• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Was interviewed for Game Developer, and in resume I put things I made here

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently I have been applying for jobs, mostly fullstack .NET developer, but every now and then I would apply for position of Unity developer, and besides games I built with it, I would also dedicate section of resume to mention maps, models & 2d art I have made here.

Feels nice to discuss it in interview :D.

Is it helpful? Are interviewers impressed by this?
I wouldn't say they were particularly impressed per se, because I have other projects that were more technically demanding, but they were certainly curious, because out of 4 projects I put on resume, they wanted to discuss this first.
I would say they found it interesting & unique, were asking various questions, and I got to talk about my first steps, interview was in more relaxed & friendlier tone after it.

Level 1
So recently I have been applying for jobs, mostly fullstack .NET developer, but every now and then I would apply for position of Unity developer, and besides games I built with it, I would also dedicate section of resume to mention maps, models & 2d art I have made here.

Feels nice to discuss it in interview :D.

To be honest, you're missing out on the big job scene that's going to be coming in the future. The 2020's have now hit, and now all the old game design companies as well as IT companies are coming out of hiding. Remember a lot of people need to raise their nephews, neices etc. to get them through school!

But yeah, all the greatest titles now are going to be in the works for this decade. Lots of big parties, lot of big shots coming back to the scene to try their take again. So and so's kid, etc. like "Oooh there's the junior Mr. Bean" etc! The key is that you need to focus on your career always for your city's infrastructure, remember that game design is not a career it's a hobby! Same with acting, music, art, etc. (I'm not saying I'm against those, I am into those also :D), the goal is you're supposed to finish school and then connect in more closer rings of people to get into these types of fields. You're not supposed to go on the internet to exactly get "game design jobs" same as you would other jobs!

Try to connect with people that are trying to make a game from scratch, and not interested in these "Unity" and "Byond" engines etc. All of those engines are stolen. I already know for a fact after people failed to use the Valve Hammer Editor, that nobody was going to know how to make a game without some weird rip. Most of those game projects get scrapped or slapped with a copyright notice for something. Remember you don't want to accidentally get mixed up with your name put down for something that ends up getting like 100+ people into trouble! The key is to always work in a close group of friends where you all still have your main jobs that you make for money, and then you actually sit down for business with someone to discuss something. Game design is more off the book than anything else, it's not so much a "business" sit-down! It's not even like acting or any performing job is, those are more professional in nature. Not to say it shouldn't have professionality to it, but I mean it's not like a real interview.

Always try to make a general resume for whatever your programming knowledge is, and give that to someone as a means of conveying what your skills are. Sometimes people have tried to mix their game design hobbies at home with resumes for other real programming jobs, and they end up getting turned down in like 2 minutes into the interview. The guy was already saying like "Okay, thank you, we're done and we'll let you know" etc. or they simply would write back a little angrily saying "I'm sorry, but this is not the kind of quality of worker we are looking for" etc. (normally they're a bit more polite).

Hope that helps! To be a game designer, you have to know programming and some type of science or physics related field!

Reminds me of when I was applying for an intern. Half of the portofolio I provided is practically Hive maps and spells :D
Pretty much this.
I miss being in professional game development. I'm sending out applications every now and then. Having some WC3/SC2 stuff to show is certainly good, but some Unity/Unreal projects would be better for most companies.
Yes, I use Hive resources I made as some sort of proof that I have been interested in game development for long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.