• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 Model editor: Making a model smaller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I am aware that I am able to scale down the unit size in object editor, however that won't change the fact that spell effects and buff won't fit the model, which is why I have to scale it down using WC3 model editor. However when I go to model editor -> Selection -> Select All -> Transformations -> Scaling and sits the value to half, the animations seems to fuck up. The model has gotten smaller but whenever it does an animation the parts seems to be ripped apart in the progress... Looks very weird.
Can anyone explain to me detailed, how to reduce the size of an animated model the right way? (without harming texture, animations and such.)

Level 4
I know exactly what you are talking about.

I'm trying to make a model bigger and the animations totally get messed up. Also, in the Object Editor in WE you can only increase or decrease the model size up to a cap. You can technically make it display a value greater than the cap (which is 10 I think) by doing the ctrl + shift trick, but the thing is it will not register in game.

We are missing some important information about magos model editor, orrrrr, we are just going to have to buckle down and overhaul all the nodes and maybe even have to download a separate program hat handles model animations. UNLESS, somebody knows otherwise, that is my best guess here.

For your case, if you don't mind a poor man's remedy, you can just gather all the buffs you are using and scale them down instead of scaling the model down. Buffs and attachments usually dont have too many animations, so you can probably get away with it. Plus it won't take up too much file space, since they are so simple. Also, if the buff is just a particle emitter in essence, you can edit the particle emitter to make it smaller by right clicking it on the node editor, tinker around with the width, height, speed, gravity and such. Hoped I helped a little until we get a definitive answer about scaling a model up/down with respect to its original animations.

Level 6
Use this, make sure you set a New File (output).
It will not screw up your animations, but keep in mind if the unit has animations with shifted movement like say a jumping animation, the jump would look like a much bigger jump in a scaled down unit.
Also if the model has particle effects and such, those would not scale down either.

Attachments

• geosettranslation.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 458
Level 4
Weird, when I run that program it always gives me error: such and such component or one of its dependcies is missing or something like that. Is that because this program was created a loong time ago and I'm running a 64-bit system?

Anyone got a suggestion for me now? I just need to keep my geosets in sync with the scale of my model, so whatever program can do that.

Thanks

[Edit]

Ok well I did some experimenting using Magos and got a little closer. What I found is that you can go to the node manager and click edit node, then there is a button to let you scale that node. So I set all of them to the same value and it is a little closer. The model doesn't rip itself apart anymore, but its still weird. In my case I have a gate that I want to scale up. After scaling the nodes the gate doesn't open during its open animation, but rather the doors stay shut and the far ends of the gate bend inwards. Do I have to scale pivot points too? Any pointers?

Last edited:
Level 4
Thanks for the tip Kitabatake.

I got oinkerwinkle's geoset translator set up correctly now. I hit yet another road block though, every time I try to translate and see the new model in the model editor, the model still animates incorrectly (in my case it twists in a mind bending way, totally not inkeeping with the original, normal animation, which is what I want)

The operation itself is somewhat simple..

All I want to do is rotate it about the Y axis by -45 degrees, and about the Z axis by -60 degrees. and the scale is 36 times bigger than the original model.

Am I supposed to scale it in magos before I translate geosets? Or does someone mind sharing the correct procedure?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
All I want to do is rotate it about the Y axis by -45 degrees, and about the Z axis by -60 degrees. and the scale is 36 times bigger than the original model.

You could try to do that step by step. First try just scaling the model, see if it works and then rotate by one axis and see results again before continuing.

Btw. If I recall correctly, the geoset translation tool has the Y and Z axis switched to each other.

Level 4
Ok, interesting, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. One model I successfully translated, but the other model came out 20% weird still even under the same procedure.

Good enough though, yayy.

Also for anyone who keeps getting errors, make sure to save models from magos first as .mdx, and convert them to .mdl afterwards (using another converter). If you use magos to convert to .mdl, oinkers always throws errors at you (or at least it did for me).

Level 3
I am aware that I am able to scale down the unit size in object editor, however that won't change the fact that spell effects and buff won't fit the model, which is why I have to scale it down using WC3 model editor. However when I go to model editor -> Selection -> Select All -> Transformations -> Scaling and sits the value to half, the animations seems to fuck up. The model has gotten smaller but whenever it does an animation the parts seems to be ripped apart in the progress... Looks very weird.
Can anyone explain to me detailed, how to reduce the size of an animated model the right way? (without harming texture, animations and such.)
Yea Bro, i know your problem. I tried very hard to solve this problem and i did it. The way is very simple. First, you must download Retera Model Studio, you can find it in link of down side. After opening your model file with Retera Model Studio, click to "Edit". In the "Edit" you can see your model in 4 screens. And you can see 5 tool at down of "Manipulate" title to right side of page. Click to "Scale" after that, make sure to selected both of "Mesh" and "Nodes" in left side of page. Now, take in selection circle to your model with left button of mouse on one of 4 screens except right down side. At last, You can resize your model with your mouse. You just need to slide your mouse to down or up when hold on the right button of mouse. To down for larger size, to up for smaller size. But when resizing your model, you must attention to balanced. The base of your model should be at the intersection of the most obvious vertical and horizontal line. And of course, don't forget to selected both of "Mesh" and "Nodes" this is important! If you don't, then your model's shape will be corrupt.

Retera's Model Studio | HIVE

Note: If your model's portrait animation not separated, then you must separate. Because, when re-scaled your model, then your model's portrait animation will looks too far or too near in the game. You must download your original model again and open it with War3 Model Editor. (Why don't Retera? Because, i don' find this option in Retera. If you find it, please tell me too.) Then remove all animations except portrait animations in Window>Sequence Manager. After that, save this file like that = ModelName_Portrait.MDX(or MDL). Now, open again your re-scaled model and remove it all portrait talk animations. After all of this, import your model files to the game. Now, your models portrait talk animation will be normal.

War3 Model Editor | HIVE

Last edited:
Level 20
Note: If your model's portrait animation not separated, then you must separate. Because, when re-scaled your model, then your model's portrait animation will looks too far or too near in the game. You must download your original model again and open it with War3 Model Editor. Then remove all animations except portrait animations in Window>Sequence Manager. After that, save this file like that = ModelName_Portrait.MDX(or MDL). Now, open again your re-scaled model and remove it all portrait talk animations. After all of this, import your model files to the game. Now, your models portrait talk animation will be normal.

You're almost there....

What you should have done in this case was ALSO select the Camera in the left pane's list along with the Mesh and Nodes. In other words when you're scaling everything in the model, you really do want to scale everything.

Level 3
You're almost there....

What you should have done in this case was ALSO select the Camera in the left pane's list along with the Mesh and Nodes. In other words when you're scaling everything in the model, you really do want to scale everything.
My english is not so good, i don't fully understand you. Please reply this with more simple words. If you are don't understand to my message, then i can use some pictures for better understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.