• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What can crash the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Howdy! I was playing a map I created on LAN with 3 players when all of the sudden all three of us got a Wc3 fatal error! So something in the map made the game go boo-hoo. Now, this has happened only once so far, but naturally, one can't have this in a map. Can someone tell me which functions are known to cause this, or similar crashes? Would be a good way to start. If I can't fix it that way I might consider posting the map here. Any ideas?

Level 8
The first and foremost cause of game crashes is corrupt models. Models that are built incorrectly can, I believe, crash the map.

Next is improper use of the ability to add in raw data in the Object editor. Try to avoid SHIFT+CLICKing on object editor data.

Those two are the only two that I can remember atm.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Impropper use of the one execute native (entering a function name that does not exist) wil lresult in a fatal error.

Also WC3 failing to displace a unit properly if it was moved via triggers into a nonpathable zone will result in a crash.

Also impropper use of the metomorphisis spell to convert units into heroes and heroes into units will also result in a crash.

Also bad use of the chaos ability I heard will also cause problems like crashes.

Starting a timer with negitive duration I believe will also cause a crash.

Getting trigger action / timer to preform an invalid function or making a condition from an invalid function will also result in a crash.

Curropt or damaged import material is also known to cause ingame crashes.

Having too many models on the screen at once after causing the texture clamp to start fail will also result in a crash.

Moving a unit to the exact same location it currently is will also cause a crash.

Some forms of infinate loops will also cause crashes (after a lot of lag for a few seconds).

Thats the most usual ones I can think off ofhand.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
abilities that summon TONS of units at once cause lag, and then if another player does another summon it crashes some times, (Footmen crashed for me once)

Thats the unit displacement crash I told you of, if too many units are made at the same position or a unit is put in an odd place that it fails to see how to displace it, it crashes the game.

Level 9
Don't worry Just_Spectating, I can understand Dr Super Good just fine :p Thanks for your replies; though I've checked and none of the above occurs in my map! I'm going to do a bit more extensive testing to see what goes wrong, but it's strange, to say the least.

Level 19
I know those

- Wrong ExecuteFunc calls
- Calling for non existing players (example: Player(16))
- Corrupted models
- Corrupted lightning effects
- Moving unit far from map

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
- Moving unit far from map
Again thats the displacement crash, as it fails to displace them properly and will result in a crash.
It can occure even when moved off map by small distance or moved into a pathing blocked area anywhere on map, but it results in the same type of crash. You can also move units off map edge by a lot and it will not crash, it seems something to do with how WC3 displaces units and on some cordinates it fails to preform it correctly. Displacement crashes are the most common type of crash as it can happen even with triggers that normally work fine.

everyonce in a while theirs just a wierd bug u gotta except, most maps ive played have had a crit sometime or another (swat, foots, havnt had one in dota, but only played 4x) but im sure there is some wierd circumstance that will crash dota.., sometimes its a terrain error, ive had problems with certain terrains i made then when i smoothed them and remade them they was fine (no custom mdls) So if it only happens once all you can do is either go back to a ver b4 the crash, or wait for the crash to occor again and find comonalitys.. With a 1 time error id just forgetabout it.

Level 19
Ah I remembered one more thing
Unlimited looping triggers
Example:
Unit enters R1
move it to center of R2
unit enters R2
move it to center of R1

Status
Not open for further replies.