• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weirdness of Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
i've been trying to get the 'Light Bridge' to work in my map.

Here is the scenario. I have two space platforms and a lowered "empty space" between them. I want to put a bridge between them. Naturally the terrain deformation bridges are rather worthless and alter the terrain itself, i.e. they're very unflexible. So I went to the light bridge which is a unit and I thought would seemingly do what I was after. However when I place the bridge down between the two platforms and test the map, it's no were to be found.

However, when I show the terrain beneath its projected spot of creation, it shows up just fine. Which to my mind makes no sense, because the terrain is still THERE, it's just not being shown to the player.

So, why does the light bridge behave this way? Is there a work around or do I just need a little sliver of shown land beneath over bridge between two space platforms in order to get the bridge to show and functional properly? The bridge itself would actually let units cross from one platform to the other without terrain beneath it, but the model was either just plan lost or I guess so far down into oblivion were the rest of the units who walked over it went that it simply couldn't be seen.

Level 7
So is there any bridge model that can be safely placed inbetween two space platforms without using a terrain deformation that generates its own cliffs?

Or is walking under bridges still a triggered only event?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Walking under bridges is not supported as far as I know. The unit placement system would probably not know where a tall unit should be (over or under).

You can however get bridges which float in the air. Like I said, look for ones which are walkable (the models follow the base of the bridge) and use that with some pathing modifiers.

Level 7
i finally got a working bridge.

After learning how footprints work, the nuiances of the Light Bridge (it was slowly floating off into oblivion for a bit there for whatever reason), and figuring out how actor events + kinda work, I'm finally able to make unit A walk across a bridge without falling into oblivion itself, to unit B.

Success.

Is there anyway to edit the models vertex color? In the color tab there is a fourth parameter that I can't seem to alter when I try to modify it, I suspect that's the alpha, but don't have any idea how to change it.

Level 3
The way I use bridges is simply to put them between the two points you want to be able to cross. The bridge should be put so the editor recognizes it as laying on the ground between the two points (ergo, being too low). Then, simply click the bridge and raise the height, and voila, you got a bridge you can walk over.

Don't know if it's relevant, but I'll throw it out there, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.