• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What are these animation names? +4 rep to all helpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
Hello and thank you for reading my thread!

I'm currently working on a project with a lot of spells based on Channel. I wish to play animations for these spells by editing the object editor data field "Art - Animation Names". My problem is that the animation name shown in the preview screen while selecting my casting unit isn't the same one used inside the actual model - so when I enter the animation name that I see in the preview that I want for the spell inside "Art - Animation Names" my casting unit wont the animation at all.

Animation Names2.png

Animation Names.png

I need help mapping out the different animation names for the model I use as my casting unit. It would mean a lot to me if anyone would be so kind as to help me with this.

The most impartant animation names for me to get have the animation index:

This is the model that I use for my casting unit
Villager

+4 rep to all helpers!
Thank you for reading!

EDIT: Added this cat for extra request power!
cute-kittens-29-57b30ad229af3__605.jpg

Last edited:

Sverkerman

Level 17
@PrinceYaser Hey bro!
You set the name for example "Attach Channel" and the spell doesn't perform the animation for model??
This exactly.

Appearently there are TWO names of each animation. One in the preview window as shown in my picture - This one cannot be used to trigger the animation.
And one which you can see when viewing the model in any model editing program - This one will always trigger the animation.

I need the "real" name of the animations which can be used to trigger the animation via the Object Editor.

I need the "real" name of the animations which can be used to trigger the animation via the Object Editor.
Hi, man!
Well, I think these are the main names of animations than can be used for spells:

-Attack (Attack 1, Attack 2, etc)
-Spell
-Spell Slam
-Stand Channel
-Attack Slam (I'm not sure of this one)

However, you use a villager model that has 40 animations!!

Edit: Ah, I think I got it! You should set the "attack" and "channel" separated in two strings. Like this picture:

01-jpg.284354

Last edited:
@PrinceYaser That might be it!! I'll try it once I get home! Thank you again for all your help, you really deserve some +rep but I believe I need to spread some before I can give it to you again :p
Once again, thank you so much for the help!
You're welcome, mate! There is no need for +rep. I was just helping you. ;D

Sverkerman

Level 17
@Dat-C3 Hello and thank you for replying to my thread!
Currently I am using this for all of the spells in my map:

Pause udg_MyUnit
Play Animation By Index for udg_MyUnit
Unpause udg_MyUnit

The problem that I've encountered with this method is that if I am ordering udg_MyUnit unit to cast Spell1 and before he is done casting the spell I get ready to order him to cast Spell2 (I've pressed the Spell2's button and I am in a unit/area/point selection state) the pause action cancels out the selection of Spell2.
If I don't pause the unit he wont play the animation correctly. My animation will start but be overwritten by an attack animation.

So I thought removing the code and doing it through object editor would be a good workaround, however the animation names wont work! :D Help me! :p

Level 19
@TheLordOfChaos201 Hello and thank you for replying to my thread!
When saying do you mean in the object editor under Animation Name? And how did you find this out? :D
sorry didn't actually read your problem but now that I understand it my answer isn't actually wrong

in the triggers there is a function that lets you see what animation your unit is currently performing

if you want the unit to just channel constantly then you use

spell attack 1, loop

but for your question you will have to find out how I created a means of finding out what animation is playing... sadly I can not simply tell you that answer because I have long since forgotten it.

play around either the animations, you might be able to figure it out yourself... then you can award those points to yourself too:D

Sverkerman

Level 17
@TheLordOfChaos201 Thank you for trying, but this doesn't really solve my problem. My problem is that my unit wont play his animation when I put the correct string shown in the preview of that unit inside the Art - Animation section of the Channel ability. My conclusion to this was that (and I believe that I read this somewhere) there are two strings associated with each animation, and that I was entering the wrong one.

@TheLordOfChaos201
@Dat-C3
@PrinceYaser
You've all been so nice trying to help me! So here is some rep :)
Altho, my problem still stands, could someone please help me? ;)

Level 19
@TheLordOfChaos201 Thank you for trying, but this doesn't really solve my problem. My problem is that my unit wont play his animation when I put the correct string shown in the preview of that unit inside the Art - Animation section of the Channel ability. My conclusion to this was that (and I believe that I read this somewhere) there are two strings associated with each animation, and that I was entering the wrong one.

@TheLordOfChaos201
@Dat-C3
@PrinceYaser
You've all been so nice trying to help me! So here is some rep :)
Altho, my problem still stands, could someone please help me? ;)
yes that is correct

the animation strings are not actually named properly. if you want to find the correct strings you need to go to the spell cast and find out what string the use to perform it.

it will be at the top of the list of information in the spell edit area

I wish I could show you a picture to help but my computer is broken:(

good luck

Sverkerman

Level 17
@Dat-C3
What does that mean and why would it prevent a dummy unit?
This:
The problem that I've encountered with this method is that if I am ordering udg_MyUnit unit to cast Spell1 and before he is done casting the spell I get ready to order him to cast Spell2 (I've pressed the Spell2's button and I am in a unit/area/point selection state) the pause action cancels out the selection of Spell2.
But instead of pause we hide. Hiding will also cancel the selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.