• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Wc3 Hangs when I buy my custom hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm attempting to create dummy skills that can be learned by a hero that won't create an icon, but are still on the hero (so they don't keep reverting back to level 0 in the hero's learned skills, like when I use a trigger to remove the ability or put it in a disabled spellbook).

The way I've tried doing this is to use item abilities that naturally don't have an icon. So far, I've tried explode on death, item stat bonus and sphere. (I also tried chaos, not realizing what it was, but I'm sure you realize why that one didn't work out. Go, Warden Siege Engine!). I took these skills, created 3 copies of them (one for str/agi/int) reduced their effects to nothing and made a trigger to increase the respective stat of the hero when the hero learns a level of them.

This all works fine for the ability learning and such, but as long as these skills are on the hero, the game hangs for a few seconds when I buy the hero from the hero tavern. I've tested removing triggers and such, and it is the abilities that correlate to the hang. Is there any way to use these abilities without the hang? Or perhaps is there another skill that I could use that won't show an icon but won't cause a hang?

EDIT: Oh, one more note: I tried testing the skills with item skill true and false. Neither way seemed to make any difference in the hang.

Level 2
Hm...that's a pretty good idea. I'll bet an aura wouldn't have as much of an issue being converted to a hero ability like that. I'll give that a try. If it still hangs, I guess I'll just have to live with it. Hopefully I can find a way to just keep it reduced as much as possible.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Level 7
Yeah, I'm not too sure why WC3 hangs when you do things like that - for example, WC3 hanged when I gave an unit a permanent stat bonus ability. But it was only for the first time - as if the game was "loading" the ability or something.

So my advice: have a pre-loading time at the beginning of a game.

Level 2
I thought about doing something like that, but I'm kinda afraid that, when I preload it, it'll be the hang from all the heroes with the stat bonus ability (which will be -all- of them) combined into one massive hang.

I'm heading into bed, so I don't really have the time to piece it together and test it till later on, but I'm hoping the aura will help. I will give the preloading a try, as well, and I'll post the results here.

Thanks for the help.

Level 7
Well, if you hang too much at a time, you might risk desync. If you really HAVE to, you can break up the pre-loading into chunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.