• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What am I doing wrong with my Animation Transfer attempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I am trying to transfer animation, first from an Owl Bear to the Goblin Shredder (just to test), it didn't work so I thought ok, I'll try from Goblin Shredder to Goblin Shredder, what I did was rename the animation of Attack to Attack 2, and then Save As.

In the Anim Transfer I used the original model, take the Save As'd model, and told it to transfer 1 animation and chose Attack 2 (hoping it will result in the model having 2 identical attack animations) , and saved to a new model.

When I open the new model the damn animation doesn't work. He just stands there like some idiot. I am so annoyed.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/3d-modeling-tutorials-282/basic-animation-transfers-31703/

Check out the posts in the thread (mostly Kitabatake's). e.g.:
That is because Anim transfer screws up the model when only one animation is transferred. And magos model editor can only open somewhat perfect models.

BUT you can still fix it.

• Get yobguls converter here
  • Convert the .mdl model that gives the error into .mdx with the converter
  • Try to open the .mdx model with magos

Without this converter the transfer of a single animation will always fail.
With this converter the transfer of a single animation will sometimes fail.

meaning: sometimes the model will not work even if you try to convert it to .mdx
Then you should try renaming the bones or getting the animations from another model.

And:
If you do what I said, you have a better chance to succeed, but there are certain unit's whose animations just don't match because of different bone names.

Also some times the problem can be that the bones have same names, but in the other model they are helpers instead of bones.
Then you can open the model (.mdl) in a notepad (before transferring animations) and replacing every "helper" word with "bone", except the very first one which is "number of helpers".

Then you'll just have to change the number of helpers to 0 and number of bones to number of bones + number of helpers.

But even this doesn't work with ALL models.

Now, I assume the first problem might not relate to you if you got it to open in Magos just fine. As for the second one, it is certainly something to keep in mind. Not all models are eligible for transfers--only ones with similar bones as each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.