• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

In Game Customizable Heroes {buying abilities for the Learn ability panel}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
There was a thread about this earlier but the prefix was set to ignore, and there was no solution to the problem in it, so I thought the best thing to do was to make another thread.

My problem is I'm trying to set up a system like in Custom Hero Arena, where players customize there heroes abilities by buying items which in turn give the unit the ability. I've done this to the point where there hero receives the ability, but it goes directly to the control panel, and is not in the learn ability panel, in which you can spend skill points to level the ability up. If anyone knows how to make it so once a hero buys a specific item, it gains and learnable ability that would be great. Ty.

Level 28
This is just an idea:

Create a dummy unit and a dummy ability:
The dummy unit has the same model as the model of the player's hero (each player has it's own dummy).
The dummy ability is the ability learn-button, basically it doesn't do anything.

Create a trigger that, when you choose an ability for your hero, the dummy will receive another dummy ability (I know, a lot od dummies), that dummy ability is the learn-ability.

(e.g.: The hero learns "Chain Lightning", the dummy will learn "Learn Chain Lightning").

If the dummy unit casts one of those abilities, upgrade the level of the linked ability for the

Total story in-game:

You choose a hero: this hero has only 1 ability at the start: "Learn Skills", after that you can pick an ability,
You like firebolt, so you buy firebolt, the hero will learn the "Firebolt", the dummy unit will learn "Learn Firebolt".

If the hero clicks the learn skills-button and he has any skill points left (which should or triggered, or with lumber), the dummy-unit is selected (if the dummy unit is targetted to a point, the hero will move to that point as well).
When the dummy unit casts "Learn Firebolt", increase the level for the actual heroes' "Firebolt" and decrease the skill points by 1 (of course).

Now you've got a system that looks like it's a hero ability, but it actually isn't...

Level 1
I had this problem once. You need to add every single ability you want to be available to each hero. Then when the hero spawns disable each ability. When the hero purchases an ability from a shop do.
  • Events
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Player - Enable Holy Light for Player 1 (Red)
That will allow the hero to learn the ability in his spellbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.