• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What features would you like to see in Galaxy Editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
So far, the features that I'd like added are:

1. Passing locals to timers, like this example of passing local integer i to another function: call TimerStart(t, 1.2, function NextFunction(i))

2. Expanded Object Manager - being able to replace an ability with another ability with the click of a button. For instance, if you wanted to replace the Chain Lightning ability for all units that use it to Forked Lightning, you currently have to manually search every entry for the instance of Chain Lightning. Huge problem when you've got a lot of units referencing that ability.

Level 4
External code imports

So your map is one file, and your code is in other files/folders. And then you reference this code from within the map.(That way we can all use eclipse or a more simple text editor for editing galaxy)(Eclipse will be a good place for galaxy using XText).

Level 13
A better raise and lower thing for terraning and some new ways to use light and I mean like you play something there and it makes a certain shadow for you.

Level 22
An opportunity to change the texture of a model with triggers say if you want your hero to transform or change outfit and weaponery. Or change models with triggers. Also a night mode, where all becomes dark and not use some fog of war as night but i mean real night. Is there snow terrain?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I would want a way to make custom models easily like the Uberlisk with the spine crawlers on its back, except maybe with parts you can import like shoulders or helmets for terran.
The editor is going to be so advanced that you can even trigger that armor to fall off the unit when it's taken too much damage :)

Level 11
An opportunity to change the texture of a model with triggers say if you want your hero to transform or change outfit and weaponery. Or change models with triggers. Also a night mode, where all becomes dark and not use some fog of war as night but i mean real night. Is there snow terrain?

Wc3 can do night mode with just lighting to show units and terrain. However wc3's lighting system is absolutely horrible, so I would not recommend it. Sc2's lighting on the other hand is beautiful and completely dynamic!

Oh and I'd like it if there was a trigger debug system... but there already is one!!! Though it's functionality seems to still be somewhat incomplete, (As clicking on certain things crashes the game) it looks like it'll be easy as heck to find problems with triggers! (At least 1000x as easy as normal warcraft3 and 10x as easy as it was when grimorie's debug system worked)

Level 13
Maybe this really doesn't count as even WE just something I hope they have for bnet is to find certain games.

But I did find a knew thing I wanted in WE which is a Better camera system and I mean one like in a RPG type thing not the one video we saw with the ghost but a one where you can look around and the camera will pass certain through certain objects and stuff like ones in RPGs.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
one where you can look around and the camera will pass certain through certain objects and stuff like ones in RPGs.
If they don't imbed a native system that does this, hopefully you'll be able to do something like "change occlusion of objects within X of camera source" to make walls and the like opaque

Level 22
So I looked through the MPQ and even the Beta MPQ has Lava and lava terrain and yet they didnt make a single map (Grrr).

Is there a snow terrain at all?? For sure that one isnt in MPQ (checked). And Ive never seen snow terrain - Note, dont confuse with Desert Oasis that is more like moon white dust, not snow.

Level 9
I have a list actually:
The option to include units with dice damage like in Warcraft, instead of just 10 damage flat, you can do 10 - 12, or 1 - 100, etc.
The option to make armor like in Warcraft 3, for example it reduces damage in % rather than flat reduction.
The option to have dice armor, yeah stfu I rather like the idea of having 1 - 3 armor, sometimes when your hit you get the 1 armor defense, other times you get the 3.
The option to mix and match sound sets, and create entirely new ones from existing sounds, for example using some Marine and Marauder voices, being able to add them to a sound set called Marinder, and being able to give units that custom soundset and have them use it in game.
A model and icon editor included, YES, no more need for downloadable tools, all right there, in the editor.
No movement speed cap, pretty basic, but this is important, I don't want my damn speed capped like in warcraft at 400 or 522 or some BS #, IF I WANT A UNIT TO DART ACROSS A HUGE MAP IN A MILISECOND THEN IT BETTER BE ABLE TO DO IT.
The ability to make anything into anything, for example if I want a tank to act as a tree then it can, instead of showing up as a colored cube in the friggin editor, saying my path is invalid or something.
A projectile system that allows for the chance of a missile or bullet to keep going in a linear fashion until it hits something, for example, if my archer fires an arrow at a unit, it won't home in on it, and it wont simply hit the ground if it misses when the unit dodges it, IT KEEPS GOING UNTIL IT HITS AND DAMAGES SOMETHING or gravity takes it down.
The option to add more types of damage, and more types of armor, for example I don't want Siege, Magic, Normal, Hero and so on only, and I'm left with them to mess with, I wanna be able to make new ones.
The option to include more umm, point systems on a unit easily, for example, mana, shield, and hit points are nice, but what if its not enough? I want to be able to add 4th 5th and so on to that.
The option to add more build tabs, for example I don't want to be left with just Buildings and Advanced buildings, what if I have more in mind? Super Advanced, Hyper Advanced, Advanced Advanced, etc.
The option to have more than 1 type of armor on a single unit, for example you have a Peasant, all he has is Medium armor, what if I want him to have 1 Medium Armor, 3 Heavy Armor, and -2 Unarmored? Don't say its useless I want that in there, I dont care if its useless, I'd like to see it!
The option to extend the build que, like with the Terran Reactors, they extend it up to 8 and allow the extra unit to be built at the same time as the regular one, making 2 units pop out, and on that note, the option to make as many units as you want be able to build simultaenously from a single factory type building, likewise with upgrades.
The option to remove the leesh on Larvae having to stay so close to the hatchery, I wanna be able to move them away and make em hatch in a different place, though this will probably be easily included anyway.
The option to make Terra Tron, Zerg Zord, and Proto Prime. (can you guess what I mean?)
The option to make units have different variations of interceptor movements, you know flying around and shooting enemy units in a swarmings fashion, except different variations and such, different times of retreat, fire, and spread.
The option to be able to include more resources, what if I have to have more than just minerals and gas? What if I want to make Dirt a resource to add some idiocy to my map? I want to be able to implement that with the editor.

Level 12
A hero checkmark. And multiple checkmarks. And upon checking one, you get new stats and variables specific to that type of unit. And you can choose MORE THAN ONE.
Oh, and less lag pasting units in the Object editor.
And that's just the object editor.
Triggers? Well, everyone knows we need so much more of that, and they plan to make everything in raw coding (Galaxy) possible with GUI, so, awesome.
An item/hero system (I know we have a hero system, but Blizzard never mentioned anything about items!).
A better terrain editor (This isn't even funny.)

Basically what I'm looking for is a cross of the World Editor, the DoW2 Editor, and a lot of C.

So I looked through the MPQ and even the Beta MPQ has Lava and lava terrain and yet they didnt make a single map (Grrr).

Is there a snow terrain at all?? For sure that one isnt in MPQ (checked). And Ive never seen snow terrain - Note, dont confuse with Desert Oasis that is more like moon white dust, not snow.

Niflheim. Take a look at my terrain list (And soon to be chart.)

Level 22
- A % chance to happen to be available without having to use triggers when making custom abilities

I just remembered what war3 really lacked and it is environmental:

- Whenever it is raining, the map should start dry and in later game some puddles and water form all over the ground
- Whenever it is snowing - the ground to gradually cover in snow

Level 12
So true, and effects can happen naturally with a checkmark (Natural meaning, rain rarely in a desert, and snow not at all) and that they interact (if it's raining and then sunny, you might see a rainbow, but more likely puddles will dry faster than normal) and of course, no environments on a platform unless specifically instructed by triggers (In case say, the map is of a crazy scientist who made artificial elements). That'd be awesome.

Level 9
I'd like maps to have completely free UI, like removing EVERYTHING so the screen is all clear, and then add some elements like a life-bar in the middle of the screen and such.

Also, what would be the most awesome thing ever, is if Blizzard made connections to Web-Services possible! That would truly be amazing. I know they talked about maps being able to bind data to a users battle.net account, but I'm just used to SQL, and the possibilities would be endless that way.

Level 12
Web services via their application, maybe.

The UI can do that, just look at their FPS Nova game. They mention when they're underground that the UI is totally flexible, and you can make your own, place your buttons, ETC.

Level 3
THE ABILITY TO MAKE A UNIT EXPLODE!!!!!...

No but seriously, I hope you can pass units through timers or have waits in milliseconds like starcraft 1. (it makes me angry since I can't use jass newgen)

I also hope that you can add different "effects" in an ability so that you don't have to trigger it all the time and can only change the things the ability can do.

It would also be nice to have a "help" tab so that you can see what each function does(non GUI)

And the ability to make a unit explode...

Level 11
hiho,

i would love a feature which allows to create an own object editor arrangement
so that you not only have those standart cathegories but your specifics for your personal maps. =)

for example:
Heroes
Dummyunits
Questunits
Computer AI
Enemies
etc...

Robbepop

1. all the models, and object data from warcraft 3
2. all of the units, and object data from starcraft
3. ability, to not have to download imported resources, if said resources are on the computer, (including in another map)
4. ability to EASILY store, and refrence variables attached to a specific unit
5. Ability to store up to ~10 KB per map, per player, on the server, to save stuff with (pretty sure there allowing this?)
6. ability to modify a model within the editor, reflecting the size of the changes, rather than the size of the model. It would save the actions preformed by the model editor, and apply them after download, greatly reducing required models, if you want to do 1-2 minor edits
7. ability to apply multiple textures to the same model.
8. ability to change any/all object data ingame with triggers.
9. ability to load into games that have already started (for those rpgs)
10. ability to send/recieve data from somewhere on the bnet server (imagine an mmorpg :)

and so much more we can only hopefor

UPDATE:

11. Direct access to all the code behind every system in the game
12. Direct access to the code behind every ability
13. Ability to automatically Convert a warcraft 3 map, into a starcraft 2 one, preserving everything. (never gonna happen :)
14. Ability to modify textures in-game, storeing their changes, rather than their files (unless the changes end up being larger than the file itself)

Last edited:
Level 3
i would want this in galaxy editor
A better custom AI system
A way to make units have items like Wc3 heroes
Custom shaped Regions (Not all rectangles)
Spherical maps?
Night and Day Clock
An option to add more Stats (life and energy) so you could have like ammo or something
A way to make an ability that holds ability's (like the spellbook in Wc3

Level 9
Since Starcraft 2 uses 3D units and Starcraft uses 2D units, wont this be impossible?

lol :p Yeah, It would be imposible to import them directly, but I'm sure with use of some planes this could be achieved. Anyway, I think he just mean the unit type, not exact "model" from StarCraft I. Many units have been left out of SC2, and some new ones have arrived. I guess this guy want to remake StarCraft I in StarCraft II like so many others :)

EDIT: 13. Ability to automatically Convert a warcraft 3 map, into a starcraft 2 one, preserving everything. (never gonna happen :)

I think you might be able to export your height-map, but since the triggers is in a totally new language, I doubt the rest will be possible :p

hmmm where to begin. . .

1. able to layer terrains (so you can make proper buildings not the rooms spreaded out everywere all over the map)
2. Make it possible for anything to come out of the ground ((you may or may not know what I'm on about)
3. To be able to make perminent tunnels midgame (so you could dig underground tunnels then actually go into them as if they were there all along)
4. Be able to combine differant object data spells so like posion and cluster rockets to make poison rockets
5. Manipulate non-dummy unit sfx with triggers

I'll leave it at that for the moment.

@ AI distablizer Oo, sounds like a skill maybe?, a little to inspecific, and sounds pretty easy to code

@ importin a warcraft 3 map, this would only be possible, if the pre-mentioned all models/ and data from wc3 were included in scs mpq..

@ include all starcraft units, Yes some models would have to be made.. but including a copy of the origional melee, in the game isnt all that unreasonable XD, concidering all the hard parts are done for those units (balance, tech tree)
and if they were really lazy, they could talk with the people of project revolution XD and just use their models (although not as good as scratch modeling by blizzard, which would be best suggestion)

Pretty much, I'm mainly refering to the fact that wc3 units can't actually go half underground half above ground so if I want a projectile to come from the ground it would actually comeout of the ground rather than appear above ground suddenly (if u grab a missile modelled dummy unit and try to put it's fly height to '-' numbers with triggering it just hovers above ground and never goes actually into the floor which I want :p)

Level 12
I want this:
Acess to detecting keyboard and mouse clicks/scroll. GetScrollDistance(), IsButtonHolded(button b). This way it will be much easier to make WASD movement, spacebar jump and alot of other good keyboard detections. Like opening minimap on M.
I would also like galaxy to be OOP if it isn't.

Level 9
Connection to a web service, and the ability to ensure that your map cannot be modified take the cake for me. I dont care if my work is modified, but if it can connect to my website where I am storing stats, I don't want some idiot modifying my map and giving false stats to my server.

Level 9
Just remembered, I'd like to see a function in the Data editor to allow a units full damage be dealt in combat and none of it being wasted. For example, lets say I have a Marine thats edited and does 100 damage instead of 6, and you have 3 Zerglings together coming at him, and when the Marine fires the full 100 damage is dealt, killing 2 zerglings and reducing the third ones health to 5. Ofcourse there has to be some parameters if this is implemented such as the method the attack will be transferred via bounce or pierce and a radius for how close another enemy unit must be for this to take effect. Just something I'd like to see considering some of the potential damage I've seen wasted on a really low health unit before.

Level 4
  • Motion-path animation. I want to be able to draw a cuve, and have special effects, units, cameras, etc move along the path.
  • Special effect previewing improved. When I look at a visual effect model, I want to hear the sounds, see terrain deformations (like what Warstomp does), everything, and have better previewing controls.
  • ASDW+mouse camera control option in the GE (also called first person control, or tilt/pan/dolly). World Editor camera is target-fixed: when you rotate the camera, it rotates around a target, rather than tilting a fixed-position camera source.
  • Importing terrain from image files as a starting point for manual terrain editing. SimCity 4 had this capability. Color values in the image are translated to terrain heights. Using a third-party terrain generation tool to create the heightmap (these are available on the internet), highly realistic and natural looking terrain could be created in seconds, rather than hours.
  • GUI to edit the game interface, with ways to select parts of the interface and edit, move, or export the components, or import new images.
Other things would probably have more to do with the galaxy programming language underlying the editor... these are some wish-list features I have for the GE itself, though I doubt even 1 of them will be in the GE.

Last edited:
Level 12
Pretty much, I'm mainly refering to the fact that wc3 units can't actually go half underground half above ground so if I want a projectile to come from the ground it would actually comeout of the ground rather than appear above ground suddenly (if u grab a missile modelled dummy unit and try to put it's fly height to '-' numbers with triggering it just hovers above ground and never goes actually into the floor which I want :p)

I'm thinking sunken colony rape.

Actually, you could also not use a missle, and use the missle target artwork as something coming out of the ground and then going back down... Never tested it but it should work

Level 12
Specify whether a unit can attack, if they're a hero, etc. Can't do that in the WE; have to CnP a unit already like that and mod it.

Oh, and detecting object collision.

Level 9
  • Motion-path animation. I want to be able to draw a cuve, and have special effects, units, cameras, etc move along the path.
  • Special effect previewing improved. When I look at a visual effect model, I want to hear the sounds, see terrain deformations (like what Warstomp does), everything, and have better previewing controls.

Those two ideas, mainly the first, are the best suggestions for a feature I have so far heard, if Blizzard hasn't done so, they should be requested for features like that.

Level 1
Things I would like Blizzard to integrate into or have for the Galaxy Editor:

• Galaxy Editor Plug-in API - This would allow modder to create addons for the editor.

When you wanted to change how the World Editor parsed JASS code, you had to hack the World Editor. Since the Galaxy language will not be object oriented, it would be nice of Blizzard to allow modders to change how scripts are parsed. In essence, allow modders to create an object oriented Galaxy.

• Pointers and Reference or some pseudo-equivalent - faster scripts, more efficient sorting algorithm, more callback control, the list goes on and on.

• Cliff API - So modders can create terrain dynamically.

• GUI API - I heard, implicitly, that Blizzard is going to add this. So we shall see if Blizzard has any foresight.

• Bitwise operations - Not the biggest deal, but it would be nice for a faster and more efficient encryption and decryption.

• Sturdier handle ID assigner - Although rare, the World Editor would assign the same handle ID twice to different objects. This handle ID corruption was particularity catastrophic to large systems and impossible to diagnose.

The corruption probably had to do something with the use of the TriggerSleepActions(), DestroyTrigger(), or gamecache with the H2I bug.

• Custom array size - The World Editor editor didn't allow modders to define an array size; it was always a fixed 8192. The fixed size was restrictive and questionably efficient.

• Dynamic memory - hehe, Blizzard probably won't implement this. Although, it's useful for reducing map size as well as implementing certain systems/algorithm.

• function and operator overloading - easier name management or script management in general

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.