• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What computer language(s) should I learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
OK, I don't know (remember) if I posted like this before but I need suggestions
coz I want to learn 1 or 2 programming language, this desire of mine is heavily
inspired by WC3 Jass...

Pls include also 'WHY' should I pick that language...

If you dont mind, pls include your level of programming experience from 1-100%
and why do you like to program...

I have a 5% knowledge on Visual Basic but some say Java or C++ is better...
I want to program coz I like computers very much and want to make applications
that I can think of like games and computer tools...

Level 27
Ruby is great. The only place I find it really lacking in is binary. In that case, use C. C is not a low level language. C is not C++.

Try giving Go a shot, and if that doesn't work, jump into Ruby.

Level 24
Python!

In any thread asking what language to learn, someone always says Python. Today, that person is me. Tomorrow, it could be you! [/endinspiration]

But seriously, for small-scale application/game development Python is great. It's a joy to program, and you can focus on the actual fun part of programming as opposed to the morass of syntactical pit-traps and tricks which is C/++.

This being said, I hear Ruby is pretty great too.

Level 12
Actionscript 3.0, the language of Flash games.

Although loads of games/animations/interactive interfaces use Actionscript 3.0 there's nothing wrong with using 2.0.

To some it may be boring or tough, but to others it's a passion or breeze. So mostly, it's just how you approach the learning part itself.

Level 6
What exactly are you looking to do with the programming knowledge?

Regardless, I'd recommend C++/C#/Java, since they're all somewhat similar, so learning one makes learning the others easy.
Personally, I'd say
C++

You can always Google these things too. There you can find a neutral comparison.

Level 3
Going for the hardest like C++ is a very bad idea, i'd recommend C/Python/Vb Or Java
Best off is to start related, As going for C and then C++

Level 27
Look, don't do Java.

Do you hate bureaucracy, red tape, not being able to do anything without filling out ten pages, in triplicate, and guessing which office to send them to? Hoping the secretary doesn't misplace it? Wishing there was some way forward? But there isn't?

Then stay the hell away from Java.

Level 20
Look, don't do Java.

Do you hate bureaucracy, red tape, not being able to do anything without filling out ten pages, in triplicate, and guessing which office to send them to? Hoping the secretary doesn't misplace it? Wishing there was some way forward? But there isn't?

Then stay the hell away from Java.

This is actually true. You should still learn it, though... eventually. C is just so fundamental that I think it should be one of the first you learn. Python and Ruby would definitely be easier to start with.

If you start out with the hard ones, the easy ones like Python and Ruby would be a piece of cake.
If you're up for it, read on BASIC and COBOL like I did. It makes you appreciate the simpler things in life :v

Most people say C++ is the hardest, but don't let that statement fool you, it's only the hardest because the others are too easy ;P
The basics of C++ are very simple and can be mastered in a week or 2 (assuming you have the knowledge).

Level 24
Also in the concept of "once you learn C++/C, Python/Ruby will be easy", also applies the other way. Once you learn Python/Ruby C++/C will be easy.

This doesn't mean that you can expect to master either of this languages in a brief amount of time, even after learning another language first. But you can achieve a moderate level of knowledge in almost any language if you know how to program another.

Python and Ruby are easier to start because they have less syntactical loopholes, and are by and large more forgiving allowing you to focus on the ideas behind the programming, versus other crap.

Level 27
I dunno, I read an assembly book very early on. It was outdated as hell and virtually useless in a modern world, but it was helpful nonetheless.

...Seriously it's not worth it unless you really want to know how computers work. :V

Level 17
Java isn't a bad idea, if you've never programmed before it's pretty easy and object oriented programming will help build good coding habits especially if you work on group projects where your code needs to be a bit legible to others.

otherwise I'd recommend C++, just because it has a huge application of uses

Level 3
Java isn't a bad idea, if you've never programmed before it's pretty easy and object oriented programming will help build good coding habits especially if you work on group projects where your code needs to be a bit legible to others.

otherwise I'd recommend C++, just because it has a huge application of uses

I've programmed Java, and it's a pain in the ass sometimes, I don't recommend it, i was young when i did it however, i was writing scripts for a bot created for a java game.

Status
Not open for further replies.