• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What features would you like to see in Galaxy Editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
all units from the first starcraft

I'm pretty sure Starcraft I objects are 2-dimensional images.

• Importing terrain from image files as a starting point for manual terrain editing. SimCity 4 had this capability. Color values in the image are translated to terrain heights. Using a third-party terrain generation tool to create the heightmap (these are available on the internet), highly realistic and natural looking terrain could be created in seconds, rather than hours.

This is already possible. Check terrain 1.30. In the tool section.

Level 8
Oh I can't wait for the game. From the blizzard examples, we can attach units or models to units bones or poly's (ultralisk with spine crawlers on his back). Also, I would like to see extended special effects and custom UI that you can change and or put anywhere on the screen unlike a multiboard.

Level 8
They said we would get fully flexible UI, that is 100% customizeable.

I agree on that just if we were able to place buttons all over the screen, imagine how much guessing and testing you would have to do in order to get the right position of the button. Might be just me but that would be extremely time consuming and a really long process. Sorta like using DGUI. I hope they add a tool that allows you to draw the button onto the screen like they do in Visual Studio and stuff.

Level 12
I agree on that just if we were able to place buttons all over the screen, imagine how much guessing and testing you would have to do in order to get the right position of the button. Might be just me but that would be extremely time consuming and a really long process. Sorta like using DGUI. I hope they add a tool that allows you to draw the button onto the screen like they do in Visual Studio and stuff.

Yea, it took me 11 hours to make an action bar using DGUI, to get the perfectly perfect place for the buttons. But also abit coding you know.

Level 12
They say it's fully customizable.
They just put it in the corner because they don't intend to fully show the UI, what they wanted to show there was their game. Think of an FPS.

Level 8
They say it's fully customizable.
They just put it in the corner because they don't intend to fully show the UI, what they wanted to show there was their game. Think of an FPS.

Yea, it took me 11 hours to make an action bar using DGUI, to get the perfectly perfect place for the buttons. But also abit coding you know.

Thats the problem though. Which is why I wud want a system that allows us to draw the buttons onto the screen and get their cordinates and sizes

Level 12
In-editor adjuster. Something simple, like selecting the region for it to display, and the buttonset for it to use (a bunch of textures in one folder, like the background, shading, edges, corners, etc)

Level 2
what features i would want to see is: built in model editor, all units from the first starcraft and the ability to edit everything.

1# not just a model editor but an animation editor, a spell making editor, an icon making editor, a skin editor, a voice and music editor. photoshop and gimp are fine but gimp doesn't convert to blp and not e veryone can afford photoshop
2# the ability to use items and buy from item shops
3# buy spells from a spell shop
4# dice magic resistance example 4% - 7% magic resistance
5# an easy way to code so spells can be reflected and made stronger
6# option to have agility, intelligence and strength heroes
7# option to have other classes besides agility, intelligence and strength
8# an easy way to make models and add attacks to them. For example where the attack is coming from. For example if I have a model I want to make that has a stun gun attack it should be easy to place on.
9# Fields that are easier to go through maybe have a GUI instead of the long list.
10# less lag with all the editors (RPG Maker can hold more material and it has 1000% less lag)
11# again a more user friendly editor
12# units/spells/animations/icons/items/ from warcraft 3, wow, diablo, and starcraft
13# more user friendly world creation (starcraft was ok, warcraft 3 was kind of annoying but was more advanced so maybe make it simple to use but more advanced than warcraft 3)
14# have it where doodads can reflect/block spells/attacks (this can be turned off or on by the map maker)
15# the ability to pick up units/certain doodads and throw/eat/swirl/carry/use as a shield/etc (if the unit/doodad is hit a certain amount of times chosen by the map maker it will be let go/destroyed)
16# the ability for your armor/magic resistance to be destroyed or lowered and it replenishes over time and this can be edited
17# the ability to make a super smash bothers type of map
18# the ability for items/abilities/triggers to effect a hero by their classification (agility/strength/intelligence)
19# the ability to make your own hero classifications and have them to be effected by triggers/abilities (a hero classification is like agility/strength/intelligence)
20# a lightsaber unit
21# find out what rpg maker xp did to have less lag while using the editor and intergrate it
22# random new units/icons/spells/items/doodads
23# the interface thingy in warcraft 3 that use see change depending on what race you are (the little mini screen where all the unit portrait/spells/units selected/commands are located well the ability to make one in the editor and change it to that. Also the ability to change that in game with triggers. )
#24 ability to change that in game
#25 a unit in a cloak, I'm thinkin anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi type of cloaks)
#26 instead of going into a art editor or changing the skin, the ability to just change the color of the clothing
#27 the ability to make a card game
#28 have a way to distinguish between auto-attack,passive,disabled,active
#29 look at the abilities/heroes/items/ suggestions on playdota, and dota-allstars and make it abilities like that
#29 make an ability editor, full functional ability editor where custom abilities can be made instead of using triggers to make abilities. The editing custom and pre-made abilities should have two forms. A simple editor where numbers and other quick changes can be made, who it effects, etc. And a indepth editor where how the spell works and what it does can be edited
#30 ability to turn it off or on where if two spells or attacks come together and meet in mid air they will disappear or hit nearby units instead of the target (Obviously, this wouldn't work on melee heroes or abilities that don't have missle animation for example, brain sap in dota.)
#31 Make a mortal kombat/tekken type of map
#32 A full functional animation editor (to edit attacks and spells)
#34 have it where you can add weather effects in certain areas or have it foggy.
#35 have a texas holdem/mtg/pokemon card type of game
#36 Less lag while using the world editor
#37 Creates a folder online that keeps tracks of online ranking etc for the specific custom map
#38 Can use time as damage choice between seconds and minutes
#39 can use cash as armor
#40 ability to make custom bnet material and post it online or wear it
#41 unit interface editor
#42 certain spells can destroy the ground/buildings (Creates fog and ground debree)/ etc
#43 the ability to say how long debree from buildings/ships/bodies/etc last short time/medium time/ long time/ forever
#44 the ability to have the map maker make multiple map terrains in a map so that a player can toggle between them with a command lets say an orpg map could have ten different terrains and you can change how the terrain looks with a command.

I know this is just for the galaxy editor but
Ability to have an ingame/bnet logo for a clan/personal and make it in the galaxy editor/gimp/photoshop/etc

overall just less lag while using the editor. I think it was the use of folders but rpg maker does a good job at eliminating lag/being user friendly
campaign editor wasn't bad on lag. I also like how you could simply make movies in starcraft 1, I never tried making a movie in world editor so i don't know much

will add more later

Last edited:
Level 19
1. Unit testing while editor is running, not only in-game. What I mean is, that when you place a unit, you can move it around to test pathing, animations, but not using spells.

2. Animation names when you are selecting a model for a unit/ability/etc. Meaning, when you are into the select window and you click onto a model, you see in a separate window what animations the model has.

3. Better terrain modifying tools, such as the height modifiers and definitely more than 2 types of cliffs per tileset.

4. More space for maps .. something between 10-20MB but not more.

5. Ability to save specific data from a map onto an separate online server and allow everyone to access it.

If I think of anythink else I will share it..

Level 12
Pretty sure that's exactly what he meant.
I believe Blizzard once stated they might do this. Can't find any proof, though.

Level 8
1. Unit testing while editor is running, not only in-game. What I mean is, that when you place a unit, you can move it around to test pathing, animations, but not using spells.

2. Animation names when you are selecting a model for a unit/ability/etc. Meaning, when you are into the select window and you click onto a model, you see in a separate window what animations the model has.

3. Better terrain modifying tools, such as the height modifiers and definitely more than 2 types of cliffs per tileset.

4. More space for maps .. something between 10-20MB but not more.

5. Ability to save specific data from a map onto an separate online server and allow everyone to access it.

If I think of anythink else I will share it..

1. We sorta have that. The difference in wc3 is that you have to try to place it and if the unit goes red, its unpathable. Also, the first video blizzard released of the galaxy editor showed different area's marked with a different color. They had one around each object in the map so you will be able to see pathability of units, doodads, etc.

2. Wc3 already gives that. If you look at the side of the editor were you can choose different objects to place and were you have a map, there is also a screen that shows the unit or destructable or doodad you are selecting. For units, you can play each animation and you can set the units facing in that screen to see what it would look like.

3. We have the raise/lower tool if that's what you mean by height modifiers and with JassNewGenPack you can have 16 tilesets and 4 cliffs so its a bit more than you think :p

4. If that was allowed, DL times would take like 20 minutes. And besides, Blizzard isn't making it more than 8 mb for now but instead, some of the filetypes reduce the sizes of the imported object. The M3 file(model) seems to do soo, the DDS one does too. I had a file that was like 1 mb or something but when converted to DDS it was 600 kb(approximatly).

5. Im not sure what you mean by this but Blizzard stated that they will try to allow linked maps and they also said that they will allow maps require others. So basically you have one map that requires another map because the map that it requires has some of the custom models in the first map. Therefore, decreasing size of the first map.

What I would love to see is a better import manager that allows us to import things much faster. This one is a long shot but a ingame tester. This would allow us to test separate triggers without having to run Starcraft 2 all the time and saving us a lot more time.

Level 9
4. If that was allowed, DL times would take like 20 minutes. And besides, Blizzard isn't making it more than 8 mb for now but instead, some of the filetypes reduce the sizes of the imported object. The M3 file(model) seems to do soo, the DDS one does too. I had a file that was like 1 mb or something but when converted to DDS it was 600 kb(approximatly).

Actually, everything seems to be server side for Blizzard; perhaps you will just upload your map to them and they will let people download from them. DL speeds would be reduced heavily in that case.

At least, everything seems to be running server side for them at this point, I guess we will see what happens.

Level 8
Will be nice that you won't have to make the host of a game wait for your download since you can download it from Blizzard before having to join someone else's game.

Even with Blizzard allowing ppl to download it without actually joining a game, Im sure a few people will join games to download them anyways. Thats not something you can stop.

Level 12
Except for the fact that you don't have to JOIN a game, per say, to download the map, what with the marketplace and all (which offers purchasing premiums as well as downloading frees)

Level 2
we know people from two different computers can edit a map so to suggest that you be able to edit a map online with an online friend.

Level 9
I want it so that if i set missle art to be a unit such as a zergling, it will go all ragdoll on them and flop around.

Level 9
the ability to create gigantic, galaxy sized maps.

Also, dynamic loading of data. So that if you have an ORPG with locked cams, the Engine will only load data when it comes in xx-range of the camera, the game should not freeze like it does in WC3 when a model is created for the first time in-game, but load it slowly using only a small amout of the CPU for this, so that it finish loading when the model comes inside the camera. Also unloading models which have not been used in a long time, would be nice, to save some DDR-Ram-- This would mean that ORPG's with epic size and hundreds of different models, would only take a few seconds to load.

I think this would only work for games where the cam is locked to a unit with regular movement speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.