not mean he is dead! After all this worked for Muradin and Illidan.
Varian was teleported in the last minute and now wanders suramar as an amnesiac hobo (again), called himself Varianus the not king at all, but he will regain his memories back in the next expansion XD

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Varian was teleported in the last minute and now wanders suramar as an amnesiac hobo (again), called himself Varianus the not king at all, but he will regain his memories back in the next expansion XD
Or he gets replaced with an alternative version of himself from another dimension, or even with a version of himself saved just before he was killed using time travel. There is no limit to Blizzard's imagination!

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
The High King thing was always rather stupid, glad the quests for it never really made it out of beta. Varian could've had more potential as a character plus build some connection to the playerbase if there was some questline, or just something, to rescue him from Alcaz island. Instead he was randomly dropped on us in wrath with the release of that awful comic with some characters that shall not be named.

Technically the Alliance hasn't had a leader since Lord Lothar's death, it is after all an alliance between kingdoms not an organization that is meant to rule all in it such as the Horde. Cataclysm would've been the perfect opportunity to elect a Supreme Commander for the alliance but that never happened with much of the ally content in that period. As in the second war no leader of the allies would've managed to be the SC, so it would come down to individuals who have shown they have the capability to command such a large force. It would have probably turned out to be a Dwarf commander if it happened, the night elves would have voted for one of their own and so would have the Draenei. The factions in the eastern kingdoms would have compromised and settled on some high ranking dwarf either an old lore character or someone new to lead in this shattered world. Not the factions in the alliance just overall military command shall belong to whoever the commander is.

As for who the hell could possibly be the Supreme Commander of the Alliance now, I'm not all too sure. Genn will probably be the face of the alliance since Anduin's popularity has always been abysmal.

Level 24
Tyrande should have owned the Broken Islands with that curriculum, but she was again a secondary character, she could be an awesome leader for the Alliance, but i really doubt that will ever happen u_u, as long as the human monarchy lives in azeroth :c

Yeah, seems like everyone has the same approach, the community seems to think Anduin will end up leading it all, which is... interesting considering this:

"The boy-king serves at the master's table. Three lies will he offer you."

It would seem as though Anduin is a puppet of the Old Gods which if he gets put in charge of the Alliance will only cause trouble. But the potential of an Old God expansion just makes Tyrande all the more of a necessity. After all it was the Night Elves who fought of C'Thun and its forces during the war of the shifting sands. To be honest it's strange that Tyrande was ever not considered as the Supreme Commander of the Alliance seeing as she has 10,000 years of military experience on Azeroth. She shows compassion for all other races when they are oppressed, even Broxigar who the rest of race found disgusting. It is hard to imagine that she would not care for the needs of the other races. She is in every logical way the best choice, that's what makes it so sad that she always ends up being nothing but a sidekick in WoW.

Or he gets replaced with an alternative version of himself from another dimension

Sounds like something Blizzard would do actually. :D But damn it I hope not.

The High King thing was always rather stupid,

Well to be honest the entire Alliance is rather stupid isn't it, other than Garrosh the faction has never united to fight one enemy though. I have pondered on that myself if the Alliance is too divided to ever make anything happen on their own. It was their lack of unity that lost them the support of the Blood Elves in Mists of Pandaria. Lor'Themar was ready and willing to join the Alliance until Jaina went ahead and took blood elves hostage.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
The alliance dogs are being wimps as usual.
(Notice that being is a verb, thus doing something)

On a serious note, I do not see the point of Tyrande taking leadership from a story telling POV.
Tyrande and Anduin are pretty similar.
Actually most alliance dogs are pretty similar and lack character or well most of them anyway.
Might have something to do with them being being priests although of a slightly different kind.

If they want to make the alliance into a remotely interesting faction make Greymane leader.
1. He has a beef with the horde which brings back the Warcraft as it used to be before cosmetic super sayan power levels were introduced.
2. He is not a stereotypical boring good guy like Anduin

Something all other Alliance leaders lack.

Other than Varian, Varian was good.

Level 24
As a big elf fan I must disagree, Tyrande used to be very interesting in WarCraft III and the War of the Ancients, it's more in later works that she has been pushed to the side. Blizzard has essentially made Tyrande into Malfurions trophy wife as she does nothing but look pretty while her husband does all the work for some reason. If they were to return Tyrande to the action I would be very pleased.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Dunno about that.
Tyrande has one of the coolest ultimates in WC3, if not the coolest one.
But her personality did not strike my as remotely unique or interesting in wc3.
She was a genetic good guy (or woman) to me.
Possibly due her having one of the more boring storylines as well.

Arthas went from good to evil
Kael'thas was betrayed and ultimately joined Illidan
Illidan made the elf story remotely interesting (for both Kael and Miev)
Grom made Thrall's story interesting. (which was into expanded into the Rexxar campaign which was amazing)

Meanwhile the first elf campaign is to defeat the ultimate evil and do overall good guy stuff.
Yes, the story itself is not bad but it is not made good by the characters.
You could insert any character into that storyline and it would probably be just as good.

Illidan made Tyrande and Malfurion into OK characters, without Illidan they were one dimensional characters from your average children fantasy story.
Obviously, they were still boring even with Illidan, but since Illidan was there we could make due.

An interesting elf, without giving the biased Sylvanas answer, is Azshara.
I went to my War of the Ancients novel (which I am yet to read, I've only gotten my info about the WOA second hand from wowwiki) and opened a random page, first try I got page 108 to grab a random quote.
I then went to grab a quote from Tyande in the same book on page 132.

"What I wanted to talk to you about Malfurion. His name is Broxigar... and he is unlike any being I've ever heard or seen. I know your tale important, but I want you to meet him now, as a favor for me."
"I warn you my darling councilor, I adore surprises but this one I expect to be quite, quite Delicious."

Without using the keywords (names/titles) I could easily tell which one is which since Azshara speaks differently since her personality is completly different from the average night elf. You could probably throw one Azshara line among 20 other lines and I would be able to choose the one spoken by her based on speech pattern alone. Which I think is a good sign of a unique character.
I could write an essay on why Azshara (in my opinion) is a way more interesting character but that is one of the more obvious and easier ones to present.

Last edited:
Level 24
Actually the point of Azshara is that she's the perfect ideal for the Night Elves, she is as stereotypical as a Night Elf could be. The true outcast who is 100% unique in that book would be Malfurion. In fact Tyrande, while her role as a priestess doesn't make her an outcast has opinions regarding Queen Azshara which certainly labels her as such, while everyone else has a romanticised view of the queen it is Tyrande and Malfurion who questions her rule.

Also, I'd recommend using WoWPedia instead of wowwiki as I find it more reliable of a website, especially considering the fact that wowwiki often have a tendency to pass of lore from the RPG as facts even though the story is non-canon. They also often have issues with updating their facts in a timely fashion.

Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.