• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What about my 700 substandard models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have never heard of it, between about 2007 and 2015 I worked on an altered melee mod called Heaven's Fall that is available in various forms in this site.
It started as a mod that some friends made with Naga, Forsaken, Draenei, High Elves, and tinted orange Chaos orcs with spiked carapace called Zear. They gave me permission to update their work and I started making custom models for it and remaking the techtrees until a huge bulk of the units and buildings all had custom models, and the only techtree remaining from the original build was the Zear.

The years of work making the models were made largely without communicating with "the Warcraft III community". I did what I did for the real life friends who surrounded me and not for the internet. As a result, I never downloaded Magos until maybe 2012, instead using notepad and oinkerwinkle tools that a friend had given me on a flash drive or something.

In 2012 I learned how to do programming so to help me to complete this mod, I began the project that later became Retera Model Studio with the intention of improving my modding toolset.

This was all done because when Heaven's Fall was first created, my friend group had stuck about 15 custom models into the race mod they'd been working on, but they didn't give credits.
As the project progressed more and more, we didn't like that we had user assets without credits and so instead of giving credit by finding author information, we opted to have me remake all of the models that had this issue. So it wasn't until maybe 2013 or 2014 that I modified this plan and started crediting and including work from people I had really interacted with and chatted with online like Spellbound and Hayate. And at that point there were already 6 races of custom models, almost entirely authored by me.

So, it occurred to me that even though I started uploading some of these models in maybe 2017, I'm sitting on a bundle of many custom models (geomerges, derivatives of Blizzard work) that can be found in obscure locations with MPQ editors but that are not really generally available through the Hive. And all of them are easy to cite because I myself made them all, albeit some of them 10 years ago.

Probably half of the group of models that I did attempt to upload are tagged as substandard. What makes sense to me to have as a model is for some people simply a reskin.

But I noticed that when models did trickle out of what I had created, even when I went public and posted Heavens Fall as an MPQ in maybe 2011 or 2012, derivative works popped up in the community. 2012 era versions of Kam's Beyond the Throne had a reskinned version of the Heaven's Fall Necropolis that has uproot animations to fly. Maxwell had an altered melee mod with a bunch of cthulu tentacle Old Gods style units, and one of the buildings had the arms and tentacles from the Heaven's Fall Maw of Oblivion hero, and I was able to confirm again through deep analysis and bone names that the new cool model in that mod was again a derivative work of the Heavens Fall model, which was itself a derivative work of the original Blizzard model of the forgotten one.

There are other examples like this. Users have been able to find models that I made and create cool derivative works when they know where to look.

But it occurred to me that the future of Heaven's Fall at this point must by necessity become derivative works of Reforged models, so even if I wanted to be selfish and horde most of my models only in my own MPQs, the older classic SD style models probably should be published in a way that gives users easy access.

So, I'm asking here in Site Discussion because, if I want to tackle uploading all the models that I made over the years, I would be likely to be dumping models that were "substandard" stuff 2 out of 3 times but that are near and dear to my heart as useful elements.
Sometimes that might include stuff like this boring hut with a birth animation:
Draenei Hut

I basically started doing that upload process with Draenei ("Lost Tribe" in HF) and Naga ("Enlightened Tide" in HF) building models and you can see those on my profile.

But I'm curious about the site policy if, for example, I were to upload the other 4 races of unuploaded content from my mod. 10 or 11 Zear models that are reskinned Chaos Orcs with alternate animations where they sprout spikes from their skin, or the high elven archer riding on the hippgryph, or the skeletal marksman with a goofy hat on.

Is it in any way against policy to bulk upload a decade of geomerge programmer-art modeling work as individual models?
I got into trouble last time with models like the Spitting Snap Dragon which was, by this site's accurate definition, only a skin:
Spitting Snap Dragon

In my files, this model was yet-another-MDX out of hundreds and so it was natural to me to just click upload to the models section without thinking.

Other users told me that I should upload this kind of bulk content as a bundle and not as separate models. To that end, a snapshot of Heaven's Fall assets in maybe 2012 was uploaded to Kam's old resources bundles page:
Projects of old, gather ye' resources... [Mod Compendium]
But when I uploaded these models to the Hive as individual files after some model artist told me I am nothing and have no resources on the Hive or something, I actually got very meaningful and interesting feedback followed by users complaining about my model texture paths meaning that putting these models in the resource section probably caused users to actually attempt to use them more frequently.
So, I'm just interested on what is easiest for others to use and what would be the right approach if I want to dump a hundred or more derivatives of Blizzard artwork up for community use.

For example, all of the assets found in the images for this race are probably all nowhere to be found in the models section:
Northpact

Those Northpact assets are also not available in the "Projects of old" snapshot, which instead contains the "Freezing Legion" race which is a previous version with almost entirely different buildings and units.

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hey Retera. What a long story.

First of all. Models should only go into the same bundle if they are the same thing or versions of the same thing or if all of them must be combined to create a thing.

Second of all. If they are this simple, I may agree with Frank here. If people really want something, they will find it, also if it isn't in the models section. Posting a thread with your stuff is perfectly fine. Just make sure to write describing words so search engines can pick it up.

Third. You could upload the stuff where you put in more work to the models section. I am sure you can do a lot with a model in 10 minutes and make it useful, but I think if you upload something to the models section you should have spent a few hours at least. I know it's a weird boundary, but it's an intangible subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.