• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weird Glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I was at a WoW LAN party type thing a little while ago. Me and a couple guys were going to run SFK. On the way there, one guy fell through the world. He just dropped through the ground. He was still visible on the map, and he started discovering zones and gaining XP. All he could see was sky. He tried logging out and in again, but he was still in the sky. We finally managed to get a mage to teleport him. Anyone else ever seen something like this?

Level 7
YES! The exact same thing happened to me as I was running through Silverpine in ghost wolf on my shaman. I was discovering the areas around the Undercity and could only see sky. I hearthed out after awhile. Good to know this happened to someone else.

Level 11
We finally managed to get a mage to teleport him

You mean a warlock to summon him don't you? Unless a mage fell through the world with him =/

I've never had this bug happen to me though some people I know have had it happen to them in other places heh.

Only time I personally fell through the world was in AB and it was the work of a hacker. He used a WoW hacking tool that moved all of the objects/doodads in Arathi Basin up a few yards only for his client, which allowed him to move out of the starting zone a minute before other players, he then mounted up road over to the alliance side and was Mind Controlling people, which somehow made them fall through the world into oblivion, he recorded it on fraps and put it on youtube lol, I was in it XD

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Its caused by a collision failure (failing to see the floor as something in the way). Higher FPS helps stop this from happening. Most likly to happen at sharp changes of elevation with low FPS or where the terane geometry is not correctly combined (tiny gaps that are on the sub pixcel level).

I know this as it happened to me in TES oblivion and all 3D collision with floors is simlar.

Level 13
Sm arm for me once, was farming for the tabard. Didn't get any exp though... /w'd a GM and he got me out after like 10 secs of waiting, fast GM I ever got.

Level 14
Its caused by a collision failure (failing to see the floor as something in the way). Higher FPS helps stop this from happening. Most likly to happen at sharp changes of elevation with low FPS or where the terane geometry is not correctly combined (tiny gaps that are on the sub pixcel level).

I know this as it happened to me in TES oblivion and all 3D collision with floors is simlar.
has nothing to do with fps - wow server calculates the collisions for all players, not the local comp

Level 2
He tried logging out and in again, but he was still in the sky. We finally managed to get a mage to teleport him. Anyone else ever seen something like this?

Actually mate the only class who can summon you from a distance is the Warlock by using summoning ritual which requires 2 players + the warlock so you're wrong by saying that mage ported him back^^

Level 2
Hehe yes but he didn't say anything about Meeting stone so it sounds like they got a mage to summon the player etc :)
And if they was full group 2 peeps are enough to summon you from the meeting stone so no need to look for more :)

They can override files in their mpq/WoW Directory(NOT RECOMMENDED).

You used to be able to do that, but they apparently added some program that checks those directories, and then reports you to Blizz if you find any.

I remember doing that before you weren't allowed to any more. I changed all the player models to the dragon whelps.

Although they probably did that so people couldn't make enemy players have huge models (like Ragnaros) so they would be easier to find in, for example, a BG.

The infamous hacking tracker system known as "The Warden" came by in one of pre-BC patches. People say that it has improved drastically since 2.3. It can detect even the smallest changes in the MPQ's, and it also gathers all kinds of non-personal data from your PC whenever it runs WoW. Previous versions were a bit faulty (there's been a case of a player being banned for using a wireless keyboard), however, the system was improved. The name was probably given by Maiev, since there have been strings located in the .dll's that lead to Maiev. Word also has it, that the Warden can be overridden by Glider (bot program).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Warden could easily be stopped by messing up its code so it become a bot for the user (sends data that the user wants blizzard to see) in which case he could use any kind of graphical mod. This will probably need some mega smart hacker or some one who can do bite code very well so probably would not be free. Anyway even if such a thing existed many sites (like us) will definatly not support it.

Level 17
You used to be able to do that, but they apparently added some program that checks those directories, and then reports you to Blizz if you find any.

I remember doing that before you weren't allowed to any more. I changed all the player models to the dragon whelps.

Although they probably did that so people couldn't make enemy players have huge models (like Ragnaros) so they would be easier to find in, for example, a BG.
Heh, I know of that, that why the parenthesis with not recommended was added, you can get in alot of trouble by file overriding, but it still is possible to do.

Level 9
Modifying anything in your WoW directory, except for addons is against the terms of use these days. I never did it myself, but my guildies sure had some fun turning into cows or blood elves.

About the collision, I've had some annoying situations as well; I got feared through a doodad in the Lordaeron Arena and fell through the floor. My ally was already dead so it was a 1v1. Eventually, somehow, the match ended, with my opponent victorious. Very, very unfair!

Finally, the warden is indeed "Hackable" - there's currently some bots in use that seem to circumvent the warden's security. But let's face it, it's really not worth the trouble, as the game is much more enjoyable playing it just the way it's made. Bugs or no bugs.

Level 17
Actually I similiar incident just happened earlier today at a friends house, I was around the Hand of Guldan in Shadowmoon Valley when I went about 1/4 through the mountain and then just stopped(although my walk animation was still being continuously played, I couldn't even use the un-stuck tool to fix it, I just sat there until I was assisted by a GM. The weird thing is, his PC is pretty decent, only a year or two old(although I'm not sure which setting were being used). :eekani:

Level 4
LOL while everyone was on the topic of WOW modding, when I figured it out i made mods like changing trolls into bone golems or turning orcs into murlocs. I was having so much fun in a new game I could mod and enjoy with others (hence why I love WC3) so anyways I never thought of using it to cheat. when they fixed it i was heartbroken TT_TT I still skin the game because that has been cofirmed by GM's to not be a problem. but it still just isnt the same when you raid ragnaros with an army of murlocs in epic gear.

*on topic*
I was walking near durotar a year ago and a Square dissapeared in the ground. This gto my attention so i went over to check it. I jumped in (I'm so stupid). and it poofed me into the max height in the sky. I fell and died on the ground where the square was, I was about as confused as i was laughing.

Level 36
LULZ the same thing happened to me when I jumped into space from the caverns of time. I didn't get my eyes sucked out or died of oxygen or floated into the sun and got incinerated, noooo! I fell straight down and landed in the ocean somewhere under Tanaris.

I was walking near durotar a year ago and a Square dissapeared in the ground. This gto my attention so i went over to check it. I jumped in (I'm so stupid). and it poofed me into the max height in the sky. I fell and died on the ground where the square was, I was about as confused as i was laughing.

I always do that if I see something wrong. Once, this is serious, I was 5 manning Naxxramas with my guild and I got the priest to mind control me while I was mind controlled by the boss (I think Kel'thuzad?). I don't know if this can happen any more, but after the few seconds of being controlled by the priest, the mind control from KT wore off and then we were left with me and my control back but a permanent lightning bolt between me and the priest... sadly this was removed when we left the instance :(

Status
Not open for further replies.