• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Way to lower file size on models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I know how to shorten the filesize a lot with skins. Just lower the size to 128 or 256. My question is if it is possible to shorten the filesize on models. For example the physical size of a model can be enlarged in world edit, but the majority of the models that are initially small are small in filesize, but the bigger models like arthas and the mountain giant are bigger in filesize. Anyway, can a model be shrunk without creating much problems to make it smaller in file size?

Level 25
That's got nothing to do with anything

The reason they're bigger is because of animation data, vertex data, and whatever else data, be it particles or what not

So basically, you have to remove unessential animations, particle emitters, use less polygons and other such things

Making the model smaller in size will do nothing

Level 3
Ok I changed the animations to linear but... hehe the models anims now look like a cartoon character. It made him look like a piece of paper that walks and fights... So are there any other alternatives? I took off the Stand_Victory Animation, but the filesave barely went down abot 10kb at most. So yeah... I need help please.

Level 7
why would you want to reduce the quality of a model?? deleting animations and so forth?? that sounds crazy to me... you have to understand that new and extra models take up alot of space in maps and arent really meant for battlenet, there meant for campaigns and personal entertainment. You wont see a map on bnet with a bunch of good models in it since the max file size is limited to 4 meg.

Level 3
Im making a map for BNET or single player and im trying to keep my qouta down to 2 mbs with many skins and icons from this site.
Heres what I got so far:
-30 icons(with the disabled)
-exactly 28 unit skins
-2 models with some misc skins attached to it
-and a 192 by 192 map which will have many doodads and units to cover it up.

Ok now I made each skin have a filesize of 26kb to 56kb. They still look excellent in-game even though I lowered the filesize to 128 pixels. Now those 2 models are a problem because one of the models is about 315kb (Its Misarecord's Deimos model). This model is almost essential for one of the characters, but it is almost tempting to delete it and put about 5 more skins in the place of it. Now if I could just reduce it about 100kb, then I should meet my quota.

Anyway, my question is would it be possible to delete the animation entries of the .mdl version in Notepad? If not, could I do it in the "War3 Model Editor" from the tools section?

Level 23
Yes, you could, but it would take you hours. You see, some people think that by deleting the entry in the Sequences area, then the animation goes poof and disappears. No. You'd need to cycle through every bone, and remove the keyframes in the animation interval... Hence why Oinkerwinkle produced his own Animation Remover, one must assume. It's quick and effective at seriously reducing file sizes.

Level 3
Ok I found Oinkerwinkle's site, but I cant find his animation remover tool. I have the animation transfer tool, but it only adds animations to a model. So can you please give me a link where I can find this tool?
Hey thx so far for the help. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.