• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lord of the rings online??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey i read this guys profile and he said he was gonna go to lord of the rings online so i decided to download it...14 percent and dling still...so i was wondering did anyone play it and if so is it a :thumbs_up: or is it a :thumbs_down: ?Mature people only plz.

Level 15
Well, I have only tried the demo, as you are. And I have mixed impressions. The graphics are Ok. Not too much to brag about, still, people are. And the rest is just like another MMO. Though it has its ups. The game has those cool features which makes you want to play it. Like the instrument playing system, where you actually play the an instrument with your keybord.

Level 15
I loved the game. It simply blew me away. I saw ALL the characters from the books in the demo! And I just had SO MUCH FUN! The combat system is better than World of Warcraft's (the abilities are just so much cooler). The community was friendlier, and the game was a blast to play!

Level 13
As a member of the closed beta, I have this to say.

It's a lot better than WoW. The players, like Nerzhul said, are so much friendlier, Player vs. Monster Player is great. You can meet all the key characters. You get A LOT more satisfaction when you get a gold in LOTRO than in WoW (1000 silver = 1 gold in LOTRO) And the best part is; when I play as my human, I am not buff as all hell.

Seriously, I want to play as a human, not the incredible hulk.

So yeah, LOTRO > WoW

Level 36
It got Game of the Year and a 5/5 on Gamespy I believe. It's very well made, if not innovative. It basically follows the same formula as WoW, it has a few unique features, but nothing mind-blowing or genre-bending. A game like that is needed to take out WoW, and LOTRO just doesn't have the kajones.

Level 15
But it had a GREAT release, and when I had my trial, there were players that were already like level 60 or so. The best part about LotRo other than the stuff mentioned, is that you get to become part of the story I.E. you start out in an "instance", which rocks.

Level 13
And in each of the instances, you meet important characters... sorta.

When humans or hobbits they get screwed over and get left with a ranger I never knew about until I saw him.

Level 15
Amdir, I believe his name was. But the Dwarfs and Elfs get to meet famous Elfs (forgot their names at the moment), and the Dwarfs get to see the Dwarfs from the books (I remember seeing Buri, King Dain, Gimli, AND Gandalf).

Level 36
Remember that it is 'Elves' and 'Dwarves' rather than the proper English spelling with an 'f'. Tolkien always spelled it with a 'v', and if you read the prerface to the Lord of the Rings again, you'll see that he expresses his frustratyion, after publishers/editors insisted it be changed.

Level 15
Yeah, I didn't read the preface of my (probably) newer version of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy (in one book), but I believe you. Since I DIDN'T read it, I didn't know it was with a 'v-e-s' as in "wolves" or "leaves".

Level 15
I had my doubts, I thought it was one of those knock-offs... I read on wikipedia that Lord of the Rings was (illegally?) published by an American company without permission (any conformations?) .

Level 13
Actually Tolkien originally wanted it to be one large book, but because the amount of paper needed to publish one copy would've apparently been so expensive, it had to be a trilogy, which did not delight Tolkien in the least.

He originally wanted The Return of the King named "War of the Ring" But for some reason (I think it was because it sounded violent, I cannot fully remember) it was named Return of the King. Tolkien didn't like that either as it ruined the ending.

Level 15
It wasn't really a trilogy, despite what the movies may make you think. My all-in-one trilogy split them up into individual books, stating that Tolkien had made them more than just a trilogy, but they are often grouped up that way.

Level 13
I need to get my hands on the prequels to the LOTR series (minus the hobbit, which i have read at least 5 times and love) I cant remember they're names though, do you guy's know ?

Level 36
There is only one actual 'Prequel' which is the Silmarillion. It's less of a narrative and more like many narratives that all have to do with the beginnings of Middle Earth etc. After that, definetly pick up Unfinished Tales, as its like a compedium of everything you ever wanted to know about LOTR. It's my personal favourite outside of the Trilogy/Hobbit. If you can slog through that, well my friend, there are TWELVE History of Middle Earth volumes (I've read them all, sadly don't own all of them yet), and each provide different narratives and commentary to do with the events of the Silmarillion (The beginning of time and ages before LOTR).

Good stuff.

Level 15
My Uncle said (and I believe it as well) that the Silmarillion was confusing and stupid because it only focused on Elves, (despite LotR Elves kicking much ass, of course) and was hard to comprehend, as is the way of Tolkien's writing. "You don't read it, you LEARN it." Heh.

Level 36
It's not a narrative. It's a collection of stories. Your Uncle didn't read it very thuroughly (or not at all) because one of the chief parts to it is the fall of men via Numenor. It's the classic Atlantean tale remoded for Tolkien's world.

But yeah, it's a collection of writings starting at the beginning of time. MEN WEREN'T CREATED YET. Thus, they don't come in until later.

It's not for the faint of heart. If you only mildly care about Tolkien then you are totally wasting your time.

Level 15
I don't mildly care about Tolkien, but as I mentioned before: "You learn (study) it, you don't read it." With this in mind, I'm only learning about the third age, unless the trilogy has some things to say about the first and second, which it does. Something about Elves coming from the Western lands of Valinor (conformation, please?) and leaving the light of the Simarils or something... I don't know, it's confusing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.