• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 Custom Campaign - Salvaging Maps from Corrupted .w3n file

Level 2
Hi Everyone,

I've been working on a blizzlike custom campaign for the last seven months, with voicelines, techtrees, easter eggs etc.
I had just opened my campaign to add a sheep that drops a clarity potion onto one of the maps before saving. I don't believe that I turned off my PC before the save was complete but I've seen 2 other threads that lead me to think this is the primary cause of the issue I'm about to describe.

I opened up battlenet today and found that for whatever reason it had forgotten where my WC3 file location was, so I added it back and no longer tried to make me reinstall the game.
Upon trying to open it today I found that it didn't even register that I had tried to open the .w3n campaign file. It just remained still as if I had not tried to open anything.
Other campaigns could be opened fine. I also noticed that I could no longer see the option to play it in WC3. I tried this on a different computer and the same issue remained.

Unfortunately I stupidly had been backing up all the assets that I was using such as voice lines, music, models/icons, custom icons, etc. But had not remembered to actually backup the campaign file itself as it was in the Campaigns folder.

I was wondering if anybody knew anyway in which it might be possible to open up the campaign and extract maps, gui/jass code or the campaign unit/object data from the file? Similar to MPQ editor or casc editor? I am at a loss as to what to do, but the idea of redoing all the units, abilities, icons, spells, AI scripts, terrain and triggers is a bit overwhelming. If I can even get one of these things it would make recreating the maps much much easier.

Please if anybody has any ideas or experience in this sort of thing, reach out to me or let me know if you have any ideas.

- Campaign file attached for reference.

Last edited:
Level 2
Unfortunately MPQ seems to give me "Failed to open the MPQ... An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format"
Is there anyway to restore the integrity to the file? Or to separate it out into the components of maps, custom data, etc?