• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What are Buffs and Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I just want to know what are buff's and effects?
I tried making a custom buff.
The buff seem to have no use and does not do anything.
I am confused about what the buff is and what effect is.
Thanks to anyone who helps me clear up my confusion.

Level 19
we have a option called dummy caster that casts an ability to a unit
Dummy unit is an invisible(non modelled) unit with locust and invulnurable ability (set model to ".mdl" this makes it invisible)
Dummies work with triggers
Get help from tutorials for learning more about dummy units

This Trigger Creates a dummy unit to cast frost nova to a unit that enters a region (you can use this for slowing)
Requirements:
An unmodelled Dummy unit with "Locust", "Invulnurable (Neutral)" and "Frost Nova (Neutral Hostile)" abilities (modify frost nova to make mana cost 0 so dummy can cast it and set damage to 0 if you only want to slow)

• Dummy Unit
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters <Location You Want>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 <Your Dummy Unit> for Neutral Hostile at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Lich - Frost Nova (Triggering unit)
Anyway this trigger will cause leak(lag) if you use it too much you may learn how to reduce leaks in further times of your trigger training

And a tip: There is no Unit - Add Buff trigger or something like that. This is the best and eaisiest way I guess it gets easier if you do it with JASS also

Last edited:
Level 3
Buff Possiblities

It's true what they're saying - buffs don't do anything, and they are just placeholders. But if you are making custom abilities, it can be very useful to keep tight control of your buffs, because you can assign triggers to check for them.

For instance, this is a neat little combo I've used in the past:

Let's say you're making an RPG and you want the character to be able to sleep to regain health and mana (there are MANY ways to simulate this... but read on). One way is to make a copy of the standard sleep spell, and modify it so that it can only be cast on allies. Give the spell to a building or something where the hero can rest - let's say a tent. Then create a custom buff that the ability can put on the target (In my map, I called it "Resting"). (Note that sleep actually adds 3 buffs - the "stun" and "pause" buffs don't need to be changed, I just replaced the "sleep" with "resting") Now you can create a trigger:

-Every 1 second
-set RestGrp = all units matching condition: (boolean) matching unit has buff "resting"
-pick all units in RestGrp,
-set life of picked = life of picked + 10
-set mana of picked = mana of picked + 10
-destroy RestGrp

Obviously, that is just a shorthand ver of the trigger - you gotta be careful of memory leaks, but there are many in-depth tutorials on that on this fine, fine website.

But the point is, now you have a sleep spell that also heals the target! The normal sleep spell still works normally because it assigns a different buff.

By paying attention to your buffs, you can use triggers to add additional effects to established spells. The sky's really the limit...

Level 19
You don't need to add Invulnerable to units with Locust, Need_O2.

Sure I know that already you cant select a non modelled unit with draging or clicking :) but theres nothing wrong with adding locust

good part of locust is it allows you to select modelled units too
like making scaled special effects (you can use doodas for this too but I like to use units anyway)

Level 19
Ups :D my bad and I know that too
But the tutorial I readed about dummies (it was the worst tutorial Ive ever seen) was telling us to add locust invulnurable and make model none

Anyway we cant attack the locusts in carrion swarm already

The question here is:
Then why did you tell him to add Invulnurable to dummy ?
Answer is:
I dont know :/

Level 24
so how do i make the unit with a buff get affected by the ability?

Abilities that have effects over (deal damage, raise defense, etc.) time create buffs, not the other way around. However, if you remove a buff, you also remove any non-triggered effect that the buff was showing to be in effect.

Level 3
so are using abilities the only way to give buffs? How about passive abilities?Are there any passive abilities which gives buffs? Or probably you can add buffs some other way?

Level 3
I am talking about adding the {dispplay light around unit} and the buff that you can see at the unit's status in game and also the buff that the conditions can check for.

Level 3
use an aura then auras always give buff
You can check ability level of an unit too

Need_O2 had a good idea
a 0-range aura will provide you the 3 elements you want : 3D graphic effect, status icon, and a way to check it.

The aura thing worked! Thanks Yoshiryu and Need_O2
but i couldnt find that check ability level of an unit thing, is it a condition?

Level 19
and boolean comarison "unit - unit has specify"(or whatever it is) buff xD
and if level ability of unit is more then 0 the unit has ability
I use dummy abilities as custom booleans but they say it leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.