• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Weapons and other special effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi, i know how to add effects but im making a map (and hopefully ill make more) where when u get an item your character gets the special effect of a weapon or shield. I can do that but how do i remove the effect without destroying any other effects that are on at the same time if u read me. Like this 'Bob picks up Longsword, longsword.mdx attached to right hand. Bob then picks up wooden shield, woodenshield.mdx attached to left hand. Bob drops longsword, remove last created effect Xnope cant do that. Im guessing u have to associate a variable or something with the trigger that puts it on or something but i dont know how. Plz help me

Level 5
This can be done with out any tirggers. All you have to do is add an ability to the item. Make an ability like Damage Bonus. Then change the Target Art for this and add the attach points. Then when the unit pick it up or drops the item the effect will come and go (there might be like a 3 second part where the model will stay on the unit when they drop the item depending on what model you use)

Hope this helps

Level 7
Chaoticalism said:
Hi, i know how to add effects but im making a map (and hopefully ill make more) where when u get an item your character gets the special effect of a weapon or shield. I can do that but how do i remove the effect without destroying any other effects that are on at the same time if u read me. Like this 'Bob picks up Longsword, longsword.mdx attached to right hand. Bob then picks up wooden shield, woodenshield.mdx attached to left hand. Bob drops longsword, remove last created effect Xnope cant do that. Im guessing u have to associate a variable or something with the trigger that puts it on or something but i dont know how. Plz help me

when u acquire the item
- destroy var_weaponSE
- create special effect sword on right hand of unit X
- set var_weaponSE to last created special effect

other one
- destroy var_shieldSE
- create special effect shield on left hand of unit X
- set var_shieldSE to last created special effect

dropped
- destroy var_weaponSE or var_shieldSE

Level 5
shiggityshwa said:
This can be done with out any tirggers. All you have to do is add an ability to the item. Make an ability like Damage Bonus. Then change the Target Art for this and add the attach points. Then when the unit pick it up or drops the item the effect will come and go (there might be like a 3 second part where the model will stay on the unit when they drop the item depending on what model you use)

Hope this helps

Hmm very strange, ive done all of this

Art - Target Machete.mdx
Art - Target Attachment Point 1 right hand

But for some wierd reason it adds it to the right foot. Ive tried with special art target but that does nothing.

Ive also put
Target Attachments 1
Ive just managed to do it. ive done this

Art - Special......................Machete.mdx
Art - Special Attachment Point.....right hand
Art - Target.......................Machete.mdx
Art - Target Attachment Point 1....hand
Art - Target Attachemnts...........1

Why does that happen? with right hand, right foot, and i even tried right fist, the attachment went on the right foot. Error with my editor or just something else?

Level 5
Hmm this is would i would have done

Art - Target.......................Machete.mdx
Art - Target Attachment Point 1....right,hand < unlike the trigger action you need to put 2 feilds in 1st right 2nd hand
Art - Target Attachemnts...........1

don't realy need the special arts
The models were most likly going to the origin which i think is the defualt attach point when it has no or an incorect path.

Status
Not open for further replies.