• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Interesting interview about Armies of Exigo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi guys,
Just to share with you this interesting interview of 2 old schoolers RTS players know as NTT and KrazyMofo. Those guys played almost any RTS game. Playing Armies of Exigp for a few moment know they agree to share their thoughts.

Full interview can be found here: http://www.aoxtactics.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=7

Sample:
NTT profile: Others RTS games played: WarCraft 2, SC/BW, C&C, Empires, SC/BW, SC/BW, and some SC/BW.

KrazyMofo profile: Others RTS games played: Warcraft 2, CnC: Red Alert, Starcraft: Broodwar, Warcraft 3, Age of empires

AoXT|Love: where did you heard about Armies of Exigo for the first time?
NTT: A mutual friend of ours brought it to my attention a few days before the open beta.
NTT: He said it reminded him of StarCraft, which naturally got my attention.
AoXT|Love: well, you've been playing many RTS games at a very high level. could you tell me what makes the difference between someone watching tones of replays and copying the good players BOs (but can’t compete at high level) and a very good players themselves?
KrazyMofo: execution
NTT: They don't understand the decision making process. What goes into performing a specific type of action.
NTT: If you watch replays, the skill isn't always apparent, because you look and go "well, that doesn't look too difficult", without realizing that the attack was executed vs a certain player with excellent timing.
AoXT|Love: and what do you think about this natural progression? some people say that AoX lack of originality...
KrazyMofo: well everything builds on previous games. Warcraft ripped off dune2 KrazyMofo: so..
NTT: Sadly game reviewers look for originality rather than quality gameplay, which is upsetting. :(

AoXT|Love: yes i see. and Armies of Exigo would be more closer to which other classical RTS game?
NTT: What Black Hole has done is taken all the ingredients that go into making an RTS game, and created a very nice game...
KrazyMofo: vanilla Starcraft.
KrazyMofo: which means without the expansion
AoXT|Love: some people see Starcraft in it, some other says that it's only a WC3 mock, what's your opinion about it?
NTT: Yeah, it plays a lot like early SC.
NTT: It plays nothing like WarCraft 3.
NTT: The only resemblance it has to WarCraft3 is superficial.
AoXT|Love: maybe because they are both fantasy rTS so graphi kind of look similar?
KrazyMofo: Graphically similar to war3, but plays nothing like it whatsoever
KrazyMofo: Well the main difference between war3 and AOX (besides heroes) is that units die if you make a mistake in AoX
KrazyMofo: in war3 you have literally about 2 minutes in a battle
KrazyMofo: to react

NTT: I think Blizzard had all the ingredients to make a really awesome RTS game, and just chose to travel the path of novelty and originality, and created something with incredibly bland and unoriginal gameplay.
NTT: Black Hole took the same ingredients and made a game that's not very original, but has high quality gameplay.
NTT: I know which I prefer. :(

Full interview can be found here: http://www.aoxtactics.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=7

HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.