1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What features would you like to see in Galaxy Editor?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Bribe, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Hero_Lief

Hero_Lief

Resources:
    Resources:
    So true, and effects can happen naturally with a checkmark (Natural meaning, rain rarely in a desert, and snow not at all) and that they interact (if it's raining and then sunny, you might see a rainbow, but more likely puddles will dry faster than normal) and of course, no environments on a platform unless specifically instructed by triggers (In case say, the map is of a crazy scientist who made artificial elements). That'd be awesome.

2. JakeCake

JakeCake

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd like maps to have completely free UI, like removing EVERYTHING so the screen is all clear, and then add some elements like a life-bar in the middle of the screen and such.

Also, what would be the most awesome thing ever, is if Blizzard made connections to Web-Services possible! That would truly be amazing. I know they talked about maps being able to bind data to a users battle.net account, but I'm just used to SQL, and the possibilities would be endless that way.

3. Hero_Lief

Hero_Lief

Resources:
    Resources:
    Web services via their application, maybe.

The UI can do that, just look at their FPS Nova game. They mention when they're underground that the UI is totally flexible, and you can make your own, place your buttons, ETC.

4. l1lshadow

l1lshadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    THE ABILITY TO MAKE A UNIT EXPLODE!!!!!...

No but seriously, I hope you can pass units through timers or have waits in milliseconds like starcraft 1. (it makes me angry since I can't use jass newgen)

I also hope that you can add different "effects" in an ability so that you don't have to trigger it all the time and can only change the things the ability can do.

It would also be nice to have a "help" tab so that you can see what each function does(non GUI)

And the ability to make a unit explode...

5. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    hiho,

i would love a feature which allows to create an own object editor arrangement
    so that you not only have those standart cathegories but your specifics for your personal maps. =)

for example:
    Heroes
    Dummyunits
    Questunits
    Computer AI
    Enemies
    etc...

Robbepop

6. Bloody_Turds

Bloody_Turds

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    1. all the models, and object data from warcraft 3
    2. all of the units, and object data from starcraft
    3. ability, to not have to download imported resources, if said resources are on the computer, (including in another map)
    4. ability to EASILY store, and refrence variables attached to a specific unit
    5. Ability to store up to ~10 KB per map, per player, on the server, to save stuff with (pretty sure there allowing this?)
    6. ability to modify a model within the editor, reflecting the size of the changes, rather than the size of the model. It would save the actions preformed by the model editor, and apply them after download, greatly reducing required models, if you want to do 1-2 minor edits
    7. ability to apply multiple textures to the same model.
    8. ability to change any/all object data ingame with triggers.
    9. ability to load into games that have already started (for those rpgs)
    10. ability to send/recieve data from somewhere on the bnet server (imagine an mmorpg :)

and so much more we can only hopefor

UPDATE:

11. Direct access to all the code behind every system in the game
    12. Direct access to the code behind every ability
    13. Ability to automatically Convert a warcraft 3 map, into a starcraft 2 one, preserving everything. (never gonna happen :)
    14. Ability to modify textures in-game, storeing their changes, rather than their files (unless the changes end up being larger than the file itself)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  7. Fummy

Fummy

Resources:
    Resources:
    i would want this in galaxy editor
    A better custom AI system
    A way to make units have items like Wc3 heroes
    Custom shaped Regions (Not all rectangles)
    Spherical maps?
    Night and Day Clock
    An option to add more Stats (life and energy) so you could have like ammo or something
    A way to make an ability that holds ability's (like the spellbook in Wc3

8. GregerTheGreat

GregerTheGreat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Since Starcraft 2 uses 3D units and Starcraft uses 2D units, wont this be impossible?

9. JakeCake

JakeCake

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol :p Yeah, It would be imposible to import them directly, but I'm sure with use of some planes this could be achieved. Anyway, I think he just mean the unit type, not exact "model" from StarCraft I. Many units have been left out of SC2, and some new ones have arrived. I guess this guy want to remake StarCraft I in StarCraft II like so many others :)

EDIT: 13. Ability to automatically Convert a warcraft 3 map, into a starcraft 2 one, preserving everything. (never gonna happen :)

I think you might be able to export your height-map, but since the triggers is in a totally new language, I doubt the rest will be possible :p

10. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    hmmm where to begin. . .

1. able to layer terrains (so you can make proper buildings not the rooms spreaded out everywere all over the map)
    2. Make it possible for anything to come out of the ground ((you may or may not know what I'm on about)
    3. To be able to make perminent tunnels midgame (so you could dig underground tunnels then actually go into them as if they were there all along)
    4. Be able to combine differant object data spells so like posion and cluster rockets to make poison rockets
    5. Manipulate non-dummy unit sfx with triggers

I'll leave it at that for the moment.

11. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    How about an AI destablizer that makes each of a single player's units attack each other?

12. Bloody_Turds

Bloody_Turds

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    @ AI distablizer Oo, sounds like a skill maybe?, a little to inspecific, and sounds pretty easy to code

@ importin a warcraft 3 map, this would only be possible, if the pre-mentioned all models/ and data from wc3 were included in scs mpq..

@ include all starcraft units, Yes some models would have to be made.. but including a copy of the origional melee, in the game isnt all that unreasonable XD, concidering all the hard parts are done for those units (balance, tech tree)
    and if they were really lazy, they could talk with the people of project revolution XD and just use their models (although not as good as scratch modeling by blizzard, which would be best suggestion)

13. Fummy

Fummy

Resources:
    Resources:
    2. Make it possible for anything to come out of the ground ((you may or may not know what I'm on about)

Do you mean like the Nydus Worms?

14. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Pretty much, I'm mainly refering to the fact that wc3 units can't actually go half underground half above ground so if I want a projectile to come from the ground it would actually comeout of the ground rather than appear above ground suddenly (if u grab a missile modelled dummy unit and try to put it's fly height to '-' numbers with triggering it just hovers above ground and never goes actually into the floor which I want :p)

15. Bloody_Turds

Bloody_Turds

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    if you want it underground, you will have to edit the model most likely, for the missle

16. Catch_ya

Catch_ya

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I want this:
    Acess to detecting keyboard and mouse clicks/scroll. GetScrollDistance(), IsButtonHolded(button b). This way it will be much easier to make WASD movement, spacebar jump and alot of other good keyboard detections. Like opening minimap on M.
    I would also like galaxy to be OOP if it isn't.

17. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yeah I imagine you'll be able to register far more keyboard positions due to the fact that they didn't expect people to take WC3 so far so they didn't implement simple features like that.

18. Catch_ya

Catch_ya

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes, I heard that too. But I still expect bugs.

19. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Connection to a web service, and the ability to ensure that your map cannot be modified take the cake for me. I dont care if my work is modified, but if it can connect to my website where I am storing stats, I don't want some idiot modifying my map and giving false stats to my server.

20. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just remembered, I'd like to see a function in the Data editor to allow a units full damage be dealt in combat and none of it being wasted. For example, lets say I have a Marine thats edited and does 100 damage instead of 6, and you have 3 Zerglings together coming at him, and when the Marine fires the full 100 damage is dealt, killing 2 zerglings and reducing the third ones health to 5. Ofcourse there has to be some parameters if this is implemented such as the method the attack will be transferred via bounce or pierce and a radius for how close another enemy unit must be for this to take effect. Just something I'd like to see considering some of the potential damage I've seen wasted on a really low health unit before.