• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WASD Plus Mouse Camera

Hey guys, I think i created the game of the devil. For me personally, at least.

I used Jass NewGen Pack where test map button launches WoW sim on map, and game install has WoW MPQs available for data. Its not finished but the loader does on-the-fly transcription of original Lua+XML ui to the FDF system of our technology. What this means is I can choose WoW Tileset in map editor and draw a map in Tanaris style or Westfall style, drop in doodads from WoW MPQ, and then press Test Map and run around. I hardcoded it to use the Unit ID 'plyr' as the unit it spawns for WASD movement.

Tanaris example:

Westfall Example:

Elwynn Example:

Feralas Example:

When I draw a map in this program, it burns my brain inside to think about that a better version of this existed in Bobby's office all along and I never got to play with it.

So, my World Editor Help Zone request is for this same system but with Reforged so it can play on multiplayer. Does anyone have anything like that? I know CanFight FPS was similar but I dont think he had the click to spin camera. I was hoping someone could make the click-to-spin camera on Reforged client like this so that we had it on the real one instead of only on my dream visions (visionary brainstorm, like shown in above videos, but now for real).

The idea would be that we make a lua or jass system that could drop in to any map, and then each player gets a WASD controlled unit and a click-to-spin camera

Edit: Also, on the Westfall brainstorm video I was using ESC key to toggle between WoW and Wc3 interface mode. It would be nice if we include a feature like that as well.

• Events
    • Game - A player skips a cinematic sequence
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Control flow - If/then/else multiple functions
      • If - Conditions
        • Variable - (MeleeUIVisible[(Player index of (Triggering player))]) Equal to True
      • Then - Actions
        • Variable - Set VariableSet MeleeUIVisible[(Player index of (Triggering player))] = False
        • UI - Hide Melee UI for (Triggering player)
        • UI - Show WoW UI for (Triggering player)
      • Else - Actions
        • Variable - Set VariableSet MeleeUIVisible[(Player index of (Triggering player))] = True
        • UI - Hide WoW UI for (Triggering player)
        • UI - Show Melee UI for (Triggering player)

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Is this relevant?

Level 10
Wait what? you are able to load WoW MPQ just like that?! This is amazing :D How do you do it?
As for request I am not sure what you need, I have worked more on the Mouse Camera system with WASP that deepstrasz posted.
I have made it multiplayer with combat mode with clicks (holding mouse for stronger hit). Is that what you are looking for?

Wait what? you are able to load WoW MPQ just like that?! This is amazing :D How do you do it?
No, I didn't. It's CGI. I used the "view in 3d" button from Hive Workshop model viewer and told it to preview this kind of gameplay with its CGI powers, for fun. So it lets me change however the code is made at the source code level, and make an easy mockery of WC3 modding with the CGI. Adding WoW camera controls took 4 hours one night when I felt like it. Loading an MPQ requires calling the load MPQ function or whatever.

So, I was wondering if you did it. But I wonder, when you use the invisible FDFs for mouse detection, can you have left click anywhere on the screen to spin the camera and right click to spin the hero? I kind of enjoyed those functions.

Level 10
No, I didn't. It's CGI. I used the "view in 3d" button from Hive Workshop model viewer and told it to preview this kind of gameplay with its CGI powers, for fun. So it lets me change however the code is made at the source code level, and make an easy mockery of WC3 modding with the CGI. Adding WoW camera controls took 4 hours one night when I felt like it. Loading an MPQ requires calling the load MPQ function or whatever.
I see, that's a brilliant method, I had a mini heart attack for a sec for this would have been to good to be true to be directly from the wc3 client
So, I was wondering if you did it. But I wonder, when you use the invisible FDFs for mouse detection, can you have left click anywhere on the screen to spin the camera and right click to spin the hero? I kind of enjoyed those functions.
Yes actually the demo map has this feature already. The "screen spinning" only activates when you hold the mouse key (from anywhere on the screen). Then your mouse is moved to the middle of the screens where the invisible FDFs are.
The only downside is that the mouse will not come back to it's original position once you realease it

Attachments

• 3Dcamera.w3x
    39.1 KB · Views: 7